Stokies and CICO die/blow hards

(Carolyn aka stokies) #1

Yeah yeah… imma b!tch. Just exhausted literally being mansplained (sorry guys) how I lost MY weight. Not to mention I am studying this in part for my doctoral research…

I literally lived through MY process. This is not merely calorie reduction. I know you all know. It just pisses me off to no end to have a person sit there and tell me I don’t know what I am talking about in regards to MY 130# weight loss. Think I MIGHT know what happened to ME AND HOW I did it.

Sorry. Hi everyone :heart:

A Calorie is Not A Calorie - A Discussion of Thermodynamics

Being a fellow New Englander, something tells me somebody just got their nuts pinballed right before this was written? :rofl:

I’d have to agree with you knowing what YOU did, you look awesome BTW :wink:

(Carolyn aka stokies) #3

Ah no, luckily for them :wink: and thanks!

(Bacon for the Win) #4

I am so sick and tired of this. So much mansplaining in my life these days it’s a wonder I don’t take them all out. Car buying, data throttling, and now how to fill my damn gas tank.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. You look fabulous and clearly know a thing or two about what you’re doing!

(Carolyn aka stokies) #5

No hijacking noted! It is a venting thread so by all means! Vent!

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Great transformation.

I hear ya on the mansplaining.

I don’t talk much in real life about my own journey, because even the women don’t want to hear about eating healthy fats, some protein, and lower the carbs. I have seen some even roll their eyes. And you know what they are still overweight and I am not. Works for me.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #7

I don’t share much outside the community myself as well. This was a person commenting on a progress post on one of my social pages. I absolutely hear that!

Thanks for the kind words!

(Bacon for the Win) #8

:point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:
so much this. My coworkers think I’m crazy, but I’ve lost almost all the weight I wanted to lose, and they just keep getting fatter and probably sicker.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #9

Yup.

(Rebecca ) #10

Congratulations on all of your health improvements!!
I don’t even try to explain why I eat the way I eat. Nearly everyone I work with is…VEGAN!!!
The only person who gets it is my husband/best friend of 35 years because he has seen what it has done for me/us!!
I wish you continued success!!

(Ideom) #11

Wow, that’s a truly admirable loss there. For all the differences between you and the other person, can you not agree that it’s a heck of a lot of calories coming from stored fat? One way or another, the body has to do it, short of surgical methods.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #12

Not when they tell me I am wrong and unwilling to engage in a discussion. And they have no idea what I did. I don’t indulge determined fools. I wrote this as a vent, not a response to them. As it were, if it were someone I was close with, I would take the time to share with them and be open to their thoughts. This was an unsolicited douchebag who chimed in to a conversation that had nothing to do with them. Gotta love social media for armchair debaters.

(Jacquelyn Graham) #13

You owe no one your peace of mind. Even if it is tempting to give them a piece of your mind. There are ubertwats everywhere who think they can infer the complete truth of any given situation based on very little information. It’s a common mental derangement and you are giving it the attention it deserves, none.

(David Cooke) #14

Men get ‘mansplaining’ as well. Both from men and women.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #15

No doubt hence my pre apology lol :laughing:

(Bob M) #16

CICO is one of those tough things, because (1) it can’t be proved or disproved; (2) it makes sense at some level; and (3) yet, there are so many things wrong with it.

For instance, if I go on a low carb/keto diet and lose weight, one could argue that I lost weight because I ate less…which is kinda true. Of course, misses the whole WHY did I eat less, which CICO-phants don’t like to answer.

In reality, CICO is circular, which is what makes it so difficult to overcome.

(Elmo) #17

130 lb. weight loss versus the douchebag. :smile: Amazing. I would have said, “Well you stupid [insert profane and derogatory adjectives and noun here].”

Beautifully said, and yes, the complexity of existence cannot often fit on a bumper sticker. We seem to live in bumper sticker times.

Oy, this makes it sound like religion. :wink:

“Kinda true”? We all know it’s not only eating less, to begin with, and I fully concur that eating low carb changes the downstream effects, versus high carb. But if weight loss was desired and was achieved, then what problem is there?

I’d vote for it being the opposite; really just like a line of computer programming, i.e. an “if-then” statement. Isn’t it as linear as can be? It’s either a snapshot of a system at a point in time, or it’s talking about energy usage as we go along the time axis, no?

(Kirk Wolak) #18

Been there, some MORON on Twitter said “Congratulations, you ate less!”

Truth be told, I ate less OFTEN, but ate a lot of calories while losing weight.
I call them CICOPaths… (Rhymes with Psychopaths)…

But there is SOME truth to fewer calories. It’s certainly ONE lever of many.

But losing over 100#s is not easy. I am up a little bit from Covid and loss of the gym, additional stress, but going into my 3rd year!

Keep up the good work!

(Bob M) #19

Not really. The theory is like this. If you lost weight, you reduced your calories. But I lost weight because I was no longer hungry, you say. Well, that lack of hunger caused you to eat less, meaning you lost weight. But when I ate high carb, I was hungrier, you say. Then you ate more, meaning you gained weight. The “then” wraps around to the “if”.

There’s really no way to “disprove” CICO. It can’t really be programmed into a computer.

And it completely ignores WHY you lose or gain weight. And ignores that we’re not a closed system (eg, you can lose calories by defecation, breath, sweat…). And I could go on forever about the flaws in the theory, but to a true cico-phant, it won’t make a difference. You lose or gain weight solely because of calories, don’tchaknow?

That’s why I ignore people like that.

(Bob M) #20

Another example. A cico-phant will say that people who fast lose weight solely because they lowered their calories.

However, I have found that I’m simply less hungry when I fast. For instance, even OMAD, I find I eat less than I would. The same way when I used to eat breakfast some days and not others: I found on the days I ate breakfast, I was still hungry at lunch. I found I ate less overall when skipping breakfast. And we could go into all the hormones and other physiological effects that might cause this, but a cico-phant just keeps saying fasting = eating less, therefore fewer calories.