Sous Vide at Target

(Robert Hollinger) #1

Saw the Anova Sous Vide products at Target tonight. regular price so no good deal but was just wondering if this community (and all its variants) is having an impact on the market or if it’s just becoming popular on its own?

(Sophie) #2

What was the regular price?

(Robert Hollinger) #3

sorry MSRP I think is 129/159. the more expensive one is 9 w and wifi, lesser is 8w no wifi. i think. MSRP is from the anova website so I figured since target was the same price it’s pretty standard price.

(TJ Borden) #4

That’s a pretty common price but amazon runs specials pretty frequently. I picked up the Bluetooth model for $100 a month or so ago, and I’m loving it. Although my wife thinks the whole sous vide thing is just another level in the keto cult.

(Robert Hollinger) #5

I’m not quite there yet. I’m still debating the instant pot and my wife will probably kill me if I bring 2 more gadgets into our overcrowded kitchen. Oh and I’d need a vacuum sealer which would be 3 gadgets. sad because I just through out several servings of keto chili and a couple of other small leftovers that might have faired better with a vacuum sealer.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

It’s becoming popular all on its own.

I came to Sous Vide around 2008 with the Eades selling the Sous Vide Supreme. I’m on a BBQ group where the ongoing low level crisis is a group of traditionalists fighting with folks who use SV. I’m in a modernist cooking group where every December and January there is an influx of newbies.

Anova has been in target for a couple years now.

It’s not quite where the Instant Pot is in the collective cooking consciousness, but it’s a tier below.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

You really don’t need a vacuum sealer. I do most things in 1 and 2 gallon ziplocks.

(Brian) #8

Just got a sous vide stick. It was just a Wal-Mart special. Had to fix the impeller right out of the box but it seems to work well. Tried a “dry run” on Friday but didn’t get to cook anything with it yet. Have a hankerin’ for a tender juicy hamburger. :slight_smile:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Make sure to follow the Baldwin pasteurization on ground beef especially. Food safety is only a laughing matter until you have a weekend on the bowl.

(Brian) #10

Definitely!! Food safety is definitely a priority.

I tend to like things a little more cooked than some and my wife does too. So we’ll probably start with something more like “medium” as opposed to “rare”. That should add just a little more of a safety buffer than if we were shooting for barely cooked at all.

(Sophie) #11

You may not “need” a vacuum sealer, but you will love having one! I buy almost all of my meats in bulk, grind my own hamburger and seal everything for the freezer.

Sous vide uses time and temp… USDA temps are mainly for instant kill…

So to ensure safety, just follow proper techniques and ensure both time and temps are sufficient to achieve that level of pasteurization. The Doug Baldwin website is great resource for times and temps. But these days I just follow the Apps advice on Joule or Anova.

For some more sous vide links: A Sous Vide Primer (how to get started and why with a ketogenic lifestyle)

(Brian) #13

First attempt at a couple of chicken breasts was a big success!!

I put some salt and pepper and a slice of lemon, 147 degrees for 3.5 hours. Seared it quickly and added some browned butter on top. Served with asparagus (also with browned butter) and a salad. Topped it off with a chocolate ganashe cake for two.

Valentine’s day came early, what can I say!

:slight_smile:

As for the sous vide, I shouldn’t have been so modest with the salt and pepper but it was still good. Nice and tender but done. Not bad for a sous vide virgin. :smiley:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #14

Try just salt, and then add pepper and lemon after searing. The lemon and the pepper aren’t doing anything in the bag. Low Temp infusion of proteins is one of those myths perpetuated by folks selling the devices. The Science of Marinades still applies at 150*, as you’re just adding a “marinade” or rub to the protein in the bag.

This goes sideways on seafood (looser tied protein, so cooking shrimp, per se, in sauce, comes out really amazing) and vegetables (so, not interesting in this context, but sweet corn at 182x30, with butter… the butter doesn’t get into the kernels of corn, but it gets deep between them).

(Brian) #15

Thanks for the tips!

(Brian) #16

Since we were talking sous vide, I thought I’d update with today’s roast.

I put a 2.75 pound chuck roast on Sunday morning at 144 degrees. Let it cook at that temp for almost 30 hours. Had part of that roast for supper. DANG!! That was some good eats! I didn’t even need my knife.

Seasoning was super simple. I rubbed on a mix I got, which was pretty much salt, pepper, onion and garlic, then put it in it’s zip lock bag overnight in the fridge. Then straight into the cooker. Seared it on both sides very quickly when it came out in a hot frying pan. Took the juices out of the bag and made gravy to pour over.

Ate like a king tonight, and have plenty of leftovers to do it at least 2 more times.

Don’t know what’s next. Might try a bone in turkey breast I’ve had in the freezer.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

I’d go lower. like 135x48. Same spoonable texture, less well done.

(Brian) #18

Thanks, LeCheffre,

I thought about going a little cooler. But when I asked my wife what level of done-ness that she wanted, she said, “well-done”. Hmm. So it was a bit of a compromise. What it ended up being was probably closer to medium-well. It still had just a bit of pink left in it, I wasn’t sure if it would.

I think I was most impressed with the fact that it was such a cheap piece of meat. It was almost 3 pounds and something like $6. And it was really good. Plus, the two of us only ate about 1/3 of it so that means 2 more meals out of it.

My wife did comment that if she’d have made it in the crock pot like she had in the past, it would have been very tough. I’m liking the sous vide thing.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

Yeah, chucks are my jam. Anytime they are below $5/lbs here, I buy one and figure out a plan for it later. SV long for “steaks,” easy to do in the p-cooker for stew or chili… come summer, they are tasty BBQ, or QVQ, which is smoking, sous viding, smoking to finish. They’re great as Sous V-Q, too. You do what you did, then shock in ice water, chill to cold in the center and smoke as though it’s raw on the grill. Will finish much faster, but you do something like 155/24 or 135x72 ahead of the smoke, and in 3 hours of smoking, you have pulled beef. Amazing.

Also, if you’re doing steak, and you SV naked (without anything on it), you can get a ton of beef jus out of them, which is nice for soups and stews.