SUPER high blood glucose, both while fasting and after eating

(Charlotte) #1

Not sure I’m doing this right (I’ve never posted in this, or really any forum before, so apologies for any mistakes or faux pas, and I have no idea how to tag it)…

Anyhow. Hi! I’ve been following a strict keto diet for the past three months. I’ve been losing weight and feeling awesome, and my keto test strips show that I’m in ketosis (just the pee strips, a blood testing device isn’t really in my budget just now). All signs point to this working quite well, except that my blood glucose readings are high. Like, SUPER high. I’ve been averaging around 145 fasting and 165 2 hours after eating. I’m averaging maybe 10 grams of net carbs a day, and definitely under 20 total, and intermittent fasting doesn’t seem to have any impact. I’ve been looking around online for anyone else experiencing this, but I’m not finding anyone who is firmly in ketosis and experiencing this level of heightened sugars, or even close. Does anyone have any idea what might be up or how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks so much in advance!

*edit: the issue has been resolved. My testing strips were expired (hides face in embarrassment). Thanks so much to all who replied–what a lovely, responsive community!

(Jane Hull) #2

Wow, I guess I won’t be upset about my 107 in the morning. Are you having any sweeteners? My first inclination would be that your meter might be off. Could you borrow one or stop by your clinic?

What were your blood glucose levels before starting keto?

It’s not great to have high blood glucose + high ketones but I personally don’t know how things need to be to get dicey.

I would second the question that maybe there’s something wrong with your machine? Feeling awesome + losing weight + high blood sugar is an unusual combination.

(Charlotte) #5

For sweeteners, mostly just liquid stevia, and erythritol, monk fruit and sucralose on occasion. But I’ve been using less and less as my sugar cravings have dissipated. Trying another meter is a really good idea, that would be amazing if the problem were just a faulty reading. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

(Charlotte) #6

Honestly, about the same. I am starting to wonder if my meter really is off as jmh suggested.

(Charlotte) #7

I thought it was weird! Definitely trying a new meter as soon as I can get my hands on one.

(Raj Seth) #8

Learn about the lipolysis cycle doing supply driven gluconeogenesis. The way Jason Fung / Megan Ramos describe it its about pockets of glucose within the fat cells - a little far fetched for me.
I think it’s about fat being released by partially disfunctional lipocytes in a unregulated fashion. These fatty acids or glycerol SOE something then somehow goes to the liver and pronotes too much gluconeogenesis- or liver manufacturing glucose.
I had this issue. Fasted 3 days and having an BG readings of 120-130!!!
All gets better with more fasting and more time under keto. I was 5.9 A1c in April 2018. 7.4 pre keto (Oct 2017). No medications since 1/23/2018

(Charlotte) #9

OK, I’m super embarrassed and super grateful. It occurred to me that my test strips themselves were a bit old (I went through a period of denial after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes where I didn’t test my glucose regularly because I didn’t want to know, so I had a bit of a back stock), so I decided to check those before buying a new meter that my insurance wouldn’t cover, and lo and behold–they were very much expired. I threw them out and opened a non-expired pack and tested my blood sugar–I last ate about 4 hours ago–and it was 107 (ironically enough)! I almost cried I was so relieved, and I am not a crier. I’d been so convinced I was doing something wrong, despite all other evidence to the contrary, that I didn’t even consider there might be an issue with the instruments I was using. Thank you so, so much for putting that idea in my head. I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate it. I feel so much better about everything now, and I can’t wait to see what my actual fasting blood sugar is in the morning. Bless you.

Simple mistake; most important result is that you’re now sorted. Forget about it, relax and move on. Delighted you’re now “fixed” :smile:

(Jane Hull) #11

I’m so glad you figured it out!

(Raj Seth) #12

Consider purchasing a Bayer contour next one. About $10.

4% accurate va 15-20% for one touch etc. (per NIH website). Strips are $22/100 on amazon.
Way way more accurate, compact and blue tooth to your phone

(Charlotte) #13

Oh, wow! Great suggestion, thanks so much!

yay!! glad you figured this out :grin:

(icky) #15

Thanks @Rajseth! :blush:

I’ve been looking on Amazon and have been overwhelmed by the huge array of choices and price ranges! I just ordered one of these! :+1:t3::+1:t3:

(icky) #16

Yay @Chazzam - well done! :blush:

Yay Keto community! :blush:

(Jane Hull) #17

Thanks, I need to look. I used to use a Freestyle Lite and liked it then my insurance made me change and I hate the new one. It seems inconsistent compared to the old one but the strips are too expensive to use the Freestyle.

(Raj Seth) #18

My insurance covered 50 strips a month at $25 copay. For $22 I can buy 100 contour next strips cash!! And the meter was $10

(Jane Hull) #19

I am paying $40 for 100 now. If my doctor writes the prescription correctly! I really hate my meter. It’s a one touch ultra.

(Raj Seth) #20

One touch ultra. I threw away 4 of those. So fricking inaccurate. Doc wrote a prescription for the bayer but insurance would not cover it. So I just saved myself the money and grief