Shoulder Surgery Complete

recovery
shoulder
bonespurs
orthoscopic
surgery

(Patrick Sullivan (KetoBJJ)) #1

17 November at 0700…or 7:00 am for our Non-Military folks… I had shoulder surgery. This should be an interesting time being Keto for two and half years. The fun part of this surgery was that it was in the middle of the November Zorn Fast. lol. So, post-surgery I was given the option of fully sugared up sodas or water to drink. So, I had water to drink and a packet of cheese crackers. lol I gave those to my daughter and went for a more keto option at a Grill Cafe down the street after being discharged.

So, let me elaborate on how this happened. In May of 2016 I was on tour with Raw Materiel. It was my Rock Band here in the Army Materiel Command Band. I was carrying sound gear into the Harrisburg Senator’s Stadium when my right shoulder decided to have a loud and painful pop. So, I switched to the other arm in order to continue the mission.
Upon returning home, I made an appointment with my doctor and immediately started with Physical Therapy. After eight months of Physical Therapy, my shoulder was not getting any better…in fact it was worse. I stopped doing those appointments and after a few months I went back to my doctor to see about other options. I was referred to Orthopaedics. X-rays, MRIs, and Ultrasounds occurred. This determined that my collarbone was permanently out of place which is causing the reduced range of motion accompanied with plenty of pain and soreness. Also, all of this uncovered that I had bone spurs on the inside of my shoulder joint.
We started with a Steroid Injection in the right shoulder to reduce the inflammation then went to the surgical option. Three bone spurs and 18 mm of collarbone were cut out during my surgery.

I do have a question though.
Has anyone taken Percocet while on Keto? This is my first time taking it since this lifestyle began.

I definitely wanted to share my experience with my fellow Ketonians as I heal. Today is the first day after surgery and my shoulder is very sore…especially on the top where the 18 mm of bone was removed. The pain is not unbearable though.

Lets see the power of ketones in the healing process. Less inflammation I am betting.

(VLC.MD) #2

Try alot of icing to keep post surgical inflammation down.
And try to avoid percocet.
Nasty stuff.

(Patrick Sullivan (KetoBJJ)) #3

I have taken it years ago after a calf surgery. I ended up with a nasty run of hiccups. For weeks…nothing but hiccups that was accompanied by acid reflux and headaches. I had to ditch the stuff.
I do have a machine for icing. It is much like those badass Game Ready Ice Pack Machines…Just a different brand.

So, I will Ice often and only take the Percocet if absolutely needed. Thanks!

Sorry about your injury, but glad you finally found the cause and had it repaired. I’m surprised it took so long for you to get imaging especially if the therapy was not helping/ exacerbating the pain. I had a rotator cuff repair in June and plan to return to work in a few weeks. I definitely recommend icing as much as possible and take the narcotics if you need them. I took Percocet alternating with Naproxen Sodium for the first week and then stopped the Percocet as the pain was tolerable. Colace and coconut oil did the trick for me to prevent any narco related constipation. Best of luck with your recovery!

(Patrick Sullivan (KetoBJJ)) #5

Part of the long drawn out timeline is the Military healthcare.
I like the idea of alternating. Thanks.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Not while on keto, no, but you’re better off moving to straight acetaminophen or to ibuprofen as soon as you can. They may not want the inflammation reduced just yet, so if the surgeon says acetaminophen for now, listen to her. A lot of people on these forums report that they react much more strongly to alcohol in ketosis, and the same may apply to the oxycodone in the Percocet, as well. So you may be able to keep the dose of Percocet low. That will help with both the constipation from the oxycodone and possible liver problems from the acetaminophen.

On balance, your recovery should be easier on keto than off it. I broke my left shoulder and elbow a year and a half ago; the surgery was brutal (one of the residents and I looked at the x-rays together; I think we counted 37 screws in the shoulder alone). They didn’t actually give me Percocet in hospital and rehab; instead they gave me oxycodone and acetaminophen separately, for better control.

I went keto this year (sometime in April) and had the greatest amount of recovery in that arm since then. I don’t believe it was coincidence. The arm is still quite sore, especially if I use it a lot, but now it’s the soreness/stiffness of heavy use, not the pain of recovery from trauma.

Just keto on as best you can, and get well soon.

(Patrick Sullivan (KetoBJJ)) #7

This is the area.