Silent Reflux (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux) or something else?

(Denise) #1

…allergies, histamine intolerance, or what? I’m really struggling with something I’ve had issues with for the last, 8 years. I want to get @VirginiaEdie in on this and hope she’ll see it and chime in.

I was diagnosed with acid reflux (possibly LPR or some call Silent Reflux). I have never had any tests for specifically LPR, but I was give the Barrium swallow and it showed clearly I was refluxing. This I handled by not eating within 3 hours of laying down, but the Upper GI I think it was called (x-ray??) kept me upright so I was refluxing while being upright but I didn’t feel it at all. That’s where the term Silent Reflux comes from.

So’s not to make this so long no one wants to read it I am trying to take care of it myself. The test was done before I started Keto btw. I still have awful mucus in my throat 24/7 that calms down only briefly. I’ll put a link to an article from Johns Hopkins that only mentioned one time mucus buildup in the pancreas which would cause a deficiency in digestive enzymes.

Is there anyone at all out there that had constant “glue” in their throat, couldn’t tell exactly where it was being produced (sinuses, back of throat area, or possibly pancreas or other organs)?

If anyone has ever had to wean off of a medication, I know some of my symptoms could be because of that but nevertheless I am trying to find more permanent fix, without a drug. I have ordered some highly rated DAO to block histamine that I eat during meals on keto, which is very little. I’ve read red meat can cause it is some folks, but I’ve had this long before I started keto and so much red meat.

Keto has evidently made it better than it was but I’m not out of the woods yet. I’ve seen a couple older threads but thought I’d try a new one. John Hopkins mention “not many studies” or “none” on this so I’m on my own except for folks that might share in the issue. I have a long list of symptoms that match Histamine Intolerance, but won’t list them now, later if I get some responses :wink: Denise PS my voice is like Dr. Berg imitates at start of his video, but I cannot cough to fix it or normal clearing of the throat.

So sorry, it turned out long :frowning:

Dr. Berg Video

John Hopkins article

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Mucus from internal organs sounds a bit weird, to me. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

However, I have always had post-nasal drip, since early childhood, in fact. I think it’s better on keto, but I couldn’t swear to that. The other main source of mucus in my life is what is brought up from my lungs. It is caused by asthma and allergies, and it varies from year to year with the pollen count and other atmospheric particulates. In a good year, I have none. In a year like this, I am continually bringing up phlegm, even with using my pulmonary inhaler and taking an antihistamine and decongestant.

(Bob) #3

I don’t have the time to watch the Dr. Berg video, but I did glance over the John Hopkins article. It said…

Many of them need PERT because their pancreas develops mucus and, over time, scar tissue. So it can’t release the enzymes as it should,

Based on that statement, I don’t think mucus from the pancreas is going to make it’s way to your throat. I am curious what Dr. Berg has to say.

Dr. Berry’s recommendation for those who suffer from acid reflux is to eat a proper diet (keto-carnivore) and not to eat within 4 hours of bedtime. He also recommends taking some bricks and elevating the head of the bed so you are laying at a light incline. This way, you have gravity working for you.

(Denise) #4

this is pretty much why I don’t believe it is being produced in the Pancreas bob, more likely in my sinuses as I can feel it there, but mainly pnd, very little runny nose. When I look in the mirror with flashlight, I see it coming down both sides of throat, none in the middle.

You’re right Paul, it is weird but I’ve read enough to know it’s real, after reading another article, or maybe it was a video as well. We have mucus in all our digestive organs, supposed to be there. But an over abundance of it is what I believe they call Histamine Intolerance. Sort of like our Insulin Resistance only it can be due to genetics, or foods, or lack of digestive enzymes.

(Denise) #5

Well I’m glad it doesn’t sound too bad for you @PaulL but for me, I have to find the answer, even if I have to travel 300 miles to go to an allergist! But I am hoping maybe these digestive enzymes (DAO) might help me.

(Bob) #6

I would lean towards the sinuses also. Allergies or irritants of some kind it probably at issue here. Dust, pollen, pet hair, perfume, deoderant, etc. You could also pursue the dietary route by doing an elimination diet (Paul and I would recommend carnivore or lion diet) and see if it clears up. If it does, then you’ve narrowed it down you your favorite side dish :smiley:

(Denise) #7

Hi Bob, there is a lot of dust here in my apartment due to older carpet, way older, no pets, plenty of pollen on the coast year-round.

