Sardines Ideas?

How do you like your sardines? I buy the King Oscar ones canned in oil, but wanted more tasty ideas on consuming them.

I’ve done in salads and on a cheese shell taco. Any other tasty ideas?

I mostly just fry them up with a side of eggs over easy. A bit of salt and hot sauce, maybe a bit of cheese to round things out, but not always.

(Sheri Knauer) #3

When I make salmon patties/fritters, I mix in a can of sardines too. Ive also made just sardine fritters by replacing the salmon

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Use sardines instead of tuna in your fav tuna salad recipe.

I like dijon mustard, chopped pickles, juice from the pickle jar, a tiny bit of thin onion, capers and paleo mayo for mine. Just mash the sardines and add the goodies, give it a good stir and eat on romaine lettuce leaves. Guacomole and pork rinds on the side :slight_smile:

(Anna) #5

I am Mexican American.
I make Pico de Gallo
Which is chopped tomatoes, onions, fresh jalapeño peppers, cilantro and fresh squeezed lemons, oh, some garlic and salt with some olive oil.
Toss and refrigerate.

But I just put a few tablespoons on my sardines and enjoy.

(Jennifer) #6

I eat them right out of the can and then put the oil on the dogs food… lol…

(Susan) #7

I’ve thought about trying sardines but am wondering…how bad do they smell? Or do they?

(Bob) #8

Sardines, smoked herring (kippers), oysters, chub mackerel, anchovies are great foods for a keto diet. They are all protein and fat with the number of grams listed on the nutrition label. They are a great source of omega 3 fat. I usually toss the olive oil as I don’t know the quality of the oil. I usually just sprinkle spices on top and eat. I usually buy the better quality brands. Cole from Portugal, Bar Harbor foods from Maine, etc. There is a big difference in the quality of canned fish from different canners. All of these fish are at the bottom of the food chain and have the lowest amounts of mercury.

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

Mash with an avocado, and eat!

Fry 'em in bacon grease!

(James storie) #11

I love sardines! King Oscar is the brand I love too. I normally just eat them right out of the can, but this thread has given me all kids of ideas!

Sardines ideas? Any suggestions?
(KCKO, KCFO) #12

My lunch today was a can of tuna with a can of sardines mashed together, added my normal stuff for tuna salad (see my earlier post above). Hubby who isn’t keen on sardines really liked it. I’m calling it fish salad from now on.

(Todd Allen) #13

Costco recently had a 30% off sale on Season brand sardines in olive oil and I bought 4 cases (36 cans per case). Almost daily I eat a can sprinkled with extra salt though once in a while I do something fancier like a tuna salad. My dog also loves the leftovers and now comes running whenever I open a can.

(Robert Williamson) #14

Never much cared for sardines until I found Season brand filets in olive oil. Now I’m easing into the ones with the bones and the skin and the finny bits, as long as they’re not packed in the cheapest available industrial seed oil. A little onion, some cut-up Greek olives, capers, and a squeeze of lemon.

I’ve just been spending the weekend on the coast at La Rochelle in the Charentes. Mostly, I have been eating oysters since this area produces the most of the oysters in France (or so they say). However, the tastiest thing I’ve eaten was something the restaurant called rillettes de sardines. Basically it’s sardines mixed up with some cream or cream cheese and some flavouring like capers, chilli flakes, olive oil. There are loads of recipes out there and I intend to try them all.
Sardines are fatty, tasty, high in omega 3 and cheap so what’s not to like?

What did you Keto today?
(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I am a fan of Season brand as well.

Wow, that sounds so tasty. Will have to try those when I end this fast I started today.

Also, have a look at this YouTube clip from French guy Alex. He does a number of recipes but the one I have enjoyed more than once is the sardines with chimichurri.

(Ben ) #18

Why can’t we eat the oil that the sardines are packed in? I think that the oil will add a few hundred calories to the meal but its olive oil.

Sardines, canned tomatoes, and bottled artichokes are all staples in my cupboard (and I like to keep them around in quantity as emergency food supplies). Adjust quantities below to meet your personal carb limit.

1. Drain a can of tomatoes and cook in some olive oil until they’re tender. Maybe add some salt, pepper, and herbs (like basil or italian seasoning) if you’re feeling enthusiastic.
  2. Chop up a few bottled or canned artichokes and add to the pan.
  3. Drain a can or two of sardines and add to the pan. Cook until heated through.

In hot weather, you can just toss all this together without cooking, too. Maybe add a little vinegar to balance the oil and serve on some lettuce.