StrongLifts 5x5

(Michael Boggs) #121

Since I started this topic, I should probably update my status.

In about an hour, I will finish week 13 of SL5x5. I’ve not missed a single workout (I do M,W,F). I really only ever bumped up bench when it comes to weights, everything else I just followed the program exactly (starting with the bar). I also do chin ups every workout, and dips on bench days.

Here are my current stats:
Squat: 235lb 5x5
Bench: 200 5x5
Row; 160 5x5
OHP: 130 5x5
Deadlift: 250 1x5

My weight is 235, my height is 6’1"

I’m getting a dexascan done this afternoon, and I have one to compare from 6 months ago (also when I started Keto). I’ll post those results, hopefully today.

Edit to add: So far, I’ve only failed one rep ever (on OHP, of course). But I feel like I’m getting close on my squat. Its a grind, for sure.

(Omar Newsome) #122

Can’t beat that! I actually had the FG full cage and it just took up too much space. I sold that and went with the half rack just to get some floor space and it was a couple of inches shorter than the full cage.

Enjoy, I know you’ll love it, having your own squat rack makes life so much easier!

(eat more) #123

parallel is better than all of the super heavy heavy heavy knee-bends that i regularly see :joy:

(Omar Newsome) #124

Speak on it sister!!!

If any of you are on instagram, quatersquatgang posts tons of those guys!

(eat more) #125

that was one of my first IG follows…they’re brutal but that’s what the ppl that get called out get for braggin’ on non accomplishments :joy:

(Omar Newsome) #126

Don’t you love how most have some crap like, “I know depth wasn’t very good but…”

(Jake P) #127

When I did crossfit a few years ago they were big on going deep, then there is also this from the SL 5x5 site.

Proper Squat Depth

Squat down until your hips are below your knees. This moves your body through a full range of motion. It strengthens your leg muscles evenly. Thighs parallel to the floor isn’t low enough. You must break parallel so the top of your knees is higher than your hip crease. If you can’t Squat parallel, put your heels shoulder-width apart and toes 30° out. Now Squat while push your knees to the sides. You’ll Squat deeper.

Many people do partial Squats. They only Squat a quarter or half the way down. This makes the weight easier to Squat because it moves over less distance. You can Squat more weight. But partial Squats only work your quadriceps. They don’t strengthen your hamstrings and glutes which are important for knee health. Many people think Partial Squats are safer. But they create muscle imbalances which often cause knee injuries.

Other people like to Squat deep. “Ass-To-Grass” Squats (ATG) involves Squatting down until your butt touches your ankles. This works your muscles through a greater range of motion. But it also decreases how heavy you can Squat since the bar moves further. Plus, most people lack the flexibility to Squat deep without their back rounding. I recommend you break parallel then stop. No need to Squat deeper to gain strength and muscle.

Read more http://stronglifts.com/squat/#Proper_Squat_Depth

(eat more) #128

BUT…everyone’s body mechanics aren’t the same…
i had a spotter one time practically pulling me over backwards by my boobs to “straighten” me…i have really long femurs and tight hips so it appears that i’m bending at the waist…i’m not…i never asked him for a spot again :joy: (who spots at the boobs anyway…just spot the bar weirdo lol)
i’ve read way way too many articles on squatting…a lot with different viewpoints…
for me it’s better to focus on proper, safe, comfortable form versus ATG…your depth or how much weight you pushed won’t matter if you blow a knee, hip, or injure your back :joy:

for most “casual” lifters parallel or slightly below is fine…

you’d never catch a powerlifter stopping at parallel…

knee-bends are never ok lol

(Jake P) #129

True enough, and good points.

I have been going ATG, that’s what I remember from my Crossfit experience, and also from skimming the SL 5x5 stuff, but in re-reading that he recommends breaking parallel, So maybe I have been the one looking funny at the gym.

(eat more) #130

prob not
everyone has their own jam…if ATG is comfortable and you’re progressing…
as long as you can keep your weight on your heels, your knees aren’t going over your toes, yiur knees aren’t collapsing inward, your hips/back aren’t bothering you, and you like it…soldier on :blush:

crossfit is probably the most injury prone of all fitness practices…it’s not trash talking if it’s true :blush:

(Omar Newsome) #131

I agree with the vast majority of this. I have a couple of differing opinions:

1. As an exercise parallel or just below is all that’s really needed for strength/hypertrophy goals. As a movement, everyone should have the joint mobility and muscular flexibility to perform a deep full squat.

