Struggling and discouraged

I’m mostly a lurker and reader, but I’m going to post my frustration and see if anyone has suggestions. I have been keto (strict keto, whole single-ingredient natural whole foods only) since February. I lost about 6 pounds over the first three months and absolutely nothing since. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I eat meats, healthy fats, limited low carb vegetables, very simple and clean eating and no dairy, occasional small servings nuts. I increased fat and calories because I was under-eating at less than 1,000 calories per day (using the eat only when hungry method) and still nothing. Clothes don’t fit any better. I have a problem with my intestines and food absorption from chronic SIBO and IBS. The gut condition is what really brought me to keto to begin with, and it does help a lot, but I also desperately need to lose about 50 pounds. Currently eating around 1,200 calories, intermittent fasting to bring up appetite, net carbs are generally around 15 or less, depending if I eat an avocado, protein average 55 grams per day. I tried six weeks of increasing calories and fats higher, but only caused exacerbation of gut issues (also had gallbladder removed two yearws ago) without any weight loss. I get so discouraged reading about how much people have lost and my body just refuses to cooperate. To note, I also am hypothyroid, and my weight problems started when my thyroid went kaput. I also am on estrogen-only HRT. I lost weight in the past doing LCHF but not full on keto, took two years to lose 60 pounds. Stupidly followed doctor-ordered eating plan for digestive issues and wound up gaining most of the weight back before throwing in the towel on that and finding keto. Done whining. Anyone else been in my situation? What did you eventually figure out?

(Edith) #2

Hi Kbmom,

I have been eating keto style for four months. The first two months were great and then it seemed like all of a sudden things weren’t going so well. I was waking up hungry at 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning, I was feeling terrible during the day, and I had the runs (or as we call it at our house, #3.) Oh yes, I was also hungry all the time during the day. I make sure I get enough electrolytes and I test my blood ketones so I was in ketosis.

I listen to Keto Talk and the advice always seems to be “add more fat.” I did that but #3 got worse, and I actually started to gain a few pounds.

So, I upped my protein and lowered my fat intake. I am 5’ 3" and I do exercise but I upped my protein to 80-90 grams/day. My fat intake I keep to around 110 plus or minus 10g. Carbs are usually around 30g total.

I feel so much better! I am now sleeping through the night, lasting longer between meals, and my bowel movements have improved; no more #3. I also started dropping some weight again. I had stalled out for over a month. I am still testing my ketones and those macros still have me in ketosis.

I don’t think “add more fat” works for everyone. It certainly did not for me. You need to be willing to experiment on yourself.

Good luck,
Edith

(Nancy Nancersin) #3

have you had your thyroid checked recently? since you have thyroid disease that would be the first place I would look. something is out of balance. good luck!

(Jason Fletcher) #4

What is your height and current weight?

Where you tracking this?
This is a TMI question but when you go #2 are you seeing it stick to the toilet. It is a possible indication that you are not digesting fat well?

I love your #3 for the side effects of not digesting fat well, lol. I’ve decided to try upping protein a bit (another group I belong to subscribes to the thought of glucogenesis if eating more protein than you really need, so recommends low end of protein recommendations). I don’t have the hunger issue at all. I’m really hardly ever hungry. I have been doing fat bombs of added butter to everything, dipping everything in homemade mayo, eating half an avocado mixed with mayo, MCT oil, etc. to get my calories and fat up, and yes, I gained no weight, but didn’t lose any either, and was constantly running to the bathroom with #3.

I get it rechecked next month. My doc checks it every six months. My last one five months ago TSH was creeping up gain, but still within the “normal range”. My dose was actually lowered twice since I’ve been keto, down presently at 12 mcg.

I weigh my food and track in FatSecret. I never have much appetite since the end of my first week keto back in February. It has been a struggle to increase those calories, and I’ve done it primarily through added fats. No, I know I do not digest them well, unfortunately. For a while I wasn’t digesting much of any sorts of foods well and was on prescription pancreatic enzymes. Off those now, and I have started taking ox bile, and it has ended the running for the bathroom shortly after eating. I’m approx. 5’4: and currently in a holding pattern for months, mostly at 160, bouncing between 158 and 162. I’m aiming for getting back down to 120 - 125 range, which is where my body felt most comfortable before I gained weight with hypothyroid my thyroid deciding to not work properly, followed by a litany of other health issues over the years since. Most recently have been diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), IBS, possible Crohn’s, and had my gallbladder removed.

(VLC.MD) #8

Not enough fat, too many carbs ?
Are you in ketosis ?

Does that work ?
Why are you increasing your appetite ?

112 ? 125 ?
12 isnt a proper dose.

A good thyroid isn’t the key to weight loss. Don’t forget that.
A chubby person I know had a TSH of 120, free T4 super low (likely for 10 years) … took thyroid replacement and lost 9 lbs.

