Salads & cooked vegetables

Is it true that salads and cooked vegetables actually cause the loss of vitamins and minerals found in the meats and fats we eat on a keto diet?

(Joey) #2

Not quite sure how to parse your question…

Cooking just about anything (beyond a little softening) can reduce the vitamins/nutrient content available for intake.

Are you asking whether eating a cooked veggie or salad will cause loss in the meats/fats we are otherwise eating? I don’t think they would have a destructive effect, if that’s what you’re asking.

Two things in response:
“Cooking just about anything (beyond a little softening) can reduce the vitamins/nutrient content available for intake.”
Firstly and just the opposite of what you said. Many believe cooking vegetables, and not raw salads, even fermented vegetables, such as kimchi, is the only form of eating vegetables that has nutrient value.
Secondly
“Are you asking whether eating a cooked veggie or salad will cause loss in the meats/fats we are otherwise eating? I don’t think they would have a destructive effect, if that’s what you’re asking.”
From what many are saying here. Eating salads and vegetables (bulky foods), makes one poop more often than those that eat just meats and fats and therefore the nutritive value from the meats and fats on a keto diet are wasted or excreted more so than if you eat just meats and fats (carnivore) because carnivore dieters poop less often and theefore retain more nutrients from their meats and fats.

(Joey) #4

Called me a skeptic. If there’s science on these topics I’d appreciate any links someone might provide.

(p.s. - as an avid home veggie-ferment’er, I do so to allow the bacteria to consume the carbs before joining my gut biome family. Also, they taste awesome. It’s not about the nutrient content at all.)

If you read the comments to my previous topics most here believe it’s not necessarily good to poop every day. I on the other hand think it is good to do so and I eat a salad and cooked vegetables in addition to meats and fats every day.

(Joey) #6

Sounds like we’re both skeptics :wink:

good read:

I dont endorse a plant based diet at all. I’m just saying salads & cooked vegetables in addition to meats & good fats (keto diet) might be better than just meats & fats alone. However most here believe meats & fats alone are better because they allow more nutrients to be absorbed because you poop less often.

(Joey) #9

@Fangs The author (dentist) seems rather self-promotional, so my BS-antennae are raised… but the article you’ve cited offers plenty of outside reference links which may prove valuable as a wealth of follow-up material worth exploring.

I’ll plan to make time to do some of that. Living and learning. Thanks!

it isn’t about plant based but most SAD menu is plant based…from the seed oils to the chemicals enhanced in man made products made from veg/grains etc.

It is just a reference for what toxins are in plants and how some plant matter can effect the body and of course individual use of each food people do eat and their effects can be very personal.

oh he is a very well respected big time veteran carnivore out there in zero carb land. Everyone knows of Dr. Stock and his journey and support of being carnivore. He has alot of info along with other key carnivores, but key being, I posted it cause the original post that I replied to asked about ‘how bad can veg be for some’ and ‘do they leech minerals’ and more from our bodies so I put out that info as a response to read up on what info is real science on effects of our bodies, but again, individuals do vary on how well one does on what plant matter.

but if

We don’t poop less often on carnivore because of nutrients. It’s all about the non-digestible bulk in the plants.

And it’s fine and dandy to poop every day. Just like it’s fine not to. It’s individual and the diet matters too.

Eating vegs may be perfectly fine. Not eating vegs may be quite fine too. It depends on the person, their goals and other things.

I don’t believe in vegs messing up nutrients from animal food but I admit I don’t KNOW these things. Just that eating meat with vegs works quite fine for many so vegs can’t be those big evil nutrition robbing things :wink: They can cause zillion other problems for some while they are basically essential for others even if they aren’t essential for the human body in general.

(Megan) #12

I think you aren’t understanding what people are saying. People eating just meat and fat poop less because there is no undigestible material in what they eat (fiber from plant foods). Also, the nutrients from meat and fat are more bioavailable than some of the nutrients in plant foods, meaning it is easier for the body to absorb and use them.

As for your original question, I have no idea. The only thing I have heard in this general area is that eating wholegrains is, in part, a health kick marketing con, because some of the indigestible part of the wholegrain interferes with nutrient absorption. I have no idea if this is true, it’s just some info I came across in a healthy eating documentary.

From a purely dietary perspective: whether it’s better to poop every day or so, or every few days or so, depends on what you are eating. If you eat indigestible material, you will very probably need to poop more, and more often, than a person who doesn’t eat indigestible material.

The bottom line, in regard to this thread and similar threads, find what works best for you as a person and for your body and do that. It really is that simple.