Rotisserie chicken from vons - What do these ingredients mean?

(Ashley ) #1

I just bought a delicious smelling rotisserie from vons. I happened to check the label after I came home and found some odd things listed - is this OK?

Some weird ingredients listed and I also see it says “brown sugar” on ingredients but it says 0g of sugar on nutritional facts… ?

(Ashley ) #2

Is this Sugar and weird ingredients just in the skin / toppings? Should I peel the skin and not eat it?

If it’s not significant enough to show up on the nutritional label for a decent sized serving, I wouldn’t worry about it.

(Ashley ) #4

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it - do you know what these other ingredients are??

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Total Carbohydrate 300 gr. If you are in Europe or Australia Total Carbs are the actual net. If you’re in NA then subtract the fiber from the total and net carbs are 275 grams. That’s enough carbs for 3 weeks of keto. Are those 300 grams of carbs per the whole chicken or some smaller portion of it?

“Up to 15% of solution”… I think that means the chicken has been marinated so it’s likely this ‘solution’ has permeated the whole thing, not just the skin.

This stuff has more ‘ingredients’ than a typical chemistry set. Why not just buy a chicken and roast it?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

EDIT:

PS: Learn how to read/interpret take better photos of nutrition labels. It’s a very good idea to read the label before you purchase, not after you get home.

Duh. :flushed:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1::hugs::joy:
too funny but so true LOL

(Allie) #8

It’s the kind of label I read before putting something back on the shelf.

There’s not enough of any of it to actually matter, I wanna say it was Thomas DeLauer who did a thing on store rotisserie chickens and how they’re supposedly the worst things you can eat. That said… I eat em! I refuse to be that anal about stuff that really doesn’t matter.

thing is I ate a ton of them too back in the old days of my transition to ‘healthy eating’ but each of us must make that decision for ourselves truly.

you can’t get me to eat an ‘injected chemical sludge’ meat now.

but now is now for me in my journey. Everyone has to walk that on their own and decision their food choices.

it does matter to many of us tho but where are you on what path ya know?

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

They must brine the chicken. I use Costco chickens which are also brined, it doesn’t play with my husband’s BS at all. Just try checking yours after eating some and see if your ok. People do vary. DH does eat small serves of potatoes without an issues as well. You must check. The package should say how many carbs are in a serving, so if 0 then eating it in moderation should be ok.

After saying all that, I should mention I am transitioning us over to grilled and baked chicken. I am using a cooking hack of Kristie Sullivan’s, I put several slices along the top of the chicken parts, then place them in a bag with EVOO, and spices of my choice that day, 30 mins. of marinating works great, then cook in oven or on the grill if it is nice outside. We love it this way. I’ll try to find the link to Kristie’s technique and post it in this thread if I find it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

The “solution” mentioned is injected into the meat to make it appear plumper and juicier. As for the various ingredients:

• Sodium tripolyphosphate: an emulsifier used in detergents to promote foaming and in food to help it retain water

• Brown sugar: table sugar (sucrose) coloured brown (it used to be from an earlier stage in the refining process, but colouring is easier); sucrose is a combination of one molecule of glucose with one molecule of fructose

• Rice starch: chains of pure glucose

• Dextrose: pure glucose

• Carrageenan: a binder and stabiliser

• Sodium acid pyrophosphate: used in food as a leavening agent and to preserve colour

• Xanthan gum: another binder and stabiliser

• Maltodextrin: a form of sugar (a combination of maltose and glucose)

• Corn syrup: a combination of sucrose glucose and fructose, though not necessarily bound together, as they would be in sucrose

• Sorbitol: a sugar alcohol

• Citric acid: used here as a preservative

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

I like brining, lots of the stuff stays behind. I would not like something that had been injected, all the stuff stays in.

I need to check on the Costco method but I think I did read they do brines, not injections but will check up on it.

I’m happy with my new method of cooking chicken and I like I can do it with breast or legs/thighs. I prefer dark meat to the white, so it has worked well for me.

That’s not the chicken ingredients. Those are the RDA guidelines for 2000 and 2500 calories.

That chicken has LOADS more protein than that (along with more fat and way less carbs)

(Jane) #15

Slices of what? On top of the chicken :thinking:

ETA: Oops - didn’t realize I was replying to such an old thread. My bad.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Not a problem resurrecting old threads. Richard actually prefers it. That said, I hate reacting with urgency to a situation that has long since been dealt with, so I have learned to check dates—most of the time, lol!

Looking over the thread, I notice that no one actually addressed an important issue: why the nutrition label says “0g of sugar,” when the list of ingredients mentions several types of sugar.

This can trip people up, so I’ll address it. The reason is that U.S. labeling laws permit the food manufacturer to choose an arbitrary serving size, and they also permit the amount of sugar to be listed as 0g, when it is less than 0.5 g per serving. The serving size in such a case is invariably unrealistically small, so what I do is to assume the product contains 0.499999999 g of sugar per “serving,” figure out how many “servings” I am really going to be eating, and do the arithmetic. (If the label says “less than 1 gram” of sugar, I assume 0.999999999 g/serving, by the way.)

European countries also allow arbitrarily small serving sizes on nutrition labels, but then require that the contents per 100 g also be listed. This generally eliminates the type of fraud legally permitted in the U.S.

(This is one of my favourite rants, so I am surprised that I forgot to include it in my earlier post.)

And we have info like “0.3g carbs” too :slight_smile: I like it. Or “<0.5g”, at least.
I would be very unhappy with the US labeling (though most of my food has no label at all).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

That’s the best kind of food to eat! :+1::grin:

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

Knife slices, just slashes across the piece of chicken. I could not believe the difference the first time I did it. Sorry for the confusion.

@PaulL, that .5 or less is also a frustration to me.

All a brine really needs is salt and water anyway, but they have to add sugar, so that is frustrating as well.

In full disclosure, I do eat a lot of brined chickens from Costco. Didn’t seem to hamper my successful weight loss and maintenance efforts.

(Marianne) #20

Agreed. :grimacing::laughing: As with most commercial foods.

Rotisserie chicken is really the only thing I am lazy about. I don’t mind cooking meat (usually seared in a cast iron skillet), but I find roasting a chicken to be dirty, messy and generally a pain. I agree with you that a roasted chicken is healthier, but for the amount we eat per serving and the price, I think one every two weeks is okay. I will ponder this some more.