Steak dinner observation

Dinner with friend who is about 55 pounds overweight (according to him) which is precisely what I lost in 4 months (I am 7 months in). I ordered the ribeye, grilled vegetables and spinach and mushrooms.

He ordered a NY strip with potatoes and ate my share of the bread they brought.

His observation “ribeyes have too much fat” as he trimmed every tiny amount of fat off the steak.

When we got done my plate was empty.

“Where is all that fat?” he asked.

Then I told him I ate it as it was part of my “diet” (I know)

That lead to the keto talk. Ended with “No way can I give up bread”

SIgh

I didn’t grow up eating a lot of steak. I started eating a lot of steak when I started on keto. It was kind of surprise to me when a friend said that the fat was disgusting. That’s my favorite part of the steak!

It has been over 2 years. There are still times when I miss bread and other times I could care less. I find I cannot have alcohol before dinner because things go out the window as they did on Saturday night. Yet there are other times when I completely forget about food. Today I had a work project that was annoying me so I focused on that, then I had to pick up a kid an hour away. By the time I got home it was after 9, dinner was eh and I simply did not bother. That is the bizarre aspect.

What helped me at the beginning were bread like substitutes. Keto rolls, fat head pizza and so on. I still make them occasionally but mostly do not bother. If you can present those alternatives may help them

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

I think he means ‘sugar.’

(Raj Seth) #5

pre keto - I used to make ribeye, and used to trim the fat - not to avoid the fat (I ordered extra butter on the steak), but I didn’t really like the taste/texture.

Just last night, I was trimming the fat off the ribeye - but that was just so I could savor it separately, “unspoiled” by the meat.

Lizard brain wants the fat now - who woulda thunk it?

Now I eat the fatty cap first, and only eat the lean eye if I have to!

(mole person) #6

@Rajseth I find myself just wanting the piece around the bone. It’s a glorious mix of fat, meat, and connective tissues and I adore it now. But I look like a cave woman gnawing on it for 20 minutes after. I could never do that in front of anyone except my poor husband…lol.

(Ken) #7

He might as well have said: “No way I can give up Heart Disease and Diabetes”.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Not to mention stroke, gout, high blood pressure, and Alzheimer’s disease.

Oh, and I forgot amputations resulting from diabetic necrosis! :bacon::bacon:

(Raj Seth) #9

When i eat chicken wings - I spend more time taking every bit of chewable cartilage and connective tissue off the joint end. the meat is almost an inconvenient roadblock!

(mole person) #10

I’m right there with you.

(John) #11

"That is why you fail.’

• Yoda

Eat the fat you must

(Joey) #13

@Fracmeister Sounds like your friend couldn’t even give up your bread … how could he expect to give up his own? :man_shrugging:

This is not an impasse.

It seems a point in these conversations where we let the curious person stamp their foot and say, “I’m not going there.”

This is a shame. A small one. Since the conversation was entered in to, there was a glimmer of sharing a passion. They were ready to enquire. And that is the moment to talk about it. They came to you.

People can eat bread on a keto way of eating. A whole world of breads and bread making technology and ancient wisdom opens up on keto. @FishChris

Believing that they can’t give up the bread is another form of a cry for help, another yelp in the battle with the internal hunger beast, and that they do not really know about the foods they are eating (and what they are feeding their hunger).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

“What? You don’t drink at all? And you get all these benefits from sobriety? Oh, but I couldn’t give up my whiskey . . .”

In my experience, that’s a roadblock to any further discussion. And proposing supposedly safe alternatives that are too similar to one’s drug of choice isn’t actually a good idea; the number of alcoholics who have ended up on benders by starting with non-alcoholic beer or alcohol-free wine is too high to count.

Psychological factors come into play, as well. There is a brand of non-alcoholic sparkling cider that is packaged just as though it were Champagne. I haven’t been able to keep any in the house since early sobriety, because just looking at the bottles makes me want to get drunk.

I suspect that, just as non-alcoholic versions of alcoholic drinks are safe only for non-alcoholics, keto bread substitutes are safe only for those who are not addicted to carbohydrates.

There are probably some people who can’t give up bread but the majority just doesn’t even try. They doesn’t even try to IMAGINE that, it seems… My SO ate bread with everything. Then he stopped for years easily when we tried to figure out if eating gluten free makes a difference for us. It didn’t. Giving up gluten wasn’t even hard for us. You don’t know till you try, usually… Your friend probably just doesn’t want to get out of his comfort zone but it doesn’t mean it would be super hard if he tried. I never had so much surplus fat but if suddenly had, I surely would think differently. I would give up ANY food for my health I imagine. But I don’t need to do that, thankfully.

I’m sure the friend should try to restrict himself. We shouldn’t just eat whatever we wish, SOME restriction must be applied if we don’t desire the right things in the right amount. It’s pretty basic to me but a foreign idea for many, sadly.
It’s especially sad if people never even try a new, better lifestyle that would feel way better. I love carbs in general (especially veggies, this made keto a bit difficult in the beginning) but I’m lucky I tried low-carb and later keto. I will never go back to high-carb, I’m a hedonist so I want to feel better and nicely satiated all day. While eating great food. I had no idea how keto will feel and how it changes me. I had to try. And we can change a lot. Bread really doesn’t seem important, it’s just commonly used. We can break that habit. Many of us can “substitute” it with vegetables or nothing in most cases. I personally need my keto bread sometimes (when I fancy for Marmite, for example) but it’s not an every day occurrence.
Lowering the carb intake is very often a good idea. Even if it’s not actually keto. Many people feels better and loses fat on low-carb, 80g worked nicely for me, for example. So even if giving up bread sounds so hard, some efforts should be made (including less bread or at least lower-carb bread… bread is just too carby and people eat too much of it).

(Scott) #17

It is funny how some find beef fat so disgusting when it is on the side of a steak but ground beef or bacon are fine. I think it may be more of a texture thing. I have always secretly like fat but only since going keto have I come out of the closet on fat. I used to go for the lean filet but now go for the ribeye with lots of fat & marbling.

(mole person) #18

@Rclause I feel so bad for my poor husband. A lifetime of me forcing him to cut off the fat from his steak so that he wouldn’t die of a heart attack and leave me alone. :pensive:

(Marianne) #19

:rofl:

I’m sorry, but I just had to laugh at the absurdity of this, knowing what we know. I guess we ketonians live in bizzaro-world from the majority of the population.

I’ve also had very obese people say to me in spite of my 50+ lbs. weight loss, “but I could never give up bread,” “but I could never give up fruit.” It’s actually very sad. All I can do is say “I love it” and keep my mouth shut.

(PJ) #20

It’s all about texture for me. I’m a texture snob palate-wide. I can’t eat fat on the outside of meat unless it’s a bare 1/16" or something. 1/8" if I’m really, really pushing “trying not to pay attention.” (Because I feel like a 10 year old cutting it off my steak in a restaurant lol.) But I don’t mind fat at all. Love it in general, as a macronutrient, and I certainly love bacon, butter and cheese! It’s just the sort of… squishy, rubbery, oh yuck I’m grossing myself out just thinking about it. :roll_eyes: