Sous vide?

(Steve) #1

I am doing Carnivore . I don’t really lie sea food, and so far mostly chicken breast , ground beef and steak . I grew up not eating much steak but when we did it was filet minion or t-bone. When I go the store the other steak look like they are loaded in fat . They are expensive here and I know fat it ok but I would probably just cut around it. Is it worth while getting a sous vide machine . I don’t want to cook for forn4 hrs etc . I can cook my steak really well just not sure about cheapwrnsteaks. Tried watching YouTube on cheaper meats but didn’t really help

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

I think sous vide is a great way to cook meat - or anything else that you want to remain tender and juicy. Highlights below from the sous vide topic I created when I started experimenting and getting helpful feedback and suggestions from many other. My topic would be good place to start. Of course, there’s a complete category on the forum dedicated to sous vide.

(Bob M) #3

Sous vide does help, although you can do braising too. However, if you’re carnivore, I’m not sure what you’d braise in. Is stock OK?

I used to cook all my steaks sous vide, then sear, but now I’ve been using this:

I think the salt needs to be 3/4 tsp instead of 1 tsp/side. Other than that, this is great.

(Bob M) #4

Oh, I also brush on tallow or ghee before searing.

(UsedToBeT2D) #5

Sous vide is just too much work for me. Grill it, fry it, bake it, slow cook it. Try some slow cooked beef cheek…marvelous!!

(Jack Bennett) #6

I’ve been really happy with sous vide flank steak and sirloin. Both turn out really tender. Add aquick sear on both sides and it’s ready to eat.

this is me to a T. I am not a kitchen person.

but OP if you wanna try sous v go for it.

a great one is put a big old slab of chuck roast or any other meat like beef ribs in a crockpot and just walk away and that is another option.

with carnivore it kinda is like just eat the meats, cook them in experimental ways and more and just see what you love and what cooking method is best etc. You might then end up a top of the line ‘Carnivore Chef’ and become a meat cooking expert :slight_smile:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m a minimalist. I probably spend less time preparing food than any other person on this forum. I actually spend more time eating it than preparing it. I just want to eat and get on with my life. Sous vide is probably the easiest, ‘set it and forget it’ way to cook ever invented. My first sous vide experience was a Marcangelo Bacon Wrapped Beef Top Sirloin Medallion cooked in a Ziplock freezer bag in my adjustable temp water kettle. Yes, you need to purchase a task-specific tool for it if you want to control the temperature and cooking time to within a fraction of a degree and second. I eventually purchased such a device from Canadian Tire here in North Vancouver. In addition you need a container that can hold hot water. Here’s my current setup. And you can get better results using a vacuum bagger like the one I already owned for many years prior to sous vide. Compared to roasting, grilling, frying, baking - sous vide beats them all hands down in ease and end result. In my humble opinion. Admittedly, eating it raw beats sous vide for prep time. :cut_of_meat:

(Steve) #9

If you want to have the most tender beef, lamb, pork or chicken in your life, then sous vide is definitely the way to go. (I’ve been doing it for about 5 years). I typically cook my beef roast for 3 days at 135F, then slather them in olive oil, liberal salt and pepper (again, as I do the salt and pepper on the roast pre-sous-vide), then into a 450F pre-heated oven for 15 minutes to get some nice Maillard reaction on the outside.
Sous vide is the most forgiving way to cook meat - for the most part, if you get busy and forget it’s in there, it only gets more tender. (eggs and fish are timing sensitive…don’t want to go over).

It’s just another tool in your culinary toolkit (an instant-pot or slow cooker is also a very worthy addition) - they both have their place.

There’s many appliances for this on the market these days - as there’s so many cheap ones coming out of China - worth looking at any well selling / well reviewed ones and save a lot of $, rather than buying a name brand unit.

Oh, also, the more fat marbled through the meat, the better - there’s lots of cuts that people typically right off as tough / cheap - that if they have sufficient fat content, come out insanely tender after 3 or 4 days. :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #10

I’ve gone away from longer cooking times. I feel they make the meat mushy. I cooked frozen brisket yesterday, 135 for about 24 hours. Will take it for lunch and have it for dinner. 24 hours is my new max, but I do 12 for most roasts.