Study: Artificial sweeteners have no effect on blood sugar

(Bunny) #21

Jedi Straw-man Argument: you take corn (bacterium enzymes) or you take something and synthesize it with chemicals, in your case from a chlorinated sugar derivative originally made and intended to be a pesticide to kill insects and then you eat it (a very dangerous thing), nothing anecdotal about that?

Good luck with those glucose tolerance, gut flora biome and metabolic issues so you can later demonize and implicate the ketogenic diet as to your future complicated tale of WOE, no demonizing in that?

When you start feeling a little faint? A little sick? A little dizzy? A rapid heart beat? Please comeback and tell us your story :violin: :sob:!

Keto on my friend :+1:

(Karl) #22

See, this is the most often used argument: If it’s true for one incident, it must be true for far many others. Again - guilt by association. If one study says “substance x is bad”, then surely, “substance y must be bad too using the same reasoning”.

Then, when one states that they disagree with it, they say “Fine, buddy - enjoy your cancer.”

My opinion is that It’s a cheap tactic, yet I see people do this all the time. It doesn’t matter how many neatly-organized “studies” from places like “The Absolute Center of Excellence for Gut Health Research” you link to support your argument - it’s still a really weak argument to a critical thinker.

(Bunny) #23

Just the basic facts tell us where it hurts?

Sugar is like cocaine, people will play mental gymnastics to get to it and justify their addiction even with the processed stuff?

(Karl) #24

First of all, the “Sugar is like cocaine” argument comes from a rat study - keep that in context. I’m not saying it makes it invalid, but you are drawing a line connecting two ideas. The first is “Sugar is like cocaine”, and implying the second of “Artificial Sweeteners are like Sugar”, and therefore “Artificial Sweeteners are like Cocaine”.

This is exactly why associative studies aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. People draw these invisible lines (and ultimately final conclusions), then it becomes dogma, and finally the masses believe it.

It’s ridiculous, and I will call it out when I see it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Your thinking seems basically sound to me, but I’m no expert, as you can probably tell.

It is possible, though, that insulin might spike higher if you have a sugar substitute at a meal. However, I don’t think anyone really knows if it would or not. At this point, the only thing we can do is try it ourselves and see what happens.

And even if it turned out that a sweetener did spike insulin higher, would that necessarily mean you didn’t want to use it? For me, it would depend a lot on circumstances. I’ve watched several lectures in which experts such as Rob Lustig and Stephen Phinney get asked about non-nutritive sweeteners, and they all say that, however bad they might (or might not) be, if they help you get free from sugar, that might outweigh other considerations. I guess it’s up to each of us to decide for ourself.

(Omar) #26

Thanks

Actually I do not use sugar alternates. I enjoy the flavor of things. Sugar and salt hide the flavor. Specially coffee and tea even before I become t2d I do not use sugar in them.

However ice cream has no meaning without the sweet taste. Same with cokacola.

As mentioned above the science is not there yet to verdicts one way or another. But the little research done is not in favour of sugar alternatives.

For instance aspartame can cause depression and short memory loss. Sucralose kills the good bacteria. Saccharin can cause cancer and liver issues.

only xylitol and Stevie maybe the safest or at least not researched enough

(Steve) #27

I was a Diet Coke addict prior to going Keto. I have found Iced Coffee with no sweetener and extra heavy cream to be a nice substitute.

(KetoQ) #28

Part of the gift of going keto is helping one get off the sugar, and developing a taste for healthier whole foods, and developing a healthier lifestyle.

Some people still want to indulge in the things that go them in trouble, like sweeteners. I understand it can be tough to make the transition. Even though keto weight loss can sometimes seem effortless, there is some hard work, willpower and flexibility we have to exercise to make sure we achieve our goals. Plus, I can’t help thinking these sweeteners are more frankenfoods and chemicals that helped us all get into bad health in the first place.

If you need something sweet, throw some berries in a salad. Or berries with heavy cream. Get off the big food bus and hop on the keto train.

That said, if sweeteners work for you, who am I to argue. I don’t care if you are keto or Ornish. You have to go with what works for you.

But my point is, you deserve better than this artificial crap.

(Karl) #29

You do you. I’ll keep my coffee deliciously sweet.

Keto means nutritional ketosis to me. I’ll be the judge of what my taste buds deserve. =)

(KetoQ) #30

Did you miss this?

