Screaming in pain

(Brittany ) #1

I’ve never been one to get leg cramps that often. I’ve been doing keto for about 2 1/2 months now. Since doing I’ve got 2 really bad Charlie horses (leg cramps). Last night was the worse I woke up screaming in pain. My boyfriend thought someone was breaking in the house. The pain last for probably 10 minutes. My question is have any of you experience the same thing? I’m not taking any vitamins he suggested it was lack of potassium. What are your thoughts?

Edit
I literally just woke up for work so sorry if this doesn’t make sense lol

(Bunny) #2

Yes you probably need more sodium, potassium (pink Himalayan sea salt ) magnesium!

Pickle Juice if you want immediate relief (35 seconds or less)!

(Todd Batitis) #4

This can be even more dramatic if you are doing intermittent fasting as well. I add NoSalt (potassium) to what I cook as well as Pink Himalayan salt and keep the PH around during the day but have never needed it for that. My mag levels are OK but I am working to determine which version I want to use.

For me, the worst part about charlie horses (when I have got them in the past) is that they always seemed to wait until I was dead asleep and then AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :slight_smile:

(Lisa Stevens) #5

I used to have bad leg cramps but it stopped once I kept up with my supplements, especially potassium/magnesium. Getting in your greens like spinach and eating avocados helps. Adding cream of tartar and a little apple cider vinegar to your water is another source of potassium. I do that with a little salt and a touch of stevia. Using magnesium cream before bed is another good way to relax your muscles.

I take 1/4 tsp lite salt (sodium and potassium) twice a day, and use pink himalayan salt on food.

I was still getting cramps until I added magnesium glycinate as well. I think the recommended daily amount of magnesium for women is 300-400mg; I take 200mg plus whatever is in my food.

DietDoctor.com says:
Drink plenty of fluid and get enough salt
supplement with magnesium
consider increasing your carb intake somewhat

(Candy Lind) #8

OUCH! I empathize. I was getting almost nightly cramps until I finally hit on the right combo of supplements and fluids. Getting your electrolytes balanced is definitely a challenge on this WoE.

If you like avocado, load up on that (oerfect macros!) instead of taking a potassium supplement (they’re also a good source of magnesium). If you’re eating plenty of dark green leafy veggies and still cramping, add some pumpkin seeds (sparingly), almonds, or dark chocolate (watch the sugar!) for more magnesium - or get a supplement. I have found that I am quite deficient in magnesium; I was also not drinking enough water and that’s a sure cramp-inducer. I now take a Mg supplement, and I drink a commercial electrolyte mix not unlike this homemade ketoaide, at least 2 bottles a day, usually 3 or more. I tend to drink more when there’s some flavor, so this is what works for me.

KCKO, keep on plugging and you’ll figure it out.

Care to share what brand, Candy?

(Jennifer) #10

I had the same thing! They would wake me up several times a night, and would be unbearable. A glass of super salty water would make them go away temporarily, but supplementing with magnesium helped keep them at bay completely. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Have you tried bones broth? I have one cup in the morning and one just before bed and that seems to keep cramps away!
There are a couple of tasty ones available on Amazon or you could easily make your own, I tend to mix half commercial variety and half home made which is quite tasty.

(Diana ) #12

Now that I am saying this out loud (figuratively) I’ll probably jinx myself, but I haven’t had any leg cramps or restless legs since I started taking potassium and magnesium daily. And salting food more with Himalayan sea salt. And drinking plenty water.

(Roxanne) #13

For me, I had to increase magnesium, salt and calcium, and I add in some potassium in really hot weather when I sweat a lot.

Lots of good info here: https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/leg-cramps/7805

Getting enough salt is the critical heart of the matter - it’s what makes it possible for you to absorb the magnesium and potassium from foods. Minerals play a huge role in successful keto. To ensure proper sodium intake, Dr. Phinney recommends TWO bouillon cubes a day - or at least two teaspoons of good salt - in addition to what’s in your meals. I make concentrated himalayan salt water (sole) which I add to my morning water every day - it starts my day great! And I like to add about 1/4-1/2 tsp of good table salt to my desktop goblets of drinking water throughout the day, also good with a splash of lemon juice and rosewater.

Personally, I love the Kallo brand organic stock cubes, they have a lot of flavors -

And, being that most agricultural soil is nowadays depleted of magnesium, it can be helpful to supplement weekly or daily - I use angstrom magnesium for supreme absorption. Magnesium is responsible for some 18K bodily processes!

angstrom%20minerals%20education

https://www.angstrom-minerals.com/collections/magnesium-supplements

I couldn’t agree more. I had persistent leg cramps for a while and it was driving me crazy. My n=1 playing around with the electrolytes played out with increasing salt more than I already was having the biggest impact. I still moderately supplement potassium (in the form of No Salt, and have better results if I don’t use it every day) and I use magnesium oil spray (recommended by people on this forum) daily and love it.

BTW, I love the Kallo stock cubes. I bought some of the mushroom ones…yum. You must have been the one on here that recommended those.

Awww… that’s so nice to know! I love the Kallo mushroom too!!! I’ve been enjoying drink more hot mugs of broth with the cold weather lately.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #18

One of the great things about converting to a keto wol has been not having those ferocious leg cramps anymore!

After reading about electrolyte depletion being so common, I started off using supplements, salting foods, and drinking a lot of water.

My leg cramps were infrequent before keto, but got better after starting! :grin::grin:

(Candy Lind) #19

Sure. I use about 1/2 to 2/3 scoop of this in a 23.7 oz (700ml) bottle, as opposed to the recommended scoop in 20 oz. I want a little flavor to help me drink more water, and this watered-down state does the trick. This brand is cheapest in the 90-serving jar, but there are packets made to pour into a bottle if you need convenience for travel.

Thanks!