Still feeling weak

(Annette ) #1

Hi all, I’m entering my 6th week of strict Keto. I’m checking my ketones with a blood meter and they’re almost never below 1.5. The issue is that I feel shaky in the morning and weak through the day. I am not a diabetic and my sugars tend to be in the 70’s and 80’s.
I supplement with tons of pink salt, low salt, and a magnesium supplement daily. I drink at least 80 oz of water per day. What else should I be doing?

Are you actually eating enough? I know if you give examples of your eating there are some VERY knowledgeable folk on here who will be able to give you specific advice. Hope you feel better soon x

(Jon) #3

Are you eating enough ? Dont place too much thought into calories, and eat a big good breakfast.
Eat greens, I personally felt a huge difference when I started to devour greens to a much larger extent than before, even if I take multivitamins, calcium, magnesium and salt.

You could also visit your GP for a general blood checkup.

Also some people use long time to get fully keto adapted, 6 weeks is not always long enough.

(Annette ) #4

I generally eat about 1600 cal/day. I’m 5’9”. I just saw my GP and everything is ok. I may need some more greens. I’ve been eating eggs and sausage for breakfast, full fat chicken salad on lettuce with vinaigrette; some sort of meat for dinner, usually without veg. I may have a George Stella low carb flax brownie or 1/2 cup whipped heavy cream.

If you’re used to eating three times a day, then eat three meals, and as much as you can. Just avoid snaking between meals.

The most important think you can do is focus on keeping your carbs low; 20 g/day is optimal.

Check out this getting started guide for more info. Wish you success!

Humor :-)
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Maybe you’re overdoing this a bit. What exactly is ‘tons of salt’? Are you weighing it? Are you eating enough calcium? Redmond Real Salt is probably a better option than ‘pink salt’, which could be pretty much anything. Real Salt contains many additional minerals. French’s No Salt is a better potassium source than Low Salt, which is a mix of potassium and sodium salts. How much magnesium is in the supplement? Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) and magnesium bitartrate (cream of tartar whoops! cream of tartar has a shit load of carbs!) are good sources of magnesium which can be easily mixed with sodium and potassium salts. All these salts are far cheaper than ‘supplements’, plus you can mix to whatever proportions you want.

Also, don’t get too enamored with your blood ketone meter. Or the numbers on it.

(Susan) #7

Are you sure you are eating enough fats? I find if I don’t eat enough fats in a day I feel really tired and edgy, hungry, etc make sure you are eating enough fats.