(Karl) #31

No, I saw that - and I apologize if I seem a little snippy about the whole artificial sweetener thing. It’s just that it seems every day that goes by, the term “Keto” seems to take on some new, freshly inserted meaning. “Keto” to me started as nutritional ketosis as a way to combat obesity and its associated morbidities.

Now, the term “Keto” has been expanded to be an enormous array of practices - one being a soapbox for the virtues of “real food”, despite the fact that companies using terms like “Organic” have no oversight in our food supply and remains mostly a marketing term to command premium prices from consumers. To me, the “real food” aspect might be perfectly valid, but holy crap does it ever have that wafting smell of veganism about it (to me, anyway).

If you look around, you won’t have to go far to find someone complain about how ingesting an artificial sweetener is “not keto”. It’s muddied the definition to what I originally thought referred to a very basic physiological process humans use to fuel ourselves in the absence of carbohydrates.

When I read your post, it comes off as being preachy. Sorry, but that’s how it reads to me. Despite your disclaimer of being no-one to argue, it appears that you are very much arguing that “to be on the keto train, you should be doing it THIS way.” As a guy who’s shed 140+ lb the way I have (right or wrong by “keto” standards), maybe you can see why I might be sensitive to criticism that comes off as “You’re doing it wrong”.

I mean no disrespect, I am simply trying to be honest as to how I’m reading your post. I bear no ill will. I’m just calling it like I see it. I hope you understand.

And with that, I’ll go calm the heck down, because geez I took that way too harshly lol

(Dan Dan) #32

LOL :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

I’m pretty sure its the sugar added to most all foods and the lie we are taught about eating high carb low fat and six meals a day that causes the problem.

Add to that my Fat Ass bought into the lie because I was too lazy to take responsibility for my own health.

Using sweeteners with your meals and/or in low amounts should not be a problem even for those few who elicit a response to them.

(KetoQ) #33

Ice/Karl, no need to apologize. I can understand your initial response to me, as you’ve explained it. Agreed, there is certainly more than one way to do keto.

My answer was really not intended for people like you who have already lost significant weight (congrats), and already have a system that works for them. I agree that going by the book doesn’t fit everyone. You should experiment. You should be contrarian, especially when it works in your favor. That’s why I included my caveat.

On reflection, my post was more for people who are new to keto, because I see posts nearly everyday, “can I do cereal?”, “can I do …” Sure, you can eat whatever you want if you can fit it into your macros. However, some people in our forum need to be encouraged to make changes, and stay away from the “trigger foods” that got them into trouble in the first place. They are a few weeks into this WoE and seem to be trying to fit bits and pieces of SAD into keto. That’s what drives me nuts and fueled my post.

Finally, no offense taken. I respect your straight forwardness and look forward to discussing topics with you in the future.

Here are some questions I ask myself

• Do artificial sweeteners lower insulin?
  • Do artificial sweeteners reduce cravings for more sweetness?
  • Do artificial sweeteners accelerate weight loss?
  • Do artificial sweeteners produce any positive health outcomes?
  • Do artificial sweeteners produce any benefit besides a temporary gratification of an urge exacerbated by the consumption of an artificial sweetener?

For me, the answers of the above are NO. Not sure why I need to look further at artificial sweeteners. Life is easier without them, and so is weight loss.

(Dan Dan) #35

For me, going the easy way I got fat and messed up my health. Then I tried restriction and denying myself of life’s pleasures pretending it was easier and because it was not sustainable and really hard I crashed and became morbidly obese and fucked up my health.

For me, Keto is all about self discovery and understanding what works for some may not work for others and you will find what works for you if you keep calm and keto on.

For me Keto is not about discouraging others use of things but cautioning to keep it healthy and sharing alternatives and to give support.

For me, Since going keto I have a heightened sense of taste so when I use sweeteners I use very little like when making my favorite sugar free drink mix I have to use 4 quarts of water instead of 2 or its too sweet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

KCKO (Keep Calm Keto On)

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Rob) #36

"Major Strassor has been shot. Round up the usual suspects. "

(Jonathan Brady) #37

Found this a little while ago

(Karl) #38

I can’t take any vegan-agenda nutritionists seriously.

(Dan Dan) #39

Just for kicks here is Unnatural Vegans response :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Re: Effect of Sucralose (Splenda) on the Microbiome (cherry-picking clickbait)

(Omar) #40

a “no” answer to the above questions is not bad.