Still in ketosis after tacos

(jilliangordona) #1

Hi everyone. I am new to world of blood measurements, and this evening my fiancé and I grabbed Mexican at our local favorite spot. I’ve been measuring around 2.2 mmol/L previously. We eat at 6:30 and I just measured my ketones at 8:45 and I still was registering in ketosis at .7mmol/L. Thoughts on this reading? Was it too close to the meal to really measure being kicked out of ketosis? Or am I finally insulin sensitive?

I struggle to lose any real weight in keto (not because of frequent non keto meals, this evening was a rarity) and I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on

(Karen) #2

You’ve doing this a long time and your body is healingg. Maybe you are more sensitive.

When you’re in ketosis, your liver, muscles, and other tissues aren’t full of glycogen. A little bit of excess carbohydrate will readily be taken up by the insulin rise if you’re insulin sensitive. Insulin also blocks glucagon from being secreted by the pancreas, and it’s glucagon that signals the liver to create glucose from ketosis.

So the tacos didn’t cause a big enough insulin rise to completely stop ketosis. Meaning you didn’t need a lot of insulin to take care of the excess glucose in your blood, which implies your body is sensitive to insulin.

Ketones are an indicator of the activity in the fat burning pathway. Blood glucose is a better indicator of what’s going on with insulin. I’m fairly IR, but one meal of carbs only drops my ketones by about half.

Insulin sensitivity can be tested with a glucometer. Measure your BG before a meal, and again 60 and 120 minutes after eating. In insulin sensitive folks, BG spikes and then returns to basal levels. In resistant folks, it stays elevated for a long time. If you do this every 6 months, you can track how your IR is improving over time.