Sometimes it seems like magic

I’ve always considered myself a person who leans towards science, data, and controlled experiments. While I understand the basics behind keto, it doesn’t always work like I think it should.

For my first 8 months on keto, I lost 83 pounds. In the following month maybe 1 lb.

In the first three months my A1c dropped 2 full points, in the following 5 months it only dropped .2. Starting last month, and this month my average blood glucose reading has dropped about 15 points. Haven’t had an A1c yet but if I stay at the level I am now for 3 months I should test about 5.4, a one point drop.

So when my weight loss stagnated, my blood sugar started plummeting. I have difficulty wrapping my brain around how this all works. Why it does what it does. So even though I don’t understand how, keto works for me, it does.

I appreciate all the info I’ve received in this forum. I appreciate reading about other’s struggles and successes. It has given me encouragement to stick with the program. So thank you all.

(Robin) #2

I can’t help with your blood sugar questions. But for many of us, we lose a good amount of weight very early on, then we may stall for a while, and it will often be a MUCH slower rate of loss for many months.

Thank you. I’m not complaining, just confused.

Have you been tracking your food intake and weight throughout the process? Did you fall into the normal meals turning into 2 meals, turning into OMAD and things like “eating to satiety” and lots of fasting?

you are you and your personal journey and you won’t ever be under staticstics of others or whatever science crap you read on the net cause YOU is YOU and you are doing for you. WE stand alone. A physical body that is not the other body but of course we got real science truths in some aspects, as not one plant carb is needed by our body for full survival, but in the end YOU are YOU and how ya live, and your location and work stress and enviroment etc. so always remember, your confusion is based on crap ya read on the internet, but if it ain’t you, then cool, can’t stress this enough…do you and learn you :slight_smile:

sounds like you are finding yourself personally thru all the ‘dieting hype’ and ‘this is what happened to me’ and you are finding your way big time forward. Love it, rock on YOU!

Lost about 35 lbs since started LC eating about 24 months ago. Went full Keto about 4 months ago. Weight plateaued at three months, then I went 2MAD and about 5 more came off.
Funny thing is blood sugar did not stabilize well below 100 until well three months into full Keto.
I just figured I have a lot of internal repair going on I cannot see and that it just simply takes time to burn out the longstanding visceral (internal) fat and triglycerides.
Upside is great body health in general, and elimination of inflammation/joint pain.
It’s all a journey and much of it is invisible.

I’m still above 100 but in the past month I’ve dropped rapidly, so rapidly a part of me is afraid my meter is broken. I’d started low carb about two months before my first A1c test which was 8.6. If all goes well I hope to be in the mid 5’s on my next test. I think I have a great deal of internal repair needed.

I’m just amazed that for months I languished in the mid 130s and in the past month most of my tests are below 120. I wish I’d learned about keto years ago. It is a very easy woe for me.

So true that it is a journey and most of it is invisible. Successes like yours give me hope.

So true. Thanks.

(Edith) #9

We like to say that keto is not just weight loss but healing as well. It could be that your body paused in the weight loss in order to spend some time on healing.

So true.

(Marianne) #11

Me, too. This is a great forum. I’m always interested in the “scientific” responses received to questions. Congratulations on your 83 lbs. I bet you feel terrific.

(Marianne) #12

Last time I had mine checked, it was around 100. I was confused because I am full carnivore (and have been 1.5 years), so I don’t consume any carbs (sugar). @PaulL explained it well. We require blood sugar metabolically and it is present any time we eat. I gathered too low is not a good thing, and eating as healthy as we are, 100 is not a “bad” number. Almost like cholesterol - it can be “high” by conventional standards, but with ketoers, these numbers cannot be defined conventionally. I feel great about it and don’t sweat it at all.

I will be thrilled when I get an A1c equating to a blood sugar of 100.
Last night, I had a dinner that was higher in carbs than my usual meals. I learned two things: 1) My meter isn’t broken. 2) If I up my carbs even a little my glucose spikes well into diabetic range.

For brunch today, I had eggs and bacon. Two hours later my reading was 101. I feel like I’m on happy juice.