Sudden dip in Ketosis urine tests

(Salil Surendran) #1

Hello,
I was testing my urine for Ketosis and there was a gradual increase in the Ketones that my body produced, since the color was becoming darker and darker. Then one day it became very dark and then dropped to a very light level. There was nothing that I done that was out of the ordinary, I was still eating a low carb diet. Any ideas? I heard that the body gets adapted to Ketones and then the urine testing becomes very inaccurate

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

Throw the strips away.

You heard right.

Urine testing starts out pretty inaccurate. It can vary greatly depending on hydration levels and all sorts of other factors. Personally, I use a cheap breathalyzer.

(Tami Proctor) #4

I did a lot of research and blood testing is the most accurate but not necessary. I purchased a kit from KETO Mojo. I only test occasionally.

(Todd Batitis) #5

I bought the keto-mojo kit too (the larger kit with extra strips and such) and love it. I tested twice a day for the first month or so I had it to get to understand what was happening with my numbers. Now I will test once a day before I break my fast for a week or so after I make a change to be able to see the effects.

As for the OP’s original concern, the issue is that what you pee out is excess acetoacetate (if memory serves me on which ketone is urine). Once your body as your body gets better at using it, it uses more and you have less excess to excrete. This is the reason why the urine sticks are only good for about the first month.

Like I said, I highly recommend getting a keto-mojo meter. Buy it directly from them and you can get ketone strips for $1 each in packs of 50. It also reads glucose with separate test strips and those are around $15 in packs of 50.

(Allie) #6