Sores in Mouth from Pecans

After I eat Pecans or Walnuts it makes bumps or sores in my mouth. They aren’t that bad if I eat them only once per day. But I am wondering, if these nuts are doing that to my mouth, are they causing an inflammatory response in my entire body and perhaps increasing cortisol and insulin? Not worth it to eat them despite them being only 1g carb per 1 oz serving if it causes all that. What do you all think?

(Running from stupidity) #2

I’d stop eating them due to the symptoms you describe, nothing further needed.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #3

Stay away from them - I had a similar response to walnuts, peanut butter and sometimes almond butter :frowning: I went for an allergy test three weeks ago and now I have to carry an epi pen around with me!!! I’m allergic to peanuts, hazelnuts and strawberries.
Go get checked. My doctor told me nut allergies can come out of nowhere and they can get worse.

(Edith) #4

That happens to me, too. I believe it is called oral allergy syndrome.

I was just allergy tested last week. All foods were negative, but I reacted to trees and grasses just like mentioned in the article. When I mentioned tree nuts making my tongue hurt to the allergist he mentioned the cross reaction, as well.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #5

It started happening to me out of the blue 5-6 years ago with walnuts. Nothing else but walnuts, I assumed I had developed an allergy to them. I never got tested maybe I should.

My tongue gets itchy if I eat egg whites. If Ibeat them on an empty stomach, my stomach stings too. It’s not a dangerous reaction, but it does deprive me of nutrients because of the allergic reaction continuing in the gut. If you can pin down one particular food than makes your stomach hurt, your mouth feel itchy or sore, your skin itchy or red (somewhat immediately), just stop eating it. A queasy feeling shortly after eating something can also be a sign of allergy.

(Jay Patten) #7

Allergy! Best just to avoid. Send your leftover pecans to me for proper disposal. :grin:

(Allie) #8

As others have said, best to avoid them.

I can’t eat RAW pecans/almonds because of what you described, but if they’re ROASTED I’m perfectly fine.

If you’re eating raw nuts, I’m almost positive you’ll have no symptoms if you buy roasted.

(Karen) #10

True, most people with oral allergy syndrome 0AS, are able to eat those items if they are cooked or roasted.

I am sensitive to carrots, celery, apples cantaloupe , kiwi, bananas, walnuts, almonds. It’s not really a full-blown allergy but I get prickly mouth, sometimes I can get some lip swelling. it’s best if I don’t eat them raw, but I can certainly eat them cooked.

Thanks for all the replies. The pecans were raw. I’ll try roasting them with a bit of butter and himalayan salt :slight_smile: Just wondering though if I no longer have the sores in the mouth as a result, does that necessarily mean my body isn’t having a stressful response to it raising cortisol?

Do nuts in general cause inflammation in the body?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

It sounds as though you are having an idiosyncratic allergic reaction. I’ve never heard of anyone else reacting that way. The only reason we advise caution with nuts on these forums is because of the carb count. (We figure that people with the standard nut allergy enjoy breathing enough that we don’t have to warn them about that.)

When I developed an allergy to tomatoes it started like that and eventually turned into my tongue bleeding if I ate them and feeling like the inside of my mouth had been cut all over - just personally, I would avoid them altogether, I feel like the reaction in the mouth is like a warning not to consume it and finding a way around the oral reaction doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t cause other internal inflammation.

(Khara) #14

Hmm. I too have the walnut issue. It’s mostly just a minor irritant, sores in my mouth. But even eating just one causes a reaction so I stopped eating walnuts years ago. Every now and then I’ll have a walnut as part of a nut mix and confirm, sure enough, that the reaction is still there. I always looked at it as no big deal and almost even forget about it sometimes. But, this thread is pointing out something important and that is that this allergy could get worse. Allergies can appear suddenly and get worse suddenly as we age. If I’ve been telling myself that the walnut reaction is no big deal and then at some point in the future I have a major reaction to something I eat, say a Keto bread with walnuts in it, I might not make the connection back to the walnut. Like others have said, I think it’s the body warning us. Best to pay attention to that warning even if it’s minor, so that we can avoid the major reaction possibly down the road.

I’m not sure about the cortisol,but I’m sure it may have at least a tiny effect.

When I was a kid I loved eating pears and green apples, but somewhere adulthood I noticed that they now make the inside of my mouth hot and itchy.

Even though the reaction is minor, you have to be careful because you can asphyxiate from a severe allergic response (although it’s highly unlikely).

Raw=Bad, Cooked= perfectly fine. I’m sure it has to do with something being broken down during the roasting process, with eliminates the allergic response.

P.S (Try blue Diamond brand. They have AMAZING flavors of almonds. Habanero BBQ and Salt & Vinegar are the best!)

My own allergy to eggs gets worse if I don’t have any food that contains eggs for a while. So I can suffer a little every once in a while, or be surprised by an awful reaction when I have unexpected egg containing food. Then again, I don’t want to overdo it, because that could easily worsen it. If I’m going to desentisize, I’ll do it in a hospital.

(Alex) #17

do almonds / macadamia elicit the same response? if so, ditch nuts all together. if not, maybe consider just sticking to those! hope you’re able to get to the bottom of your issue :+1:

I used to eat almonds all the time but was looking for a nut with less net carbs and protein, and pecans/macadamia have about half of net carbs + protein of almonds, which is significant to me since I limit my net carbs + protein to 105-110 grams per day.

44%20AM

Not a nut allergy, but I recently discovered that I’m allergic to avocados. Really?! I freakin’ love avocados and they were a staple of my Keto woe (like I’d eat one or two every day), so this is really annoying. I had to quit cold turkey :cry:

I am so sorry :cry: I thought I was developing an issue with avocados but it turns out I can’t eat ones from Walmart or Sams Club BUT I don’t have any issues so far with organic ones from Natural Grocers - depending on the type of reaction you’re having I wonder if Organic might be a fix for you too! I am allergic to bananas and was told to avoid Papaya because of it and watch closely for reactions to Kiwi fruit and avocado…apparently the similar pollen types, etc can cause these reactions to travel in groups lol.