2. I think most powerlifters cut depth to deep enough to stay legal in comp, but not too deep where they lose tightness and get buried in the hole.

3. That jackass spotting you was taking advantage for sure! No man spots a lady like that unless she’s going for a 1rm in gear! And apparently he’s never seen this diagram or watched Dr Layne Norton squat!

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/short-torso-vs-long-torso.jpg

1. you are absolutely right about knee bends! Never acceptable and can only be worse if you’re wearing wraps!

(eat more) #132

3 - oddly i was more worried about falling backwards onto him but yeah that was a dumb-dumb move…after i said “what were you doing?! i was gonna fall on you” i showed him the diagram :joy:

4 - they do wear knee wraps!! LMAO

(G. Andrew Duthie) #133

Rack arrived yesterday. Got it assembled today:

Quite sturdy, and I think I’ll be very happy with it. Only surprise is that it’s not as deep as I expected front to back. I suppose it only needs to be deep enough to be stable, since the bar should be going straight up and down.

Went together easily and quickly.

The bad news is I have a nasty cold, so I’m not going to get to use it right away. Shooting for Monday at this point.

Thinking I’d like to get at least one more set of pins, so I don’t have to move them around for every single exercise. Anyone know where I could find some for 2x2 box?

(Omar Newsome) #134

Looks great @devhammer sorry you were delayed in getting the maiden voyage happening, but you’re gonna have many great sessions with it so no rush.

Just about any fitness (online) retailer will sell J-hooks for 2x2 rack because it’s pretty common. You could probably even find some on Ebay and/or Amazon.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #135

Yep. Found a few after finally figuring out the right term to search for. Pricier than I’d like (cheapest I found is around $40/pair), but oh well.

(Omar Newsome) #136

Yeah most people are pretty proud of them! My rack is 3x3 and thank goodness the manufacturer sells them via Dick’s sporting sometimes or $30-$40 or I would have had to drop $70! I’ve decided I don’t need anymore until the stock at DSG comes back! :smile:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #137

First workout with the new rack…finally on the upswing with my cold.

Initial verdict: very glad that I purchased this rack. J-hooks and safety bars are easy to move around (though I’m still probably going to pick up another pair or two of hooks), and the holes that I’m most likely to use for squats and OHP are already marked with a slightly different punchout (I’ll get a pic later).

Also today was my first failed rep. I kind of expected that I might end up with a failed squat rep, given the psychological difference in knowing I had the safety bars to catch me if I failed, but made it through the squats OK. Where I failed was the last rep of the last set of OHP. Just couldn’t quite pull it off. I did unweight by 5 lbs and finished the last rep.

Looking forward to trying my BPs with the rack on Friday.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #138

One other note…I tend to have a bit of pain in my left knee when squatting (front, toward the bottom of the patella), and I paid more attention to where my knees were going while squatting, and realized that I probably wasn’t pointing the knees outward far enough, and when I corrected that, the knee pain was much reduced.

Just figured I’d mention in case any other noobs like myself had similar issues. :smiley:

I finally took the plunge and bought a gym membership since I’m getting close to my home gym max. I have never worked out in a gym before so I am baffled by the number of machines there and only one power cage! Anyhoo, I workout at 430a so have no problem using the cage. I’m in the middle of my 3rd round of stronglifts 5x5 (had to take a 6m break between rounds 2 and 3 due to illness) and I set a squat PR of 200# the other day! My deadlift is lagging behind at 195# and let’s not talk about the upper body stuff. I’m so stoked at the progress I’m making and love the simplicity of this regimen…getting close to advanced powerlifting standards and so happy :grin:.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #140

Lagging, my butt. You’ve got me beat on both, so kudos to you!

I’m just happy that I finally got to the point where I’m deadlifting more than my bodyweight. Should hopefully be there with the squats, too in a few weeks (first week in April, if I can avoid missing any more workouts in the interim).

And that 4:30am workout time? Hardcore. I grimace at my 6am wakeup time…hurts to think about 4:30. :slight_smile: