Staying within Macros

(Stephanie Walsh) #1

Help! I am on a 1200 cal plan for keto which breaks down to 100 grams fat. 60 grams protein and 15 grams carbs. Really struggling to meal plan to meet these macros. My carbs are always fine but my proteins and fats are always a bit off. Are there some meal plans out there that fulfill this macro count?

(Scott) #2

1200 seems low on the calories to me. Keto is not really about calorie restriction. People will want to know more about your height and current weight to help. How long have you been eating keto?

(Stephanie Walsh) #3

I am 5’3" and weight 167. My goal is to lose 20 pounds or more. I figured a calorie deficit would enable me to lose 2 pounds weekly. Plus I do moderate exercise 5 days weekly. I have been doing keto for just over 4 weeks. The scales are showing 7.5 pound weight loss. Measurements haven’t changed much. I am trying to get my carbs from veggies which I love. But everyday in meal planning I struggle to get enough fat and not too much protein while staying with in the 1200 calorie window.

(Stephanie Walsh) #4

I am also doing intermittent fasting 16/8. Desperate to lose some significatn weight before my Florida trip in 5 weeks.

You’re setting yourself up for failure, sorry. Losing weight isn’t a simple mathematical formula and five weeks isn’t enough time to give your body time to get fat adapted.

(Running from stupidity) #6

This.

Generally speaking, keto is a HORMONE control diet, not a CALORIE control diet.

You’re giving yourself ALL SORTS of issues here.

Keto is this easy (Keto for beloved noobs)

This is for Phase One - the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy to explain version which will help you no end.

• Eat under 20g of carbs a day

• Don’t worry about the scale

• Eat plenty of good food - fat and protein - while adhering to 20g/carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritize the protein - always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary - it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.

• ELECTROLYTES/SALT - KEEP THEM UP

• Buy the meat you can afford - don’t stress about grass-fed, organic (con), etc… The worst meat is better than the best bread.

• Fasting is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Works for lots, not for others. Don’t let tools tell you to use it before you’re fat-adapted and it makes sense.

• This site has a search function (magnifying glass at the top of the page) and a newbies section - use them both, you’ll get a better variety of answers to your questions far more quickly that way. SERIOUSLY, THIS IS VERY USEFUL.[1]

That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.

My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty, but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids! :slight_smile:

Lots of Love, THE JUICE

Expanded version is HERE

[1]If you can’t find a useful answer after searching and reading for a while, we can help you a lot more if you tell us relevant data about yourself such as your reasons for doing keto, your weight/height/age/gender, a sample menu plan & any relevant health conditions.

(Carl Keller) #7

Hello and welcome Stephanie.

I believe the three most important things when doing keto is to not starve yourself, to not stuff yourself and to keep your carbs low (under 20 net is my recommendation for best results). Macros often make that difficult because some number derived from a bunch of averages may or may not leave you hungry

So my advice is to let satiety be your guide for how much fat and protein you eat. IMO, there is no better measure for how much you should eat than your own hormones. Everybody is different. If it takes 1500-1700 calories to keep you from being hungry, then so be it. Constant hunger is counterproductive.

(Laurie) #8

Maybe you’re getting distracted by complicated or cutesy recipes (ham and asparagus rollups, anyone?), or trying too hard to eat meals that resemble what you used to eat. Maybe start here:

One hamburger patty, or 2 chicken thighs, or 3 eggs, or half a can of salmon, or 2.5 ounces of real cheese (e.g., Swiss or cheddar), or a smallish pork chop each has about 20 grams of protein. Mix and match to get your 60 grams of protein per day. Don’t avoid fat. If you’re not getting enough fat, add a bit of butter, bacon, or olive oil, and get used to frying instead of poaching, etc.

As others have said, eat more if you want.

I hope that helps.

(Robert C) #9

Another thing to keep in mind about your trip.

If you have restricted too much you might start a little lower but if you “let go” while on vacation, you might rebound and balloon to the point of needing new cloths in Florida.

If you focus on getting your hormones more and more into fat burning mode, you will start with a little higher weight but, you’ll rebound much less or not at all (especially if you at least avoid the major carbs like bread dropped on your table and pasta).

(Stephanie Walsh) #10

I suppose increasing my calories more may help in the long run. I guess I am still looking for the “quick” fix. Thanks for your responses.

(Alex ) #11

you’re not the only one!

It’s super easy to edge back into massive calorie restriction when you want results.

For me, I always know when I’m pushing the boundaries of what my body will allow calorie wise when I try and do reasonably aggressive exercise - Spin Classes, Running, whatever, usually it will be headaches, light headedness, coldness and generally bad moods that happen. they all mysteriously disappear when I eat a bit more!

Allowing more calories to your daily allowance is definitely the way forward, especially if you’re working out!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Avocados, some keto friendly nuts
(1-2oz.), pork rinds, extra eggs, cheese, sour cream and fish oil are some ways to up fats in your diet. And a spoon full of olive or coconut oil is not so bad straight up.

(Stephanie Walsh) #13

I have been paying less attention to caloric and more focused on macros. I think its helping immensely. I am very active so hoping my body will shrink and tighten as time goes on while on keto. No more scales!!!