Sick

(Felicity ) #1

Hi again guys. I’m now 3 weeks into this WOE and going well.
I woke last night with a bad headache, fever, chills and vomiting. Today it’s just the fever and seriously bad headache. All day I have wanted an orange or piece of toast, I havn’t given in, but I’m hungry and the thought of fat or meat is making my tummy flip. Any suggestions.
Also, I am badly constipated, I can feel the pressure all the way up under my ribcage. I have had a lot of trouble doing number 2’s since starting keto. I think it’s because before this WOE I ate a lot of fruit and veg. Yes I’m drinking plenty of water.
Any help would be largely appreciated as I’m pretty miserable at the moment.

(Laurel Harrington) #2

I am new to keto also but since I’m dealing with similar issues, I can tell you what is helping me:

1. Chicken (I like having the deli-sliced on hand for when I need something quick. It has one or two carbs so just beware). I certainly don’t want to eat it when I’m feeling the nausea but so far, I have felt better every time after eating it.
  2. A half cup of HWC with stevia
  3. (This one is proving most vital) Green leafy veggies at least once a day

It sounds like you might be too sick for 2 & 3 but maybe they will give you ideas?
I still have a lot to learn so IDK if it’s important but having just started the diet plus running a fever, have you let your PCP know?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The constipation is probably from not eating enough salt. Now that you’re not eating carbohydrate, your body is no longer retaining water and sodium, so you need to keep up your intake. A good way to do this is to drink a cup of broth twice a day. It’s very easy to make your own bone broth, but a commercial preparation will do as well (keep an eye out for added sugars, however, and don’t use low-salt stock cubes, lol!).

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

I’m not sure if your sick sick or Keto sick. The first 3.5 weeks for me Keto flu kept coming back every time I thought I was past it.
And even now after I run.
I didn’t want to eat anything but a saltine cracker, but I didn’t.

Just try some salt and see if it helps.
If not, you are sick sick.
But if you start to feel better, it’s your electrolytes.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #5

Bone Broth. Easily digestible, salt helps with bowel movements and the minerals are the best thing to replenish your electrolytes.
Also you can add anything anti inflammatory like ginger (good to fight nausea) or tumeric to help fight whatever bug you might have caught.

(Terence Dean) #6

Beer is great for constipation, cleans me out every time and I get to enjoy a beer while I’m waiting. :stuck_out_tongue: