Should I take electrolytes ok keto?

(Billy Stephens) #1

Should I take electrolytes daily or just if I fast? Should I be taking any other supplements? What do yall take? What kind of electrolytes? A propel water pack?

It’s quite individual. Many people supplement even sodium. I never do it, not even if I fast for 1-2 days as I don’t seem to need it (if I would feel dizzy or did more than 3 days long fasts, I would eat some salt. I find salty water super gross and super salty anyway so no way I would drink that but I can eat salt just fine). I had a few magnesium pills per month in the past on keto as I had cramps without that (as my food contained too little magnesium and I couldn’t change that as I don’t eat food I dislike or don’t want for some other reason) but now I am fine as long as I eat enough meat and by default avoid plants (I ate no meat on my old keto). So it’s individual and it obviously matters a lot how you eat.

But there are electrolyte drink recipes, probably the others can give you a link if you need it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

We urge people to pay attention somewhat to their salt intake, because the normal rate of excreting sodium, which our kidneys return to when we go keto, is a bit higher than it is when we are messing up our kidneys with too much glucose and insulin.

But most people can get by without supplementing with other electrolytes, because the regulation of sodium is interlinked with the regulation of magnesium and potassium (and calcium, as well). So, getting the salt right usually means that the other minerals also stay properly in line. But some people do need to supplement, for various reasons.

The symptoms of low sodium are headache, constipation, lightheadedness, and so forth. The symptoms of low magnesium usually include cramping. Be careful with potassium, because if it gets too low (hypokalcaemia) or too high (hyperkalcaemia), the consequences can be severe, even deadly. Be sure to drink to thirst—you don’t need as much liquid as the sports drink manufacturers claim, but you don’t want to be dehydrated, either.

A cup of bone broth will not break your fast, if you feel you need it.