A ketogenic diet is much better for weight loss than normalizing thyroid lab work.

It is also likely untrue and unhelpful to think “I’m never going to lose enough weight b/c I have a crappy thyroid”. Love your thyroid and Keto yourself as thin as you want. Positive mental energy helps weight loss in many many ways. Keep on Keto-ing on !

(Karen Parrott) #9

There’s wisdom, right here. Your body is telling you a message. I am more LCHF and use Fasting (17:7 or 12:12 ) to stay keto.

I was previously 40 years obese, yo-yo dieting. Now 5.5 years maintaining a 70 pound loss near the middle of my BMI (I’m short, extra weight is painful, unpleasant, and adds to my T2D risk, I deserve better so I stick to mid range of my normal weight)

Anyhoo, I do find that bringing my protein grams closer to my fat grams in loss helps. I also find that as I go weight maintenance mode, I eat more in fat grams slightly. I also find that eating my 7 hours early in the day 6am to 1pm gives me good lean body results and good glucose/ketone readings. Also in weight maintenance, I must cycle back some days or weeks to weight loss mode, since my fat wants to come back, but I won’t let it.

Onward. Take the messages your body is sending you. Make no apologies and your past is there to serve you as a guide to the future. Keep going. The answers are inside you.

Yes, that was a typo. I take 112 mcg Synthroid for my thyroid. I am most definitely in ketosis, and total carbs average about 12 per day. I needed to increase appetite because I really have no appetite, so have started fasting to increase what I eat on the days I do eat. Consistently under-eating is bad, as the metabolism slows to compensation (why CICO diets generally fail), and I already have slow metabolism due to being hypothyroid and diagnosed digestion problems. It’s my understanding that fasting and feasting is far better than eating very low calories day in and day out. I follow Dr. Jason Fung’s vlog on keto and fasting, but have not tried any long multiple-day fasts at this point. I increased my fat dramatically in a 30-day challenge to about triple my protein grams. I did not gain or lose during that time, but it did aggravate my digestive problems, so I am cutting back some on the fats again. I never said thyroid prevents weight loss. I have been hypo for about 20 years, and slowly but steadily gained weight even on medication. That said, I’m not using thyroid labs to guide keto in any way, nor thinking controlling thyroid is the key to losing weight, just mentioning that it has been in a good range

(Todd Allen) #11

Getting diet right is vital but don’t over look other factors such as sleep, stress and exercise. If you aren’t getting enough quality sleep you will be run down and your metabolism will slow. If you have chronic stress the stress hormones will wreck your sleep. They also raise your blood sugar - will stimulate gluconeogenesis if you aren’t eating it and make it that much harder to get the benefits of eating low carb. And while exercise is a lousy way to burn calories for weight loss, it can help reduce stress, improve sleep and boost metabolism - so long as you don’t over do it. If you haven’t been exercising, start off with something moderate like going for walks and gradually increase your efforts as your capacity improves.

(karen) #12

Hi, I think the problem is the HRT. For starters, it causes cancer, Secondly, estrogen makes you put on weight. It is the hormone that needs to be balanced with progesterone. Why did the dr put you on it? Look up Progesterone Therapy. Most women need progesterone, not estrogen.

(VLC.MD) #13

Because you had a Hysterectomy I assume.

Follow Dr. Fung. Ride that low appetite into fasting.
Fasting is the best way to lose weight as I see it.
I’ll bet fasting is great for your IBS !!! :smiley:

Don’t change your HRT right now. Focus on the weight.

Being overweight is just as big a risk factor as is HRT.

Last I read from the WHI study was that estrogen only HRT didn’t cause near the problems that combination therapy did.

When you are feeling zen at your goal weight … talk to your doctors about petering off HRT :slight_smile:

(VLC.MD) #14

I think hormone research is as annoying as food research.
Perpetual studies … no consensus … rinse and repeat.

But … your short post contains a few things I have never heard before.

“Estrogen causes weight gain”

I’ll say not likely.

“Progesterone therapy”

I dont see it listed here …
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/hormone-therapy

Progesterone is likely a much bigger cause of weight gain.
It causes weight gain via increasing insulin resistance.
Which is a ketogenic no-no, IMO.

People should make up their own minds:

Google: progesterone insulin resistance.

Lets keep the focus here. Anyone wanting to discuss hormones should “Make another thread”. Keep the focus on the OP’s ketogenic potential :slight_smile:

(Edith) #15

I just happened to listen to episode 48 of Keto Talk and one of the questions involved HRT for estrogen. The woman who had asked the question noticed that when she took estrogen it caused problems with her ketones and blood sugar.

I didn’t listen that closely since it does not pertain to me, but you might want to check out that episode.

Edith

(Edith) #16

Oops, that was episode 51. :blush: