Sorry to bug y'all [Water Fast]

(Carl Vinson) #1

Hi, I am looking to water fast. One of the main things inspiring me to fast is my health. Particularly my teeth and jaw. I have had TMJ which I’ve been doing myofunctional therapy for. Right now I have cavities throughout my mouth. On my left side I have black caries on my upper and bottom molars. I have read… and have had a difficult time refinding, that a dr by the name of Herbert Shelton (I think?) fasted and his abscessed teeth fall out or had healed. That is one of the goals for which I’m aiming for. I was supposed to fast before but my fast was interrupted by Thanksgiving, I allowed someone to coax me into a glass of wine and to eat dinner with them. I really want to do my fast over because I know I have the mental capacity to do one.

Have any of you had any experience with healing teeth? What are your experiences?

(Brennan) #2

Never heard of healing teeth with fasting. I seriously recommend going to see a dentist. Abscessed teeth can lead to serious complications and “omg amputate my head to make the pain stop” levels of pain.

Have you done some searches on the forum? There are stories from folks about remineralization of teeth, but I think it’s smaller spots. Healing a mouthful of caries… idk.

You really do need to see a dentist I’m afraid - as @Brennan has pointed out the complications from abscessed teeth can be very serious indeed.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

I would not recommend undertaking a water fast specifically for healing your teeth without actually seeing a dentist. There are no guarantees.

(Carl Keller) #6

As incredulous as it sounds, there’s actually a fair amount of info on the web about using fasting to cure gum disease and bad teeth. I’m a little skeptical but I can’t deny that it makes a little sense to starve the microbes in your mouth whose acidic excretions cause tooth decay. Ideally it’s best to reduce or eliminate sugar since that’s what those microbes thrive on most.

There’s a Dr. David Kennedy video on YT where he says iodine is the best thing to kill harmful mouth microbes.

I would like to see some scientific studies on both of these ideas before I go recommending them to people.

(Brennan) #7

@CarlKeller I believe fasting would be good for dental health. For all of the reasons (especially sugar reduction). I just think if you’ve already got abscessed teeth, is a little late to jump on that wagon. Best to see a dentist first then switch to fasting to maintain dental health.