Special Needs Children and Increasing Weight in the Very Fussy

Ugh! Isn’t that horrible? It’s the system working against the parents who are trying to keep their children healthy.

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #22

I thought if I closed their school lunch account, it would prevent them getting stuff, but instead it just got a letter sent home that I needed to reinstate their account as I was in a debit mode and owed the school money.

Reminds me of a parent who got in trouble at a school in Canada, because she sent her child to school with a lunch box that contained dinner leftovers (roast beef and roasted vegetables). The parent did not feed her children breads/rice/pasta…etc. The school “nutritionist” found out about this, gave the kid white-flour saltine crackers and sent an official letter to the parent for not feeding the child properly.

This is what parents are up against. It is ridiculous.

(Charndra Pile) #24

That’s do astounding! In Australia, we provide all their food, though they can order lunch from the canteen. Younger kids have to eat fruit at 9.30am, they frown upon anything like cheese and crackers. Gotta get those 6 meals in!

(Charndra Pile) #25

Everyone eats it, “Chika Eggs” is creamy scramble with ham or bacon bits, “Mangle Eggs” is creamy scramble. (They were into 5 nights at Freddy’s at the time…) Soooo delicious I’m drooling writing it down… We had a speech therapist with us most of those days too…
I’m going to give it another go soon through.

(Charndra Pile) #26

That’s exactly it, a win soon turns to “I hate it”. Argh!
Today I have made roasted chicken tenders with Parmesan cheese on top, to put in his lunch box.
Also made roasted chicken wings, this awesome recipe used baking powder to give the chicken crispiness, and it worked! Also added a spot of turmeric for colour, garlic powder and Parmesan again. The recipe calls to, ready for this, pour browned butter all over them to serve…mmmmmm.
His appetite is picking up a tiny amount, possibly. I’ve got 2kg of IKEA meatballs in the freezer for keto Swedish meatballs (he claims to hate them, but who can???) And a set of plain burgers for cooking up with cheese to be a cheeseburger.
Would you believe that my 12 year old is having a zero carb month and doing better than I am? (I’m still having a coffee, lol). Steak for breakfast, “no, I can’t have any crackers for recess” So, different…

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #27

Do you have the nutrition content for the Ikea meatballs handy? When we were there a few weeks ago, I asked at the lunch counter and was told they have gluten (carbs). I was then offered a lovely vegan gluten-free “meatball” which I turned down. I took the chicken salad.

On a side note, my 5 year old was complaining of nothing fun to do (she’s learned not to say she is bored), so I said, “Let’s make brownies!” She put her hand up in a “stop” position and said, “Only if we don’t make the gross ones. You only make gross ones any more and I don’t like them.”

So much for the zucchini brownie recipe! I’m going to have to try Keto King’s recipe next.