Some reflections on my not so Critical, yet critical, thinking

(Tom Seest) #1

We often get upset with and have a bad attitude towards medical professionals because they are so dogmatic and fixed in their positions regarding diet and nutrition, pharmaceutical therapies and more invasive medical therapies and treatments. We claim that they don’t follow or understand the results of the latest studies, trials, etc. and should be more open-minded to the latest science. While I agree that this is the case with many of them, I must be careful to be certain that I avoid doing the exact same thing. Yes, I’ve managed to reverse disease states of the heart that they had labeled as irreversible. Yes, I have had some success based on my own interpretation of the latest science, and following my intuition. Yes, I’ve helped others have similar success in some of the same things that I’ve done. But, do I really know that what worked for me will work for others? I think it will…I hope it will…But, if I’m being honest, I really don’t know that it will…I feel like my techniques and strategies involved less physical and financial risks, but did they really? I really don’t know…I believe that my methods were better and involved less risk, but I really don’t know that for certain…In any case, I feel it is important to understand that we all face different financial circumstances, physical circumstances and emotional circumstances and this may lead us down different treatment paths. I respect that and look forward to reading the forthcoming chapters in the story of all our individual journeys to better health…I respect each one of you and trust that you will make the best decisions you can based on your understanding of your circumstances, science, medical history, financial circumstances, daily stresses, and can only offer hope, guidance if requested, and the story of what has worked for me and what has not. In any case, let’s give each other and the medical professionals a break from time to time.

(Susan) #2

As much as I really like my doctor that has been our family doctor now for 21 years, I have not gone to him since beginning Keto because I feel he will not approve and not even notice the 52 pounds I have lost yet. When I am down another 100 or so pounds, I will then make an appointment for a complete check up and hopefully he will be impressed.

I agree with you though that we all have our way that works for us, and can other offer suggestions to others what has worked for us, and we all have our own Keto journey =).

('Jackie P') #3

Around January this year I went to my Dr. I had been a year earlier feeling terrible, I had some fairly vague but distressing symptoms, I had put on 15lbs for, seemingly, no reason. I was actually trying to be healthier. Eating plenty of wholegrains and pulses blah blah blah. I could see his look of ‘yeah right, who are you trying to kid’ , but he gave me loads of lab tests, including cancer markers. Everything was pretty normal really.
I stumbled on Keto while looking at gluten intolerance. The rest is history.
I went to the Dr in January as I said. I don’t like being smug (well yes, I do actually :no_mouth:), but I really enjoyed it. I went in 3 stone lighter and said " I have come to tell you I am feeling really well and I have taken myself off all my blood pressure medications (3), my Omeprazole and Statin". When he asked what I had done I just said " I have taken all sugars, grains and starches out of my diet and I feel so much better ". I didn’t mention Keto and I didn’t ask for any tests. As I walked out I heard him muttering. “No sugars no starches” in a kind of bemused way :blush:.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

You confused his falsely educated mind!

@tdseest Dogma is a bad thing when you’re wrong. Truth isn’t dogma, it’s fact. Will KETO fix everything? No… but most health issues seem to improve for most people. I would talk up trying KETO before I straight out recommended medical treatments and drugs…”Let food be thy medicine”. :cowboy_hat_face:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

Tom, I really like this post. It’s a great reminder that we’re all living an individual and unique life. Lately I’m making changes and still trying to figure out what I need right now. And I’m prepared for what I need a year from now to be a completely different thing. Keeping an open mind seems to be the most comfortable way to exist (for me). Thanks for posting!

(Eleanor ) #6

I am blessed because my primary Dr is on the Keto lifestyle too. He says I’m doing well with the diet. So YAY :grinning:

That is a blessing! So many are blinded by the prevailing dogma. I was fortunate to find a NP who is cool with Keto as well.

:+1:
I’ve had to change directions a few times in life. It’s so much easier when you always allow yourself the understanding that you don’t know everything.

(back and doublin' down) #9

Very well stated! My PCP was aghast (as was the rest of the medical clinic where I worked at the time) when I started keto. 18 months later, my PCP has dabbled with keto herself (for both mental well being and to steady her weight) I recall, after watching yet another pharmaceutical rep give a pitch for their latest insulin injecting gizmo, a conversation with the MD about talking nutrition first. Her reply was yes, diet would fix it, but she had no faith that her patients would or could follow through with the regime of a LCHF diet and it wouldn’t be safe to recommend something instead of the medications. Now that I’m two years in this community and witnessing the crippling effects of poverty, lack of education, and few to model healthier smarter food buying (and the limited availability of affordable proteins), her statement makes more sense.

I do have the occasional client who will say “what else can I do?” and we have that conversation about researching alternative nutrition paths. I’m not a registered dietician, so saying “keto” would technically be beyond my scope of practice. I can suggest resources for information for them to make up their own mind. I’ve had several clients move to keto, and find they are better able to manage their mental health symptoms, lose weight, feel better. Seeing those changes gives them confidence to make other changes, and the effects are exponential.