Super High HR!

(Zachary Boivin) #1

Hey all. I tried searching around here (and the rest of the internet) for some kind of reason for this…

I’ve been Keto for about 2 months now. Prior to that I’d been very, very carb dependent. Last July I finished Ironman Lake Placid.

Anyway… since going Keto I’ve seen my HR’s skyrocket. Not resting - that’s still in the mid to high 40’s, but any effort yields an incredibly high HR. I have slowed my pace substantially to stick to a MAF (Z1, Z2) effort, but had to perform a Lactic Threshold test today for my upcoming triathlon season of training.

The LTHR was sky high. The last 20 minutes of the test I was averaging 195bpm and topped out at 203.

Does anyone have a similar experience or a reason as to why this may happen?

Thanks in advance!

My understanding is that when fat adapted, which at 2 months you are probably somewhat, but not yet fully as an athlete (you should improve up to the 6 month mark, mitochondria to make, enzymes to upregulate), MAF heart rate is about 10-15 bpm faster than a carb burner. Took me ages to dig that up, until then I was trying for the 180-age zone and couldn’t bring myself to go that slow :slight_smile: More here

Basically as a carb burner your glycogen is right there in the muscle, as a fat burner it needs to be mobilized from the adipose, some of it needs to go through the liver etc.

So, try taking a conceptual 15 bpm off your results and see if it makes more sense, your heart is using a more efficient fuel with less bad by-products, so it can do more. Also may I recommend Phinney/Volek The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, I wish I read it earlier…

(Zachary Boivin) #3

Thank you so much. My results minus 15 is exactly where I was before. I also just purchased the book as well.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain this!

(Linda) #4

Also, with keto, one looses electrolytes and you need to supplement. Listent to 2KetoDudes interview with Dr. James DiNicolantonio who authored The Salt Fix. Supplementing with Redmond Real Salt, eating foods high in potassium, and including a magnesium supplement will help.

(Zachary Boivin) #5

Thanks for that as well! I supplement magnesium, use lite salt, and eat as many potassium rich foods as I can. I’ll definitely look up the interview though.