Sad day

(Allie) #5

Do your own research instead of blindly following someone else’s opinion.

(Carl Keller) #6

There are zero honest studies that prove that a high LDL by itself puts you at a greater risk for coronary heart disease. In the Framingham study, a higher LDL was associated with a greater life expectancy in the older population.

Average lipids in patients hospitalized with coronary heart disease (N=136,905). 104 LDL, 161 Trigs, 39 HDL.

(John) #7

Or, you could do what I do and just take the prescribed statins. I don’t observe any side effects and it keeps my cholesterol numbers in normal levels.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

Also the lipid panel values can be all over the ranges depending on how you approached fasting.

12 - 14 hrs fasted. Not shorter not longer is recommended for the most accurate. Do not fast in the 3 days preceding the blood draw. Apparently IF 18/6 is okay according to Dave Feldman if you get sufficient calories and fat.

Jeanine, I agree with all of the above but also want to point out that LDL numbers are usually wonky anyway while you’re losing weight. They tend to spike (and then later drop when you’ve been in maintenance for a while).
Look at some of Dave Feldman’s videos on cholesterol. They’re terrific.

In addition to the links above about LDL-C as an indicator of coronary risk, I’d be interested in the other test results from the cholesterol panel. What are your trigs and HDL showing? Did you have a pre-keto test to see what direction your results are trending?

If your doctor is truly worried about the LDL and total cholesterol, you could request an NMR particle size / density test to see the type of LDL you have. LDL-C is a flawed metric at best. Looking to see if you are Pattern A or Pattern B will be helpful to decide your level of risk.

See also:

(bulkbiker) #11

Doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t any though…

One thing statins do is impair CoQ10 so are you taking a supplement for that?

(John) #13

Nope.

“wonder-bread and processed turkey anyone?”

(Carl Keller) #15

Interestingly, I found this one N=39 study (among many other studies) that used the Trigs/HDL ratio to confirm LDL particle size. They found:

Seventy-five percent of the Small LDL group had TG/HDL-C ratios higher than 0.9 using mmol/L or 2.0 using mg/dL, while only 25% of the normal LDL group had ratios above the levels (p = 0.0013).

So from this we can determine that low trigs, high HDL means there’s a good chance your LDL particles are not small.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Hi Jeanine, I would be interested in seeing your actual lab sheets, with just total cholesterol and LDL numbers there’s no way to know what’s really happening with your lipids. We need the HDL and triglycerides ratio and VLDL numbers too. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Marianne) #17

I just had bloodwork on May 15 - very similar results to your’s. I read a lot of stuff people posted to me here after I was bummed out like you are, and it made me feel better. Lot of people know their stuff here, as well as other renowned keto experts. I’m not going on meds - not for this. I trust that my high LDL actually balances some other stuff. Good luck.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Could you post your triglyceride to hdl ratio? That is far more telling about your cardiac risks.

Also, before taking a statin, get the NRM test done, to see the size of the LDLs, then a CAC scan done. If it is low, under 100 your good. Use this thread to learn more about CAC scan scores that are not optimal and how to slow, halt or even reverse the build up in this thread:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/cac-scores-not-0-add-your-knowledge-here/85515

(Jeanine) #19

Triglycerides 101
LDL 250
HDL 71
Colesterol 320
Colesterol/HDL RATIO 4.5

(Jeanine) #20

Triglycerides 101
Colesterol 320
HDL 71
LDL 250
Colesterol/HDL ratio 4.5

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

What you want is the ratio of Triglycerides to HDL so yours is a very healthy 1.42. If you haven’t done so please visit Dave Feldman’s website https://cholesterolcode.com/. Plug our numbers into the calculator there to learn more about yourself. https://cholesterolcode.com/report/

(Full Metal KETO AF) #22

Triglycerides are healthy

Ratio is healthy too.

HDL is well above minimum and excellent

No VLDL?

I would say you’re doing great, these are good numbers from what I see. Cholesterol and LDL are often higher than what’s thought to be healthy in the context of a standard diet when you’re eating ketogenic food. This alone isn’t an indication of increased Cardiovascular Disease. My LDL went to 290 recently. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Olga Alexandrovna) #23

All drugs have horrible side effects. My doctor told me that my cholesterol was sky high, but at the same time she said - there is no risk, given my weight, age, and activity level. So… it’s not just a test number.

(CharleyD) #24

You should feel upset. Your doctor works for you, and should not dictate how you eat. Unless of course they tell you to cut the carbs :innocent:

The biggest indicator is… How do you feel?

If you feel good, let’s Keep Calm and Keto On, shall we?