I keep my filters changed regularly in my Air Purifier, sleep with my head raised when it get real bad, seems to help, but keeping hydrated with water helps too.

I just read this and am glad I’m going to try these enzymes, I bought what I think are the best of the DOA, and here’s another article on that I thought was interesting. Forgot to mention sort of runny eyes some of the time. Another reason I think it’s all in my “head” not my digestive parts :slight_smile:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dao-supplement

(KM) #8

Sides … Your eustacian tubes (ears) empty into your throat at the sides. Do you have any ear issues?

(Denise) #9

Yes @kib1, my hearing is going bad but it’s weird because if I sort of yawn (flex my jaw) it feels like it clears for just a second or two. I also have 24/7 tinnitus which I’ve adapted to but would love it to be gone. Both issues happened about the same time as the pnd thing. I know it’s in my sinuses, pretty sure it isn’t my stomach at all, but I think trying the DAO, only for a month, got the 30 day supply although I understand I have to take it before any meal to see if it makes a difference.

So sorry I didn’t get the alert for your reply in my email. My notifications for that aren’t working.

(KM) #10

Neither are mine.

(Denise) #11

I’d really like to get them because I’m not big on leaving “tabs” open in my browser. Maybe someone will chime in that is getting their email alerts, and we could compare our settings to their’s :wink:

Btw @kib1, I’m getting that DOA today from Amazon, and I’ll post back here after I see how that goes. I am pretty certain I don’t have LPR, this is almost definitely coming from my sinuses. I could go through the scope thing with the doctors but not willing to travel to some allergist, at least I’m not willing until I explore every other option in finding out :wink:

(KM) #12

Hope I’m not outing you, I think you’re on a Facebook group of mine. Small world! Are you still traveling?

(KM) #13

I get to this forum by following the last alert in my email, from ctviggen, Bob M, to “visit topic”. It’s from Nov. 30.

(Denise) #14

I haven’t literally traveled but once in the last 8 years, and that was to Apache Junction to visit a girlfriend I ran across on FB :wink: Although I may have joined a group in the past about traveling as I still have my gypsy spirit, and with improvements to my health/energy, I may do some more :wink:

Sounds like you have already tried this but an older friend went Gluten Free a few years ago because she was diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus. She claimed it helped. Please keep in mind that GF and keto are not the same. For example in certain brands of soy sauce (which people use during Keto) there are traces of wheat. I find this to be true as well. When I have wheat (in real amounts not traces) I do end up with reflux. I normally do not have reflux it or at least not so it is noticeable or annoying.

My nose tends to be a little congested in general, my ears crackle quite a bit and I do cough to clear my throat and I have been snoring my whole life even when I was much thinner but honestly not something that bothers me enough to be concerned

(Denise) #16

Thank you for the info @Saphire, I can’t eat breads and Soy anything including Soysauce, because of being a T2 Diabetic. So your info is good to know because I’ll check my other foods and see if there is any gluten in them. Mostly I eat fats and meat, but I honestly didn’t know GF was possibly still an issue for me :slight_smile: Denise

(Connie ) #17

I was diagnosed with silent reflux also had glue in throat always felt like I needed to swallow. I found that using nasal rinse (neti pot) and IF has helped to the point that I no longer have issues of any kind. I also use to get sinus infections several times a year. I use the nasal rinse any time I start having any issues. And now it has been years without infections and no more constant swallowing.

(Edith) #18

Hi @Goldengirl52, how is your troubleshooting going?

(Denise) #19

I never got notified on this, so sorry @VirginiaEdie

Mine is histamine, fairly certain. I have lowered my foods that were high in histamine, and it’s better. Also it’s not seasonal, it’s year-round, and quite honestly, I have to say I am eliminating, slowly, the benzo Clonazepam has also “very” possibly had to do with my symptoms lessening as well.

This is just my experience, but my all-around health is so much better. I eliminated spinach, which is said to be high in histamine, and my cheese of choice is Feta now, as pure/unprocessed as I can get.

I no longer have to do “rescue” sinus irrigations, and some mornings, I do have enough drainage that causes my voice to have issues. So it’s not gone by any means, but not issues so bad I can’t sleep, and don’t have those awful “snores” that would wake me up :face_with_raised_eyebrow::joy:

(Robin) #20

Wow, Denise… you were able to get off clonazepam? If so, I am impressed. I’m not there yet.