Sauerkraut, pate, bone broth

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #21

The first batch of fermented pickles starting now. Dill, coriander seed and garlic. 2% salt solution. I’m told this might be ready in as little as 4 days.

Fermentation lock not needed but that is the jar I have handy. Yum. can’t wait.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #22

So this batch tasted good (not great) but was way too soft. Found this article: https://www.makesauerkraut.com/fermented-pickles/ that told me I probably should have done 3%+ salt not 2%. So we put up 4 qts of pickles yesterday and added a tea bag (tannin) to 2 of the 4. 3.5% salt. Also put up a qt of okra with a slice of hot pepper in the jar. Jalapeno to be specific. We will start testing the pickles Wednesday night when I break my current fast.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #23

You can also use calcium chloride (pickle crisp). I bought generic food grade from Amazon cheap, it’s also used in homebrew. Pickle Crisp was a brand name Ball product and is more expensive. It works well for maintaining a crisp texture. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #24

Thanks. I saw some at walmart and read the label. Seemed it was for brined pickles and I did not want to assume it was for fermented also. Good to know.