Still on keto...but is my BP too low?

UPDATE: I finally reached my doctor (she returned my call) and have agreed to take 1/2 a pill (half 2.5 mg) for a month to see what happens. So far my BP has remained low, around 120/70. I did stop taking it all together for a few days, but time will tell, as the saying goes. I’ve not had that dizzy feeling any more, so that IS good.

Original: I don’t post much any more, but I am here every day reading what all of you post!

So, I’ve been eating Keto style for… well, since August of 2018. Anyway, my BP went down to normal. Then, this winter, at a doctor’s visit, I discovered my BP was pretty high. She gave me a prescription in case when I checked it at home for the next few days or weeks it was remaining high. Eventually I filled it and began using it because it did remain pretty high. That was back in February, I think.

Now that the weather is nice I’ve been outside for weeks working on a garden, weeding, mowing, etc. I have also started exercising in the house when weather isn’t good outside.

For the last week or more (not sure how long), I’ve noticed that I get a little dizzy when I go to bed. I take my BP pill about 30 to 40 minutes before going to bed. Last night I was very dizzy and felt like vomiting. Never did, and I slept sitting up in bed most of the night. I felt fine when I woke up and seemed to have gotten a good night’s sleep in spite of the bad start.

I do check my BP from time to time and it is usually around 120/70 or close to that in the morning. Tonight I took it twice and the first time it was 116/65 and 5 minutes later it was 112/68. I’ve been fairly active today with gardening, then mowing for an hour and a nice long, vigorous walk with my husband after supper.

Now I am wondering about skipping my BP pill tonight. It’s Amlodipine 5 mg. I really don’t want to feel dizzy and have the room spinning again. But I am afraid of not taking it! Ha! Oh, well, I will probably skip it tonight and call my doctor in the morning.

I know no one can give me medical advice, just wanting opinions or thoughts.

One of the side affects of this medication does include dizziness.

(Polly) #2

Good luck with getting yourself sorted out with regard to BP and medication.

(Bunny) #3

Have you talked to your Doctor about potassium and sodium balance or imbalances?

Not that, that is the cure-all but maybe a possibility?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I have been on different blood pressure meds for over a decade. Keto has helped but not cured my hypertension. The effects of different BP meds can change on you, especially as you get into ketosis and lose weight and get metabolic repairs happening. I was on clonidine patches last fall and all the sudden they weren’t working. I had trouble getting in touch with my doctor so I had to take it in my own hands and I emailed him to tell him what I was doing. I ended up needing to wear two patches to get my BP. under control kind of. It was still a bit high! When I saw him the day after I started a carnivore trial on New Year’s Day. Well he added another BP pill once a day in a very low dose and I stabilized, for a while. Then a few weeks later I was dizzy often. Sometimes it felt like the ground moving under me. I had never experienced low BP before in my life so I had no idea. One morning I had a blood pressure crash. It was early like 6am and I was really dizzy and going in and out of consciousness. I tested my BP and it was 58/40. There were other factors and it’s a long story but I removed the patches and started eating salt crystals and chugging water and an hour later I was 90/60 and continued to stabilize at about 130/65. So now I’m just on the low dose pill? It’s one quarter strength of the medication and I previously took it in a cocktail of four BP meds. So your needs change, sometimes drastically.

My advice is to ask your doctor to let you try a different BP Med. They all have side effects for some people and you might fine another more tolerable. Personally I have had bad experiences with calcium channel blockers which Amlodipine is. :cowboy_hat_face:

What was your BP when it was “high”. Simple math would say you don’t need the pills right now. If you’re going down to the point where you’re dizzy, taking a pill that makes you lower seems a little nuts. I’d skip it and keep an eye on your pressure. You have the ability to check your BP more often than your doc, don’t ignore what real life is telling you. How many times did he say your BP was high before putting you on meds?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

@lfod14 Oh I guess I left out that I’m stable now since February when I had that dangerous low crash. I’ve seen my doctor since then. My main point is I was on clonidine for years and it worked great until suddenly I had to double it. Then I think after a year and s half of KETO when I tried carnivore it made me suddenly be on way too much medication. It was strange having to double it for two months and then suddenly I didn’t need it at all.

When my BP is high it’s like 160/90. Now it’s about 128/65 ish usually. :cowboy_hat_face:

I appreciate this. You gave similar advice to someone else recently, and I looked up the links you offered. I have always tracked electrolytes and what I eat because I like doing that sort of thing. I do tend toward getting between 3000 and 4000 mg of potassium daily, and less than that in sodium, but I don’t track salt as much.

The last time I had a blood test (February) it was all good according to my doctor. I’ll go back and check. I do tend to use Lite Salt with my food when I know I’m not eating a lot of high potassium foods, but I don’t drink it in water or anything like that.

I do have a call into my doctor now. Really, I’d rather not take any BP meds, but will if I need to.

So you were able to get off the BP meds. That’s great! The thing is, my BP went down in the 6 months or so after I started Keto, but then this year (February) it was high again. I had been pretty sick with fever, congestion, sore throat, etc for a week or so before my doctor visit, and was still congested when I went in to see her. She didn’t seem to think my being sick would cause high BP. I continued to check it daily for a few weeks and it stayed high, so I began using the prescription she gave me.

Thing is, I tend to get nervous even taking my BP at home! I an often feel it go up while to take it. But the dizziness is new and, well, is plain uncomfortable. Especially feeling like I’m going to vomit.

Anyway, I’ll figure this out. I’m not eating differently, not really. I am leaning more toward carnivore, although with meat shortages this isn’t really a good time for that. :grin:

Back in February my BP was high around 165 or 170 over mid to high 80’s. I tested daily or every other day for a few weeks before I relented and began taking it. But just putting the BP cuff on myself makes me worry. Crazy, but that is how I react. Only, lately, it hasn’t been such a big deal. Perhaps I’m getting myself used to it, finally! Ha!

That’s a legit medical thing. It’s called white coat syndrome although it’s usually caused by being around doctors. Downside is it means you’re never getting a true reading on yourself.