Smoked chicken tonight

I smoked a couple birds tonight

Turned out juicy, tasty with crispy skin.

(Bunny) #3

…A Work of Art! A Masterpiece! Now I’m hungry darn it!

beautiful pic of great chicken on your smoker!!

(Tracy) #5

I bought an electric wood smoker and smoked for the first time last week. I did a whole chicken and the skin was really tough and I couldn’t even chew through it. The meat was juicy and delicious. Any advice?

Cooking temp? Prep?

(Tracy) #7

I did 250 for 2 hours, and to prep it all I did was pat it dry with paper towels. The seasoning was really basic, just salt, pepper, paprika and a touch of garlic powder.

I like to dry brine first. Dry, Salt and leave in fridge for 4 hours Make sure you have some room so they don’t touch anything. I treat raw chicken like kryptonite

Then I do the dry rub. I cook in a smoker but at 325F till the chicken breast is maybe 158 or so. I am targeting 160 in the breasts to be safe but no higher. 170 in the dark meat but that’s not a problem if you get 160. I might open up the temp a bit higher towards the end to crisp up the skin.

Sometimes I globe up and put the rub BETWEEN the skin and meat. Been known to butter the skin at the beginning of cooking. Those two tricks help with crispy skin. That said, fresh chickens (not previously frozen) do better… for me. 250 is probably not enough t crisp the skin and always cook to an internal temp and not to time

Glove up

(Tracy) #10

I didn’t think to dry the skin out. When I roast turkey I always leave it open in the fridge, uncovered so the skin can dry. I’m paranoid too with raw meat. I’ll give this method a try. Thanks for the info.