Seeking Advice on Managing Cravings and Maintaining a Healthier Diet

(Chuck) #21

I gave up on keto because it just didn’t suit the way I was raised to eat. Growing up on a working farm we ate what we grew, meat from cattle, pork from pigs, and wild meat from animals we hunted, vegetables and fruit we grew and wild berries that were available in the woods in the area. We also fished the creeks, ponds, and rivers for the fish we could eat. My diary came from the cows we owned and took care of, chickens provided eggs and meat. My grandmother and mom bakes bread, pies, cakes and grandpa smoked meat and preserved meat the old fashioned way with salt.
I still get a lot of my meat, dairy, and produce from the local farmers.
I gave up on fasting because of my blood pressure, I monitor it multiple times a time and I noticed it was higher while fasting and would lower as soon as I had something to eat. My goal isn’t really what I weigh even though it is necessary to keep my weight under control for my goal of controlling my blood pressure naturally.
I am slowly seeing the benefit of eating to meet my body’s needs and to not listen to what anyone else says I should or shouldn’t eat. I am learning that my body does know best and I only have to listen to my body’s needs and requests.

Do you track your macros? Many people undereat, and doing that will absolutely cause hunger issues that make you crave stuff you shouldn’t. Also, nothing would set off a binge for me more than fasting, once a fast was over it’s was empty the fridge mode, like clockwork!

I strongly regret getting into fasting, I always felt fine while doing it, but as a whole in the end, it was all negatives for me. I lowered my metabolic rate, lost a ton of muscle, and had zero control of my appetite.

There’s a handful of things you can do to help hunger, just depends on what you’d be willing to do. Before I got my protein ice cream down to a science, I used to make something close, that was like an airy moose, usually chocolate, and even a normal sized bowl would make you feel like you ate 20lbs of food, good for buying yourself time, and tasted awesome. If you’re not anti-fiber, that helps you feel full, and there’s a medication for appetite that is nothing more than methylcellulose fiber and citric acid, which are but OTC supplements, pretty much foams up in your stomach and 30min before meals you can make yourself feel much fuller, on less. But if you’re under eating as a whole, that effect will still be limited.

Everything changes. What worked before may not work now. Stop fasting. Do not have high-carb food in your home. Nuts are ok, but do not overdo it.

(Alec) #25
  1. Don’t fast
  2. Eat more at meal times, make sure you are not restricting at meal times in any way. Eat til comfortably stuffed
  3. Eat more fat, preferably fatty meat
  4. Don’t buy nuts. Just don’t have them in the house
  5. Drink a salty electrolyte drink if you feel “snacky” (is it the nuts you are craving or the salt??)
  6. Be strong… don’t allow a rough patch to spoil your hard work.

(RK) #26

Thanks, Alec! Great advice and that is exactaly what I am doing now. I am on low carb since I first posted here. Started drinking more salt water with lemon :yum:. Upped protein and I have not had nuts since 5 days.
Hope it stays this way.

(RK) #27

I am grateful for all the advice given here. All the answers have helped me reevaluate things I have been doing/eating. I hope that with these changes, the weight will go down. I will report back here on my progress.

(B Creighton) #28

I’ve had very little to no cravings on keto. Right after Christmas I had some of the stuff given to me, but after the first two days when it was gone, I went back to keto, and actually, I have not been hungry at all. However, I am going back to my regular workouts, and eating lots of protein. In fact on Thurs, after my yogurt, egg & cheese breakfast, I kind of forced myself to have a lunch(I don’t usually eat lunch), and then I didn’t really want dinner… I just felt full all afternoon, when all I had for lunch was a protein smoothie… Ok admittedly it was very high in protein, but just not really hungry at all. Saturday, the same thing. The hemp milk and avocado had a little fat… I don’t necessarily recommend a lot of meat protein unless you are trying to build muscle, but with just a little fat all that protein is very satiating. I use Orgain protein powder, some whey isolate, some BCAAs, etc, but you could just go with pea protein, if you aren’t working out, and you can make yourself feel full in all likelihood. In fact I have trouble eating all my of my protein goal amounts… not sure of the advice for no nuts. I use them too… well pistachios, pecans, and almonds, which I mix with raw sunflower seeds… I have started adding hemp hearts as well.