Supermarket Checkout Math

(Patrick L Anderson) #1

Anybody else here find themselves looking at the “treats” in the checkout line and working out the math in your head as to how many carbs one bite would equal? Maybe it’s just me…:grinning:

(Susan) #2

Hehe, I have never done that, but I have looked at them in a very new light, since being Keto. They do not tempt me anymore and have no power over me, like they did before =).

I do that too :face_with_hand_over_mouth: especially with bars and foods I used to eat, didn’t even think twice before they roamed into my mouth…
And those protein bars they started selling in stores (we have an explosion of them now), the ones that have “no sugar,” “lower sugar” or any of synonyms you can think of, written on them - I read the ingredients+nutritional values and cringe.

I do a different math: How many of these would cost the same as a pound of bacon. Usually about 4 candy/bacon.

(Patrick L Anderson) #5

I like that new math!

No its not just you…today I was in the queue at the checkout, hungry and picked up a “nutbar”… thought I could maybe eat it! Read the label on the nut bar. It contained what was described as glucose syrup from maize…which I guess would be high fructose corn syrup.

A nut bar! Had a chuckle. Put it back…the calculation didn’t work for me.

(Carl Keller) #7

My eyes are usually perusing the baskets of other shoppers in the checkout line. I feel like a fortune teller and instead of reading palms or rolled bones, I can predict a person’s future by the foods they choose to buy.

I sometimes stare in awe, as well, especially when the shopper is overweight/obese… I don’t mean to sound pompous, because I know how they could get better, but I wish I could shake them and tell them how to eat :joy:

(John) #9

Actually no, I never even look at the treats in the checkout line. I just realized that from reading your post - I don’t even notice them any more. It is like I forgot that there is even a display for that stuff.

Maybe because the only grocery store I shop at doesn’t really have that much up at the checkout line? I’ll have to look the next time I go.

But that is weird, now that you mention it. That I never even consciously see the displays now. Like how your eyes always see your nose, but your brain edits it out.