Stomach pain on keto?

(Stanislav Jirák) #1

Hello,

I’ve started to have a stomach pain roughly 2 weeks ago, each time shortly after an high-fat meal or some time after having a vegtable or some proteins. I’ve tried to eat a baking soda and it passed away. Consequently, I’ve learned that gastritics is quite common on keto. Someone similar experiences? Or is just getting my stomach shrinking since I do not eat that much?

(Marla) #2

It’s more likely an issue of your body adapting the chemistry to digest fat properly. It’s not uncommon for people to develop some “gut” pain that may actually be gallbladder or even your pancreas adjusting enzymatically when they first start keto. The pain usually does resolve in two to three weeks.

The issue most likely is not excess acid and baking soda actually can harm the acid balance in your stomach so you might consider just riding this out for another week with good nutrition and plenty of water and see what happens. If anything, you probably have less stomach acid than you need to digest protein and fats. You might consider taking HCL tablets or pepsin if you truly believe the issue is in your stomach and see if that helps.