Study: Are Pastured-Raised Eggs More Nutritious?

science
food

(Running from stupidity) #21

Not surprisingly, they have better laying capacity.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

The fact that they are fresher than store-bought is part of it too, Iā€™m sure. My uncle used to have an egg farm, and it was amazing how long the eggs sat around before they were picked up. I have no idea how long it took them to show up on supermarket shelves. But I do know that those eggs, though far from free-range, were still far tastier when new-laid than anything to be had in a store.

When they came to visit us in the city, my cousins could barely stand the taste of store-bought eggs (they were that way about homogenized and pasteurized milk, too). But it sometimes works the other way, too. I used to have a friend, a city slicker, who couldnā€™t stand the taste of a fresh eggā€”it was just too different from what he was used to.

(Ben ) #23

Northwest Montana. Iā€™m guessing that everyone on Keto is taking vitamins and minerals to help support this diet.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #24

I live in California, shop at Grocery Outlet, and regularly get Jumbos for about $1.40 dz.

Iā€™m staying in Florida right now and ALDI has eggs for either $0.79 or $0.89 every time I shop.

California has some special cruelty free law that other states donā€™t and the prices went up about 3 years ago but have crept back down since then.

(Bob M) #25

We hear these all the time, but Iā€™ve never seen either one. I did see an owl swoop across the road the other night, but that was it. A few seconds at most. Also, the fisher cat, Iā€™ve never seen one live, but caught it on camera.

Caught multiple bobcats on cameraā€¦then had one walk through the yard in the afternoon. It hung around for a few days before going somewhere else.

I think a trail camera would be useful for a pen for chickens, as you could see what was getting in and how (assuming you happened to position the camera correctly).

The only vitamins I take are organ meats and cod liver oil (and I donā€™t mean the pills). I still have some magnesium supplements around, but havenā€™t had to take one in months.

(John) #27

Just remember that Pastured raised eggs are going to have the best chance of being more nutritious but it doesnt mean they will be. free range can be kind misleading because they just have to have access to a small area outside. I hate labels!!! Best chance is to have a local egg farm you can trust. My buddy gives me eggs sometimes and they are always better tasting. his are only in a coupe at night. free range in the yard all day.

I buy biodynamic eggs because I can talk to the farmer who brings them to the market and look at photos of them in their huge fields and know they are genuinely living from what is in their paddocks, which are rotated.

I find it very offputting the idea that any bird may have led an awful life just so I can eat itā€™s eggs. I avoid anything laid by a bird that doesnā€™t have a good life and am happy to pay $1 per eggā€¦ and consider it a good investment in not only my health but the health of the hens and my sense of well being.

The farmer I have settled on dealing with obviously loves his cattle and hens and welcomes visitors to go look at the property. He bought a pair of those gorgeous Italian dogs to protect his hens from foxes, which they do very successfully.

I figure I am worth the extra and so are the hens and the farmer. I grew up visiting my cousinā€™s dairy farm and highly value the work that goes into keeping healthy animals.

I used to have someone who gave me eggs as well and they really were better. She did have a hen house and some of the chickens did go in at night, but some them just chose to sleep in a tree across from the hen house. It was pretty neat to see them fly up to the branches as soon as the sun was getting ready to set.

Her hens were truly pastured. They had run of the farm during the day, along with the ducks and turkeys. She had pastured red poll cows and pastured pigs too. The meat was excellent. Her duck eggs were amazing as well.

One treat some of the hens liked was hoof shavings from when I trimmed her horsesā€™ hooves. I swear they recognized my car and would follow me and wait impatiently (staring me down) while I got everything together to start trimming. She said she never really needed to sweep up as the chickens would take care of it.

One thing I noticed is that if chickens were not moving enough (like during an ice storm when they were locked in), their yolks were not as orange.