Sugar Addiction documentaries

(Vladaar Malane) #1

Please share your favorite sugar addiction documentaries with me.

I find the below youtube one interesting but not completely factual. One it says sugar from fruits doesn’t count and two it suggests artificial sweeteners. I am trying to associate sugar with weight gain by reinforcing how terrible it is in my mind. That worked for me with wheat, I don’t know that I will forever kick sugar if I do the same, but greatly reduce it’s addictive power over me. Sugar seems to be the one craving that calls to me now and then even when hunger satisfied from fat. Even if that craving is dark chocolate, cheesecake or peanut butter it is the start of something I am trying to reduce. I find that it draws me even into ice cream occasionally. Not that having those things once in a while is bad per say, but I find once I have it I want it more frequent and it’s not jiving with my goals.

P.S. I GOTTA have it!!! LoL

I found another that seems interesting, but haven’t watched it yet.

(Bunny) #2

The Real Horror of Halloween? It’s Totally Sugar! (Tips on How to Save Your Kids)

Good read, thanks for posting.

(Vladaar Malane) #4

Also those that do not use sugar…

Is that in all products or do some things like ranch dressing or sour cream have natural sugar that you don’t count? I assume that’s different based on the person who is doing that.

(Running from stupidity) #5

Sugar is net carbs and they all count.

That seems really quick. I think he picked his grams because that is what the average Australian eats. While fatty liver is on the rise, not everyone has it. I can understand a year or even 6 months but 18 days? Is he more vulnerable because he had been eating no sugar previously?

(Bunny) #8

Wow Aussies eat a lot of sugar!

“… Over 60 days, Gameau consumed 40 teaspoons of sugar a day — all hidden in processed, so-called healthy foods.

“By the end I’d developed pre-type two diabetes, I had heart disease, I had 11 centimetres of visceral fat. But the big one was, the non-alcoholic fatty liver disease was almost in a full-blown state,” he said. …” …More

Could be his genetics and age, more susceptible (predisposition) to sugar damage, I do not know much about his educational background but he may have accidentally hit something bigger than he realized?

That Sugar Movement

(Vladaar Malane) #9

LoL, the taboo topic Carl and Richard mention sometimes when parents think about bringing Keto for their kids.

Damon Gameau says, “I think maybe I could have, in hindsight, gone into more detail in explaining the difference between fruit and added sugar - let’s not start demonising fruit, especially for kids. That’s part of a healthy, balanced diet.”

I think the key for children is smart fruit choices and moderation. Apparently he got some grief on that from the movie. Thanks for pointing out Australia’s SBS site, they have some interesting things there, such as videos on demand for free.

That is only 160 grams worth. It is really not when looking at Sad

which was the point of the movie. From that list you could have a commercial salad, muffin, a yogurt and two servings of juice and be over it easily and still be hungry

(Bunny) #11

Us Americans are no Angels, we are worse, I am thinking lack of choline (e.g. eggs) or methionine in the diet would accelerate the fatty liver disease (NAFLD) on top of eating lots of processed sugar in so callled “healthy foods” would be the main contributer?

Just eating stuff with processed sugar in it and no other nutrients from various other sources (e.g. unprocessed whole foods) would result like it did in the documentary?

What is sad about SAD is people don’t want to believe it is their beloved bleached white sugar that’s killing them?

Not enough warnings about emphasizing how truly dangerous it really is?

Nothing pure about it?

C&H Pure Cane Sugar Commercial Jingle 1970’s to 1980’s

(bulkbiker) #12

Pure poison perhaps?

(Bunny) #13

PURE? When it’s bleached and stripped of its minerals and trace elements, NO! The children in the commercial chewing on the raw sugar cane stalk, that’s very very nutritious but by the time you buy it in the grocery store, it has been stepped on so many times that your eating nothing but pure poison? (chalk full of GMO glyphosates, herbicides, fungicides and pesticides)

(Troy) #14

Wow…singing those jingles now while drinking my caffeine filled iced americano

Guilty😳
I remember chewing on those
Readily available everywhere!
Hi grocery store friend Alpha Beta😁…RIP😓

Sugar Documentary🤔

I know!!
Turn one of those jingles in to CHILDREN OF THE SUGAR STALK?

To mimic the real-TRUE…Children of the Corn “ movie “.

(Running from stupidity) #15

Yup, it’s pretty bad. From what I can tell it’s not as bad as the US, but still, bad.

(Troy) #16

I Just watched this
“ Sugar Blues “
Good one too
On Amazon Prime

(Vladaar Malane) #17

I found this University study video that was informative. Even suggesting that alcohol going into the liver is turned into visceral fat. As they were talking about sugary alcohol drinks. Oh and I forgot they talk about how substitute sugar(s) like stevia, etc. are being looked at for causing Metabolic issues.

(Daisy) #18

Not a documentary, but the book “lick the sugar habit” by Nancy Appleton changed my life, long before I ever heard about keto
https://www.abebooks.com/Lick-Sugar-Habit-Nancy-Appleton-Avery/22508706059/bd?cm_mmc=gmc--new--PLA-_-v01&gclid=Cj0KCQjw08XeBRC0ARIsAP_gaQDhsiXvxQ46IRg4o56ZFUQO6XU8Y8adt7a8mpr3VqxKOg5-PQDfWMsaApaGEALw_wcB

(Vladaar Malane) #19

@Ketodaisy

I was checking to see your lick the sugar habit book was on a audiobook, but found The Case against Sugar there instead, which it appears that his same presentation nearly he makes on youtube on as well.

Incidentally I only had 1 gram of sugar last night. That was from cream cheese I added to my eggs. I think on Keto, if I’m careful I can keep sugar intake to less than 10 grams a day. Seems there is 4 grams per teaspoon and recommendation is men should have no more than 9 teaspoons per day of sugar. I intend to be much less than that.

LoL, he mentions in his video that the sugar industry advertised at one point with the calorie in/calorie out model that 3 tablespoons of sugar have less calories then your egg. What? That’s crazy how the calorie in/calorie out model hasn’t been challenged successfully a long time ago.

(Vladaar Malane) #20

This is the website for those guys from sugar science in the documentary video above Learn the Facts about Sugar. I find their link to research papers interesting.

(Vladaar Malane) #21

LoL,

Big step for these W.H.O. guys. This is not new information, been out awhile and I’m sure peeps have mentioned this before but thought it was something nice to see in this thread as well. World Health Organization guidelines on sugar. As I heard someone say, it seems they have taken the bulls eye off fat and put it on sugar.

WHO recommends a reduced intake of free sugars throughout the lifecourse
(strong recommendation1
).
• In both adults and children, WHO recommends reducing the intake of free
sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake2
(strong recommendation).
• WHO suggests a further reduction of the intake of free sugars to below 5% of
total energy intake (conditional recommendation3
)

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/149782/9789241549028_eng.pdf;jsessionid=DC2D25D9F7C48EC7FC11BB031D57072D?sequence=1