Salt and inflammation related to CVD

Hey there, I am new to Keto and also new to this forum. However, I have studied health and wellness for the last 10 years of my life so this information may be valuable.

There is a common misconception that consuming animal products cause a build up of cholesterol. Although this is possible, independent studies suggest that the use of table salt or sodium chloride in products we consume is more likely to be the culprit. Table salt is made with very small particles of sand and glass. These tiny particles make their way into our arteries which cause microscopic cuts in which cholesterol rushes to in order to stop internal bleeding. They scratch and make small tears in your body including your veins. Your body reacts by trying to patch and heal with fats (cholesterol). This often causes your body to make more cholesterol than needed and cause blockages and in more extreme cases can lead to stroke or heart attack.

If your consuming processed broths and using table salt to combat keto side effects, this could be why. Switching to Himalayan sea salt could improve your test results.

In any case, finding research on this is horrowing. Unfortunately, we live in a world where the largest industries profit from our sickness so finding these studies will be difficult…but they do exist. I will try to source them if I find them.

Cholesterol levels
(Kristin Rogers) #2

Curious to see information about table salt being problematic on[quote=“Jeaniestar, post:2, topic:15857”]
Table salt is made with very small particles of sand and glass. These tiny particles make their way into our arteries which cause microscopic cuts in which cholesterol rushes to in order to stop internal bleeding. They scratch and make small tears in your body including your veins. Your body reacts by trying to patch and heal with fats (cholesterol).
[/quote]

I have never heard this before (and have been reading health and nutrition science for a lot of years). Can you share sources?
I have definitely heard, and agree, that cholesterol is not the villain we have been told that it is. But it’s a complicated issue…

Okay, so although I couldn’t find the original study. I did find a study related to impurities found in regular table salt.

table salt is only required to be 98% pure and is often mixed with additives such as calcium silicate which is not fully water saluable and a known irritant.

Stick to sea salts which also have a number of other benefits

(Sheri Knauer) #4

I have not heard of salt being the culprit either but rather sugar…

(Duncan Kerridge) #5

Which is probably purer than Himalayan salt … it’s not pink because it’s pure salt after all.

(bulkbiker) #6

at least its not yellow…

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #7

I guess there are multiple types of cardiovascular diseases, it’s the first time I hear this table salt theory.

Higher insulin levels leads to inflammation. When your arteries are inflamed (atherosclerosis) your body tries to fix it putting calcium on the arteries walls and over time the calcium built up clogs the arteries.

There are exams where they can measure the calcium on your arteries.

If you search google scholar for “atherosclerosis cardiovascular disease” you will find studies about this.

It’s not so much the natural minerals that are of concern, it is the chemical additives that stop table salt from clumping that are dangerous. They are not water soluble and abrasive.

I’d love to see some research on this. This is the first I’ve heard about the micro-abrasions/cholesterol part but it does seem reasonable on some levels. It’s not hard to find health experts who advocate the use of “healthy” salts as table salt is pro-inflammation. I always assumed that was because of the anti-caking agents but I don’t know that I’ve ever read that specifically. The absence of trace minerals could be another factor they are referring to but I think it’s more than that.

I supplement a lot with salt, especially when fasting. I like to put 1/4-1/2 tsp on my tongue and let it dissolve. I can say from my experience that a few of the times I’ve been forced to use table salt I got sharp stomach pains, something I’ve never experienced from pink salt.