Since going keto, I've had quite a few people telling me how it isn't long term possible

(John) #21

If I’m still alive and at or under my goal weight when I turn 91, I’mma have some donuts or sugar cookies, dammit! If I can get someone to smuggle them into the nursing home.

(Doug) #22

It’s rather funny - biologically and evolutionarily, it’s really the modern year-round availability of vast amounts of carbohydrates that is out of place. We’re not made to eat so much of it so often - and we see the health and obesity problems and concerns stemming from it now.

(Bob M) #23

I’m 5 years in, keto most of that, but paleo some of it. And I will eat high carb foods on occasion.

(KetoQ) #24

Hi Paul –

I’d be interested in hearing more about your friends’ personal experience with keto and how its not possible long term.

I’ve been doing low carb/keto since May, with minimal disruptions maintaining it – except for a brief trip for a birthday party and a little pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving – and a few frozen margaritas along the way. Aside from that, from my personal experience, it has been relatively easy to maintain, especially since I’ve experienced such great weight loss results.

I don’t want to go back to where I was 6 months ago. I feel so much better about myself. Its not worth a few beers and pizza and DQ.

Now “easy” is a relative word. You have to be diligent when there are temptations like parties and holidays. You have to be strategic about eating out. You have to be mindful and aware of what you’re eating. It helps to be more active.

What isn’t possible is eating low fat/high carb. I’ve had a heart attack and high blood pressure trying to eat low fat or standard American diet. That isn’t sustainable. It is killing people.

That’s my experience. Add your personal experience. Read these forums and educate yourself and make a choice how you want to live.

Good luck and good health,
Q

(mole person) #25

My husband, just out of curiosity for what she’d say, asked our GP last visit what she thought of a ketogenic diet. Here was the dialog that followed virtually to the word:

GP: “And what kind of ketogenic diet would that be?”

Husband: “A low-carb high-fat diet.”

GP: “Well, a high-fat diet will clog your arteries, but you can do a low-carb diet without high fat.”

GP: “But really, there is nothing healthier than the Vegan diet. You should look into that!”

:roll_eyes:

Yes! that’s why references to keto (or primal or paleo) as “fad” always cracks me up.

Look around you, folks (not you folks, of course :slight_smile: but the ones who claim this isn’t a LT possibility): do you think that modern diets are actually how humans are evolved/designed to eat?!

(Kimstarr) #27

Here is the tag line for Forks Over Knives

Learn to cook the FOK way.

Master the essential skills and techniques to create delicious oil-free, plant-based meals at home. Spots are limited.

He’s selling being a vegan and feels he must discredit Keto.

My GP tried to peddle barley grass as the one and only food source anyone could ever need! Hmm, really, no thanks.

I’ve worked with doctors for 10 years, they are human, people imagine they are objective, they are subjective along with the rest of humanity. Personal believes, whims, hobby horses and whatever does cloud judgement. (And let’s not even get into big Pharma’s inducements, would you like a statin pill to go with your statin pill?)

Some can be brilliant in some ways and complete dopes in other ways.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Well, FOK him, then. :grin:

(paul) #30

Food - seems there is no limit to the amount of people willing to tell people what to do about it.

Conflating not eating meat with saving the environment to me is now just getting crazy.
Sure, cutting down the amazon to graze cattle not a good idea, but local ruminants certainly a great way for efficient healthy clean food.

(Running from stupidity) #31

Very droll title on that figure there :slight_smile:

(paul) #32

its from the former dietician (kicked out of Dieticians association of Australia) who introduced me to keto

(Brian) #33

I can’t believe I actually wasted the time to read that drivel. Yup, there’s a doctor I don’t EVER want to see in real life.

When I saw the “forks over knives”, I should have known exactly what the article was about and how skewed it would be. And skewed it was. It was almost as though every statement they made, I knew to be false when looking at my own personal experience. And then I thought about the experiences of the hundreds of people here who have said the same by sharing their experiences. Yes, there are a few that keto doesn’t work well for. I happen to think that’s probably less than 20% of the population. Where do I get that number? From statements I’ve heard from multiple sources that have said that something close to 80% of people in the US are diabetic, prediabetic, or will be at some point in the future. Those would seem to be people that a keto diet would be well suited for, at least to my primitive way of thinking.

