Steak dinner observation

(Scott) #17

It is funny how some find beef fat so disgusting when it is on the side of a steak but ground beef or bacon are fine. I think it may be more of a texture thing. I have always secretly like fat but only since going keto have I come out of the closet on fat. I used to go for the lean filet but now go for the ribeye with lots of fat & marbling.

(mole person) #18

@Rclause I feel so bad for my poor husband. A lifetime of me forcing him to cut off the fat from his steak so that he wouldn’t die of a heart attack and leave me alone. :pensive:

(Marianne) #19

:rofl:

I’m sorry, but I just had to laugh at the absurdity of this, knowing what we know. I guess we ketonians live in bizzaro-world from the majority of the population.

I’ve also had very obese people say to me in spite of my 50+ lbs. weight loss, “but I could never give up bread,” “but I could never give up fruit.” It’s actually very sad. All I can do is say “I love it” and keep my mouth shut.

(PJ) #20

It’s all about texture for me. I’m a texture snob palate-wide. I can’t eat fat on the outside of meat unless it’s a bare 1/16" or something. 1/8" if I’m really, really pushing “trying not to pay attention.” (Because I feel like a 10 year old cutting it off my steak in a restaurant lol.) But I don’t mind fat at all. Love it in general, as a macronutrient, and I certainly love bacon, butter and cheese! It’s just the sort of… squishy, rubbery, oh yuck I’m grossing myself out just thinking about it. :roll_eyes:

I understand the comparison but it is close to a non sequitur in the context and delineation between foods and drugs. Bread is not a drug. Alcohol is not a food.

With those ideas partitioned we can put sugar in the drug cabinet next to the whiskey rather than next to bread in the food bowl. The fake beer and wine are going in the drug cabinet.

Once the bread gets mouldy (unlikely with the highly processed cake-like material sold as bread, but it might as nobody is going to eat it) it can be taken from the food bowl and used in the medicine cabinet to make poultices for non-healing dibetic ulcers, as the Penicillium has antimicrobial properties.

Also, bread is an anagram of beard. Having a beard is a form of filter feeding.

I’m trying to think of the podcast where this social aspect was explored; of young women not wanting to be seen eating red meat (or even eating meat) as it is considered unladylike? really?

I think it was Amy Berger talking about it in context with dealing with college age women with eating disorders. It may have been Amber O’Hearn mentioning it as well as I have been listening to her wisdom a bit lately as well.

(Don’t GoGoDuck Amy Burger - it goes to a vegan cheese burger recipe and pretty much highlights what I’m saying)

Is there a discussion topic on this wierd (to me, as a male) societal, or cultural image pressure? Is it something women inflict upon each other? Or, is it misogynistic?

Personally, I’d rather see women eating well as discussed in these forums. Eating well out in public, showing the younger women that eating properly is normal.

Yoop, this may be better suited to another topic. Apologies for throwing in the detour.

Just read this timely post by @SecondBreakfast : No one wants to hear it

(Bunny) #23

Truth of the matter be known, you can as a matter fact eat bread on a ketogenic diet.

Who ever started that “…you cannot eat bread…” on keto myth, severely misunderstands concept!

I myself ate and still eat bread on keto with no problems. Just not as much!

Not many people are going to maintain 20 grams of carbohydrates for the rest of their life, it’s just not possible unless you have resistant starch going on with keto or carnivore, sorry folks that’s reality…a place I like to dwell!

I feel sorry for your friend because he now thinks he cannot have bread on this diet…misinformation never ceases to amaze me?

Also. Be rad!

Bared

Bear’d

(mole person) #26

I wasn’t talking about eating meat. I’ve never been a person who cared about having a particularly ladylike aspect, in fact my family has always found the extreme gusto with which I eat very amusing. The last time I visited family I ate only big steaks with nothing else on the plate.

But eating or gnawing on bones transcends male/female expectations and gets into where people see the dividing line between man and beast. My uncle Sammy, without question the most masculine man in my family, used to eat, gnaw, and suck on the chicken carcass while everyone else supped on the meat. This horrified my family to no end.

You are an inspiration. It was just my take on what you mentioned Ilana. That set me off on a different thought tangent. Uncle Sammy has got it right, suck the marrow from life :smiley:

Many won’t ever give up the bread. Won’t give up all the processed junky food out there. I so get it. I didn’t want to til I realized with all that in it my life was lousey, felt horrible. Once gone and eating Carnivore, I thrive now.

Trim the fat…those words are horrifying LOL

I see situations like yours at that dinner table and cringe. I swear I have to avoid any diet chat with others or I go bonkers…you did well thru that dinner LOL

(Bob M) #29

Resistant starch is useless. I used Bob’s Redmill Potato Starch and other resistant starches, along with various probiotics, and got only detriments. Try starting with several tablespoons of starch if you don’t believe me.

While I don’t think everyone has to be carnivore and I still eat the periodic plant (will have two pickle spears at lunch today), they aren’t necessary. No starch is necessary, either.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #30

Paul, I disagree. I think it would be hard to say I wasn’t addicted to carbs. My favorite junkfood was donuts. Yet my couple slices of keto bread now, is totally enough. And it’s not like I’m using much will power to not go crazy with it… Or to stay away from any other “non keto” types of wheat products.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

I’m sorry to say that it is, for me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

Good for you. The only thing that saves me from bingeing on keto bread is that every keto bread recipe I’ve tried so far tastes too eggy to work as bread. I soon decided that that was a blessing, in my case.

(Bunny) #33

Just for future reference you have to adapt to resistant starch intake several table spoons is too much when starting out, you just need a little bit or you will bloat up with gas…

(Bunny) #34

I hear this “not necessary“ rhetoric only problem with that logic is then you become dependent on a constant external source of butyrate from grass fed butter and gelatin and you might get some from eating just meat, but you can produce it yourself (resistant starch) and have an endless supply?

And yes you do need resistant starch on the carnivore diet, an absolute must, if don’t want to get colon cancer (or play with your life on a dice roll?) and if you already have colon cancer and low iodine you will just feed the cancer with the resistant starch, those are facts you cannot change by words alone, that’s what the research will tell you when you put all the variables together, which will be forthcoming in future posts…

And on that note it is not the insoluble or soluble fiber that prevents colon cancers it is the resistant starch the produces the butyrate (a ketone body) that prevents it…

I can see myself eating all my keto bread if I’m not focused, it’s normal for me when something baked is involved so I simply make a small amount every time. It’s not very often, I rarely need bread and was fine without it for years.

(PJ) #36

Wheat and lactose spark “gnawing noshing cravings” in me. I drink kefir in small amounts and ignore the constant low-level nagging. If I drink too much it gets louder. I don’t eat wheat for gut reasons (much misery) generally, but on the rare annual occasion I might do it and suffer (weirdly, I suffer less if I just eat a crapload of it, instead of getting accidentally gluten’d as a tiny ingredient in something, probably overdoses the immune response or something), I then spend the next month forcibly ignoring the noshmonster living in the basement of my head. I think this issue of addiction is clearly very individual.