Runners

(William) #1

New to keto, feeling great. But I am also in training for future runs. Typically before long runs I carb load, and during runs eat gu’s for continued energy. Any advice or option that can help me stay in the zone?

(Allie) #2

Wait until you’re able to ease up on the training for a while so you can cut out the carbs and allow your body to properly adapt to ketosis, then rebuild your stamina and very likely end up in a better position, endurance wise, than you are now.

(less is more, more or less) #3

Welcome to the forums! Lots of great info and helpful people here.

I run 3 - 4 times a week. I’m not aggressive, pace-wise, about a 12 minute mile. How aggressive or competitive of a runner are you?

I’ve got fantastic news for you. Once your fat-adapted, you can throw that candy junk out. The problem is transitioning your body from carb to fat-adaption. If you’re aggressive or competitive, the transition period will feel like you’re losing energy or “umph.” I’m not, so if I turn in a lousy runtime, I’m happy, regardless.

My doctor, Dr. Westman, has given me homework at my last visit to him.

The book provides the science behind, and the supporting practices that will help change you

Volek and Phinney (as do an increasing number in the medical community) argue that fat-adaption provides you with far more efficient energy stores (fat) than carbs can ever. Given how we’re awash in misleading nutritional information, however, this may seem hard to believe. There’s plenty of n=1 testimonies here, however. Check out the search feature, there’s a lot of athletes here who share their story.

I’ve gone from barely limping over a 5-mile run to successfully completing half marathons. Not bad for a 56-year-old.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The hard part is waiting out the hormonal adjustments necessary to fat-adaptation. Many athletes I know are of the obsessive type, and they can’t permit their body to be in charge of itself—they know better and have to be in control. But when you see people winning hundred-mile iron man races using their body fat alone, it becomes a bit more convincing.

But don’t mind me. I agree with Dr. Phinney that it seems a bit perverse to take hours to run a distance that you could drive in less than half an hour. :grin:

(William) #5

Thanks for the tip on the book. I will be at the library today. I am not super competitive, but I do have three twentysomething children who are all active. I am comfortable with my 12 minute miles as well. But very proud to say I have run the last 3 Chicago marathons. Not bad for 48?? Lol

(Scott) #6

I started keto July. I was also recovering from an ankle injury so my running had been on break so that may also have been part of it… After going keto my runs lacked energy in a big way and I had to insert walking breaks. It took me about three months to get my energy back and feel great… It can take some time.