Strength training & HIIT - Can't stop eating!

(Marianne) #22

Me, too.

(Marianne) #23

Wow, 12 minutes!?

What is kb?

(April Harkness) #25

instead of describing, I shall show you-

I will actually be posting week 2 (it’s a training program I am designing for my boyfriend - yes we are back together after a long heart to heart talk!) on a different thread called workout with April under Weightlifting.

(Bunny) #26

You are awesome!

(Marianne) #27

How much does that kettlebell weigh? Looks pretty heavy.

(Katie) #28

My suggestion is to hit your protein target (~1 gram of protein per pound of of lean body mass or overall mass), and try upping your fat. This might help with satiety. I recently did this and fasting is easier and I am sooner satiated. I do OMAD and eat the fattier portion of my meal first in order to feel satiated sooner, and it seems to really help.

If/When you do gain weight from strength training, be sure to note changes in physique, not just the scale. Your body may be getting healthier, trimmer, and more muscular, but your overall body mass will increase. That would be a good, healthy gain and totally okay! Consider documenting with progress photos.

(Kristen Ann) #29

I dropped HIIT and am ding some moderate cardio occasionally with strength training. My hunger, satiety signals, and eating window are all back to normal! No changes on the scale but my pants are a little looser.

(Windmill Tilter) #30

It’s definitely not just you. High intensity training sends my appetite through the roof. I do a High Intensity Resistance Training (HIRT) workout once per week where you do just 5 exercises (bench press, leg press, cable row, lat pull down,overhead press) with the heaviest weight possible for just a single set of 90 seconds or until you hit total muscle failure. Total working time under load is barely 8 minutes for the whole workout (it’s called Body by Science)

After those workouts, I generally eat over 4000kcals, and frequently go over 5000kcals! It’s so taxing that recovery takes me about a week, but that’s just fine, because I’d get fat pretty quick if I did it more often. :yum:

(Windmill Tilter) #31

One thing I wonder about is whether hunger after exercise could be a proxy for efficacy. If I futz about on an elliptical for an hour a day, never get particularly hungry, and build no lean muscle, is this necessarily better than lifting something incredibly heavy at 100% intensity for a short time, getting ravenously hungry, and growing 3oz of new muscle?

I’m not asserting that this is what normally happens for people, but it’s possible. Even when I have those crazy 4000-5000kcal after lifting weights once a week, I still lose weight each week, but the amount I can lift each week goes up and over the course of months my muscles are growing visibly bigger and my waistline is growing measurably smaller.

It’s possible that eating to satiety after exercise might be self regulating for people with healthy metabolisms, and hunger is commensurate with demand to repair/build new muscle. I don’t know that this is true for anybody, much less everybody, but I wonder to what extent it could be true in people whose satiety signals are working properly.

Put differently, if we don’t get hungry after exercise, maybe we haven’t accomplished much?

(JJ) #32

Great reading the replies.

I experience insane hunger around my longer exercise efforts. I cycle about 80km a week (mix of some long, some short rides) and run 5-15km a week. I do weights 2 or 3 times a week for about 20min. A day or so after a long bike ride or run, I could represent Australia in the eating Olympics. Fasting is almost impossible if I have a big week of glyco burning kinda action.

Although my natural instinct is to try to suppress/ignore the hunger as I worry about regaining the weight I have lost, I find just eating up a storm seems the best approach for now.