Should children with type 2 diabetes get a gastric op?

conversationstarters

(Simon Hinton) #1

I saw this article today on the BBC website and it just made me so frustrated and angry. One, the fact that kids are in this position is upsetting, but the fact that this can be dealt with through diet and education is what makes this worse. Performing surgery on kids and medicating them is just treating the symptoms, it’s not dealing with the cause. I just want to shout it from the rooftops that there is another way. How can we make a difference???

The whole thing makes me angry. The dietrary guidelines, the food companies, the politics behind it all!!!

Doctors now recommending children get weight loss surgery
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Diet and education would require an admission that the last 50 years of nutritional guidelines were a big fat lie. Not going to happen. It’s a lot easier to say “we’ll remove 3/4 of your stomach to force you to stop being such a pig. You’re the problem, not us.”

(Jack Bennett) #3

“All you have to do is lower the fat in your diet to 20%, eat a reasonable amount, exercise moderately, and the weight will drop off. If you can’t do a simple thing like that then we may need to resort to surgery…”

:angry::rage::angry::rage:

(Susan) #4

This makes me so sad that people would even consider having surgery like this on children =(. Get them on Keto, or at least get rid of all the sugars in their diets and get them on low carb, and just help them get the weight off naturally.

Both of my hubby and I are over weight and have been for ages (well I have been slimmer many times with all my ridiculous yo-yo dieting, especially in 2002-2003 when I lost over 100 pounds --that I of course regained!) but all five of our children are slim -go figure-- our eldest gained some weight when he was controlling his own foods more, and moved out, and got married, etc. He is now very slim and looks awesome, which he also decided to do on his own. I just want to cry when I think of a child having any surgery, let alone one like this, where alternatives exist, (or please don’t let the children get in this state to begin with).

(Simon Hinton) #5

I can understand how the kids get int this situation with the environment we live in with processed foods everywhere and sugar everywhere. Sugar is so addictive, and processed food so cheap and readily available. The science is out there though that low carb/ keto works and can reverse t2 diabetes.

How do we get this mainstream?

(Jack Bennett) #6

Talking about our experiences, sharing what we know, sharing podcasts like 2KD and related ones. It’s getting bigger and bigger as people lose weight, resolve diabetes and metabolic syndrome, improve biomarkers, etc.

(Rebecca ) #7

That’s awful! How could anyone possibly think this is an answer to this problem??:rage:

My friend tries very hard to teach her two kiddos about food and what to eat. She cooks a ketoish/paleo diet and she hopes that that will be enough. She can’t change the meals in their school, only if they bring food with the declaration on it, ie processed food from the stores, grandparents won’t listen… I must be very tough for parents who know better and even tougher for those who don’t. :frowning:

(Susan) #9

Here we pack the kids lunches and they take them to school, our schools don’t have cafeterias until high school -when they are 14+ and even then some kids bring their lunches or come home for lunch if they live near their high schools. My kids always ate breakfast at home, then took their lunches in grade school and in high school they either packed a lunch or came home at lunch.

Even if kids are eating SAD and not Keto, when they are little the parents can still keep tabs on the children’s weight gains. This becomes much more difficult when they are teenagers ofcourse, but when they are younger, the parents have much more control in how much the children are eating.

(Sibley Honeybee) #10

It astounds me that they would even consider diet surgery in children. Many people have difficulty with malabsorption after gastric bypass so why would we want to take that risk when children aren’t even fully mature and done growing? Surgery doesn’t solve them being bombarded with sugar and starch everywhere they turn and if they don’t adhere to the protein rich diet that is required after surgery they may end up back in the hospital with severe complications. Are most children ready for that forced responsibility? If we are even considering such a life-changing decision in the lives of these children then it is definitely time for keto to become more mainstream to the point where doctors at least offer it as an alternative to surgery when talking to these families.

(Kay) #11

Exactly this! If no one fixed the child’s diet before resorting to surgery, why would it be different after? This is horrifying to me.

It looks like a business model in the epoch of beancounters running hospitals and medical services.

Get them while they’re young. Start them early on cereals and soft drinks etc. Brainwashed surgeons directed by business minded accountants, following other successful business models of big pharma, big farmer, and industrial food processors.

Sanctioned by the faceless men (they must be men) of guvverment advisory panels.

Ouch. I think I just cracked my pot.

stupid adults damage children. has been and always will be. so sad.
adults not willing to accept natural nutrition facts of what the food supply is coming to in this world. ugh.

no children should not have gastric bypass. horrifying!

(Jane Srygley) #14

I weighed over 300lbs for well over a decade and have been over 200lbs for 38 years. I’m a 5’3" female so obviously I haven’t achieved a “normal” weight yet. I was so, so tempted to do the surgery, but what always stopped me was knowing that I would have to exercise a LOT of self-control after I had the surgery in order to not gain it all back… and I knew it could ALL come back because I saw a woman go from over 400lbs, down to a normal weight and back up to over 400lbs. I’ve seen others get really big again as well. I decided that it made more sense to battle my demons on the front end… still battling :heart:

(Susan) #15

You got this Jane! You are a strong Keto woman, and you can do this with all of us cheering you on =).