Save The Avocado

So, I was too eager and misjudged the ripeness of an avocado and cut it open. It is underripe and not tasty. Is there a way to salvage it? Help… ~AvocadoAdmirer

(Paul H) #2

Good question… Been there and they are not cheap. They just seem to rot and discolor once opened.

So, based on my internet research it seems the only way to save it is to freeze it (I cut it into chunks and threw it in the freezer). This changes the texture, though, so it will be more suitable for smoothies or recipes. I just didn’t want to waste this beautiful organic avocado from ALDI. Maybe this will be an excuse to make some brownies or pudding.

('Jackie P') #4

You can cook it. I cooked one with prawns, creme fraiche and cheese. Seasoned with salt, pepper and chilli flakes.
Also hollow out the middle, bake for 5 mins then crack an egg into each half, (you might have to discard some of the white), bake until just set.

(Carl Keller) #5

If an avocado has a little bit of give when you sqeeze it, it is good to go. If it is too firm, you can leave it at room temperature to accelerate the ripening process. If it is perfect or near perfect you can put it in your refrigerator so that it won’t overripen. When I pick my avocados out at Aldi, I try to grab a bag with varying degrees of firmness so that by the time I get to the end of the bag, the last one is just as ripe as the first.

(Karim Wassef) #6

Cut it up… Add lime and put it in an airtight bag. Leave out for a few hours.

(Consensus is Politics) #7

Dittos

(Consensus is Politics) #8

This is what I do. I slice them into 1/4 inch thick pieces and fry in bacon fat. As brown as you like. They do get very soft, and very tastey. Throw on some salt, because you can! :cowboy_hat_face:

Ooooh I love these two tips. Yum!!!

('Jackie P') #10

I like this one😀

(traci simpson) #11

I get them under ripe and then put them in the dark pantry for two or three days until they get to the texture I want. Then I put them in the fridge until I’m ready to eat them.

(Karim Wassef) #12

I think the problem is what to do when you’ve sliced it open before it’s time. Can’t wrap a sliced avocado… it starts to oxidize unless you add an acid to it or vacuum seal it.

Good idea for picking a bag with varied ripeness, if possible. I will try this next time I buy them. ALDI has some really tasty avocados.

It had a very “green” underripe taste (kind of like underripe bananas do). Do you think cooking would get rid of the taste? I like the idea of baking it with a filling if the taste is good.

I’ve also mashed up under ripe avocados with my immersion blender to make guacamole (or you could use a food processor). Once you add in salt, lime, etc. it disguises the under ripe flavor.

('Jackie P') #16

Well it just tastes a bit different, but cooks soft. If you go to www.thekitchn.com/can you really ripen an avocado in just 10 minutes! Might help!

(Wendy) #17

The page didn’t link right or something.

('Jackie P') #18

Oh no I’m sorry about that. Google tips for ripening avocados! Thats what I did.:blush:

This sounds like a good option!