Science for family/friends

(jennifersmatthews) #1

I was recently in a situation where someone questioned this woe and pretty much called bullshit on it. Especially, eating fruit, it’s nature and can’t be bad for you. I am armed in my head but don’t know what to reference. They also said you can find any study to support anything. So, I need studies not backed by industry.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Not a study, but this post on the old FB group speaks to one reason why fruits aren’t such a great idea:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1595453080771766/permalink/1733989126918160/

Short version: generations of selective breeding has produced fruits (and vegetables and grains) that are nothing like what our ancestors ate, and which have FAR more sugar in them than the fruits from which they were bred.

Add to that the fact that until the advent of modern agriculture and worldwide shipping, fruits were NEVER available year-round, and you can start to see that these not only would not have been staple items in most people’s diets, they would have been absent from their diets for most of the year, and they would have had far lower sugar content.

So, no, you don’t NEED to eat fruit regularly.

(Jake P) #3

I don’t have any studies to point to, but I do point to my results. I’m up to 60 pounds weight loss, That’s hard to refute.

(Karen Parrott) #4

I’m a scientist in real life and I rarely point to studies, unless it’s my Lab Science friends, even then, I usually whip out my before and after photos OR my glucose meter and click through to my flashing averages for both fasting and 2 hour post values 76, 80, 75…

Yep! Genetics plays a key, so I try to tie not being a skinny diabetic into it. I know lots of diabetics, Hashimoto’s or post menopausal women who suffer greatly. I try to tie what I had before this WOE to what I have now.

Compare and contrast works well for me, my own examples. If someone is big into WW points counting or CICO, I point to rarely hungry and feel full and satisfied, because you know they are starving.

I point to almost no hot flashes to 10-12 a night.

I point to size 6 skinny jeans compared to size 14-18 or 1X yo-yo fat pants.

I can eat fruit , or I can get diabetes. People seem to get it. :wink:

I would go with “eat fruit in season” as a rebuttal to the unscientific argument presented. And then only if you are healthy and haven’t damaged your metabolism over years of eating the wrong things.

Science-wise, most people have been told over and over how they need the vitamin C and other nutrients found in fruit. This article shows the flaws in that approach:

TL;DR: Vitamin C and glucose compete for absorption and utilization by the body. So less carbs = less Vitamin C needed.

Arsenic is natural. Hemlock is natural. Lead is natural. Radiation is natural.

Yet, they are all poison to the body.

(jennifersmatthews) #8

Thank you all so much!

Luckily, I come from an Italian family. When they call BS on my way of eating, all I have to do is remind them how our great grand mothers and fathers ate. They would eat fruit only in season, and they would eat the fruit with the bruises, scars etc…not the perfect, plump and defect free Frankenstein fruit we see 12 months out of the year at the grocery store.

Our ancestral family would consume a kilogram of sugar in 6 months. Sugar was barely used in the house. And they never bought prepared food. So there was no other way for sugar to get into their diet.

They only ate pasta once a week because they knew it was a cheap filler. And they only had 3 mouthfuls of it. The plate was dominated by other stuff like meat and vegetables. Their pasta was hand made and contained egg yolks and extra virgin olive oil made from their own olive trees.

They used pork a lot in their cooking. Apart from their olive oil, they rendered the pork fat and kept many jars of lard for cooking.

Every meal was dominated by some sort of meat. Pork, lamb, goat, fish, sea food, chicken, eggs and beef. Pizza, bread, pasta, potatoes were considered cheap fillers and consisted of small portion of the meal. Green vegetables (cooked in olive oil or lard) was the second most important part of the meal.

There was no such thing as dessert. Cheese and nuts were consumed at the end of the meal as dessert. The cheese was made from goat or sheep or cow…they frequently consumed from many dairy sources.

All animal products were free range and pastured. All food scraps from the kitchen (like outer leaves of lettuce, egg shells, hard artichoke leaves, etc,) was fed to the animals they raised. Nothing organic was ever wasted. Everything had a use.

Just like the meat, dairy and eggs they consumed came from what they raised, even the bread and pasta was made by the wheat they harvested. And the entire grain was milled and used. They needed to be very frugal and consume wisely to make sure they had enough food to last them the year until next harvest. That’s why pasta and bread was not so plentiful. It was easier raising a few more goats or lambs or pigs and eating meat than growing a larger crop of wheat and finding a safe rodent - free place to store the larger grain inventory. You also had to bring your grain to the miller and have them grind your grain. As payment the miller took a portion of your grain. Quality control was a pain in the butt because your grain could be mixed with someone else’s garbage harvest. It was a headache.

(Mark) #10

I’m of the opinion that eating keto may not be for everyone I just know it has helped my deranged metabolism immensely, paleo seems to work for some lchf may work for others some may choose a raw food diet or be a vegan ,as others have said,just let your results speak for themselves,how does that saying go? A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still,tell them you can eat the healthiest fruit on the planet ,my favorite the Avocado