No way I would put any faith in anything that article was spouting. I’ve lived otherwise and I don’t wanna go back. If forced to eat like this guy suggests, I can’t imagine living all that long. He probably loves McDougall… which is where I came from, with a BMI of like 42 and set up nicely for a heart attack or stroke, not to mention diabetes.

I’m only a newbie compared to some of you as I’ve only been keto for 15 months or so. But keto has been very good to me. Never even really had the keto flu. But a whole lot of other stuff got SO much better. No need to run from keto or be scared off by such drivel. Maybe there are so many detractors because keto seems to be working so well for so many. After all, if people aren’t sick, health care workers don’t make as much money.

(Cindy) #34

I hate when people use “selective science” to argue a point. As in, they just pick and choose what they want to focus on. For example, this article makes a big deal about the mutation seen in Inuits and other “cold climate” populations…saying that this mutation was the result of a high fat, low carb diet and increases mortality rates. But that’s not actually what the article says. In fact, it says

“The deleterious effect of the mutation might be explained by a change from the traditional diet to a more carbohydrate-based one or by recent cultural shifts and environmental stressors such as fasting and pathogens.”

As in, the mutation was probably beneficial UNTIL they switched to eating higher carb amounts.

And then, they cited another abstract " Low-Carbohydrate Diets and All-Cause Mortality: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies" to state that low carb diets show a higher risk of death. But a meta-analysis is just crunching numbers from OTHER studies and this particular one doesn’t take into consideration a slew of other factors. Such as, why were those particular individuals transitioning to a low carb diet? If it was in response to T2D or other health issues, then a higher mortality rate could easily be due to those other factors.

I stopped reading after that. Couldn’t handle the pseudo-science.

(Bob M) #35

Meta-analyses are garbage for the most part. Here’s how you do one. Decide what you want your results to be. Determine from there what your inclusion criteria should be to get the results you want. Select those studies that meet your inclusion criteria. If necessary, adjust your criteria. Repeat until you get the results you want.

Interesting, because where ever the modern “Standard American Diet” (S.A.D) goes obesity, diabetes and modern woes follow. Maybe that is the diet which is not sustainable long term?

But, of course, that does not automatically mean keto is sustainable?

All going keto has meant for me is cutting bread, rice and pasta - and eating decent amounts vegetables. Instead of those carbs I now have more vegetables. Surely nobody except the grain industry and brown sugary drink makers can complain about that.

I also cut margarine and industrial machine oil (relabelled with some fancy healthy sounding names) and instead of them I have: olive oil, butter and avocado. Talking about labels, they seem to do that a lot, here is a box of sugar (they call it cereal) - with added omega-3 so now it must be good.

Yes I reckon keto is sustainable (better be ‘cause the other stuff isn’t).

(Matthew) #37

I mentioned the following in my own thread re Keto long term:

'I just finished watching Dr Berg’s transmission live answering caller’s questions. He mentioned to one caller who had just achieved their optimum weight, that they could now go back to a regular healthy diet. He said essentially that their body had fixed itself and it could now handle the transition off Keto. Although he mentioned to be mindful of keeping the carb intake relatively low. Then that made me ponder what am I doing staying on Keto and intermittent fasting?
Jennifer TurtonThen, fortunately I saw this video presentation by recent Masters graduate (Nutrition & Dietetics) Jessica Turton discussing ‘Evidence-Based Practice: Low-Carbohydrate Diets’. That locked me in for the long run to curb the onset of cardiovascular disease and diabetes and a whole host of other serious illnesses. Another wonderful scientific based presentation on low carb diets which I highly recommend.

Jessica Turton – ‘Evidence-Based Practice: Low-Carbohydrate Diets’

(Adrianna) #38

Not to mention they (general physicians) don’t actually study nutrition, so they’ve taught themselves along the way (if they’ve bothered) and are going about things in a similar way as we are, maybe (likely?) even less in depth. A family friend (also a GP) pointed this out to me when I asked questions and he had no answers, he knew very little about what I’d been asking.

Yep. And I had a craving for blueberries the other night. I indulged in a whole cup, along with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It was so yum, and my body was like, “thanks”! No further cravings. My net carbs for the day was 23g. My blood sugar stayed below 95. Ketones stayed in the 1.9 to 2.5 range, even into the next day.

(Vladaar Malane) #40

I don’t have the science for you, but can tell you this is the only thing I found long term possible for me. Every other diet I tried always worked for a maybe a month then I gained that weight back and some extra afterwards.