Sweating at night

(Mike W.) #21

Have you ever had anxiety issues? Random sweating is one of my symptoms.

(eat more) #22

no sir

(Maria) #23

I had this really bad about six months into being fat adapted. (Hot flashes every 30 minutes day or night ) I was told by my doctor that fat does store hormones and can cause this as we burn up stored fat. It did eventually get better but I still do have them. They are just less frequent and milder. I still have about 25 pounds to lose and I am hoping once I reach that point they will get even better.

(Jeanette) #24

From an article on live strong: ā€œYou may sweat more on a low-carbohydrate diet for more than one reason. As your glycogen, or sugar levels deplete, you lose your ability to store water. Each gram of stored glycogen retains 4 g of water. As you must consume as much or more water while dieting than you did before you started your diet, you are going to expel water quickly, and some of this may be via sweating. At night, you may still have ketones to burn, and burning this form of energy can raise your temperature slightly in a rested state. This may also cause a slight increase in sweating at night.ā€

(KB) #25

Makes sense! Thank you for locating this infošŸ˜ƒ

(Christopher Avery) #26

This is good to know about Becky. Thank you.

(Christopher Avery) #27

Iā€™m grateful for this discussion as Iā€™ve noticed feeling warmer than usual since keto (2 months), especially at night.

(Carmon Beene) #28

Thanks for asking this question! 44 here, about a week in starting ketones and I woke up took the pup for a quick walk and then broke out in a sweat. Gigiā€™s answer makes sense to me. Actually quite a bit of the info here makes sense. Hysterectomy in 2014, about 2 years ago the weight started slowly coming on and before you know it I had gained 80 lbs with zero change in my diet. The last week has been rough, esp the last few days. I am fairly certain I could poke someones eyeballs out> I am sure that all the hormones stored up in my fat cells are being released. Thanks everyone.

(Whitney Lee) #29

This makes sense, thank you! Im 6 days into keto and the last 2 days i dropped my carbs from 70-80g down to about 30-35 and have woken up drenched in sweat both nights.

Other side notes I thought Id include, both nights I was more tired than normal and went to bed early. I was also more thirsty than normal. And Im not sure if this is related but after a year with no period, it came back on day 4 of keto (YAY!!!) No cramps, soreness or moodiness either, very clean.

I donā€™t think it has anything to do with food as I was fasting when it happened to me.

This has happened to me twiceā€“ironically I just mentioned it in a different post. My experience happened in the morning of day 3 of 5 day fasts on two separate occasions. I literally had to strip down to my underwear just to cool down, It took about 5 minutes before a felt some relief, itā€™s winter here so it frightened me a little bit. After reading replies to your post I see that it may be thermogenesis, Iā€™m looking forward to reading more about it

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #31

Its almost 4am in msiaā€¦i have been having these night sweats for past 2days w ketoā€¦im a keto newbie

(Lena Loves Life) #32

I noticed this too when I first started a year ago. When I sweated like this it was usually a sign I was in ketosis. I wasnā€™t sure what caused it. Iā€™ve been out of keto for almost a year going back into it on and off. I have recently restarted and have started the hot flashes again. Maybe Iā€™m in starting menopause? Since Iā€™m 47. I still have 35 pounds to go before I reach my goal. It wakes me up,and makes it hard to work. Great thing is it sheds all my water bloat.