Sockeye salmon

I basically do one meal a day though I snack a little at night, sometimes on avocado. I was doing canned mackerel because it was higher in fat and calories, but I’m getting extremely bloated on it (don’t know if this has anything to do with it but each can has 330mg salt) and starting to feel depression, and my skin is getting bad. I’m getting a mercury test soon. My vitamin A retinol is still on the low side which is also why I think the sockeye might be good. How can I comfortably get enough calories in my meal though without making my reflux too bad?

I eat an avocado a day, though I don’t think I do well with it as far as bloating, but I eat it anyway because I think it contains electrolytes I need. I don’t eat dairy, but I will eat a tablespoon of butter.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #2

Heavy metals are definitely something to think about.

This may or may not be relevant but I, personally, have an extremely severe histamine intolerance so my body gets inflamed if I so much as look at inflammatory foods. Much as I love fish, I only eat it sparingly because the canned stuff accrues a lot of histamines. Any meat does that is not fresh and, right now, I can’t afford fresh. (sigh)

Symptoms of histamine intolerance can include:

Digestive tract

• Diarrhoea
  • Diarrhoea alternating with normal motions (Irritable Bowel Syndrome – IBS)
  • Chronic constipation
  • Flatulence and feeling of fullness
  • Stomach cramps
  • Stomach ache
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting

Symptoms affecting head and face

• Headaches, similar to migraine
  • Runny nose and weepy eyes, although there is no clinical sign of allergies
  • Fits of dizziness
  • Extreme tiredness, feeling knocked out
  • Quinke Oedema (swellings mostly appearing around eyes and lips, sometimes in the area of the throat)
  • Flushing of face and/or chest

Skin problems

• Skin rashes, itchiness
  • Eczema,
  • Urticaria
  • Acne (pimples)

Chest area

• Asthma
  • Cardiac arrhythmia, such as a fast beating or irregular heart beat

Women

• Dysmenorrhoea (severe period pains)
  • HIT symptoms go away during pregnancy and return after birth of child

Other symptoms

• Chills and shivers
  • Low blood pressure
  • Circulatory collapse
  • Sudden psychological changes (e.g. aggressiveness, inattentiveness, lack of concentration)
  • Sleep disorder

Thanks for all that information. Do you think the cans themselves are toxic over time?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

I doubt it, unless you plan on stocking them in some larder for years. Most people barely notice the histamine I mentioned, it’s just that some of us are unlucky enough to be super sensitive.