Supplement, minerals vitamins

Do you recommend any supplements, minerals, B Vitamins etc on a strict keto diet?

(Robin) #2

Over the years on this way of eating, I’ve gone thru phases.
ALL the supplements and none. For quite a while now I only take magnesium and salt (for muscle cramps) and collagen for hair, skin, nails (vanity).

And all my labs are good.

(Edith) #3

There is nothing I will recommend, but I can tell you what I am currently taking.

Similar to @robintemplin I take magnesium, salt, vitamin D, and vitamin K. The first two are non-negotiables. The next two are “if I remember.”

I have recently entered the menopause and I suddenly started losing tons of hair. Since then, I have added in: msm, collagen, and some B-vitamins. It’s only been a few months since I added those in, so I can’t tell if they are making any difference with hair growth, yet. I have also upped my protein to 1g per pound of body weight a day to see of that helps. I’d prefer not to be bald if I can help it. :rofl:

(B Creighton) #4

Esp when beginning keto, I believe it is smart to supplement with minerals, but I now take them every night whether doing keto or not… mostly either magnesium glycinate or mag taurate, zinc picolinate or glycinate and boron(bororganic glycine). Starting keto tends to deplete minerals as water weight leaves the body. I take very small amounts of calcium in the morning and evening. In the mornings I also take a half dose of a whole food vitamin which provides some trace minerals with my morning yogurt, which I supplement with 10,000 IUs of vitamin D3 in the winter and at least 100 mcg of vitamin K2.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

If it’s a well-formulated ketogenic diet, supplementation should not be necessary, other than being sure to get the right amount of salt (which helps keep the other electrolytes properly regulated).

That said, however, certain people have problems with certain vitamins and minerals that may require supplementing. Myself, I have a persistent deficiency of Vitamin D, for example, so I take it in pill form, but that’s the only one I seem to need.

If you are including meat in your diet, you are probably getting enough Vitamin B. However, certain of the B vitamins are available only in meat, so if you exclude meat from your diet, you will need to supplement, especially B-12.

(Mark) #6

Not recommending anything. I am a little crazy with my supplementation
Morning on empty stomach: Vit B complex, Omega 3 fish oil, PQQ, Ubiquinol, NMN, Pterostilbene, TMG
Afternoon: Berberine, Pterostilbene, astaxanthin
Night: Berberine, B complex, Vit D/K2, Magnesium, astragalus, NAC

$$$$$$$$$ I know I’m nuts.

(KM) #7

I used to be this way and my biggest frustration was sensing that only some of my supplements actually did anything. But which ones?!!! I spent a fortune for a long time because I was afraid I’d make the wrong choice. Then I gave up all of it. Now I’m back to square one, because I’m sensing a lack of something, some building block I’m not getting. But which one?!!! Aaaak.

Most people around my area have a vitamin D deficiency and a potassium deficiency and I supplement both. I have a “vitamin cocktail” I take every morning along with my electrolytes. And in the evening with dinner. I take a multi vitamin, B-complex, and extra calcium for my bones and to support the calcium extra magnesium and K2. I also take a C-complex along with vitamin A some afternoons to help control an unexplained cough of 35 years going. But last year I added support for brain & heart health and anxiety. So I added PS100 (Phosphatidylserine,) Omega 3-6-9 fish oil, NAC, Co-Q10, and Aswaghanda with L-theanine.

For 25+ years I was reliant on 10-12 prescription meds for my health. I was able to quit them all after 4 months on Keto and remain off of all of them two years later. I switched to supplements. Other than the calcium, magnesium, vit D and potassium, I can’t say which of the others are really crucial. They are taken more for preventative, just in case reasons.