Rise in resting heart rate

(Peg Prince) #1

Hi all,
This is my first post, and I believe it’s a new topic. I wear a fitbit. I was an athlete for the first 35 years of my life, and had a resting heart rate of 58-60 for most of my life. Since starting keto on January 7 , it has steadily risen to 71. I am loving so many things about eating this way: no cravings, no hunger, easy breakfast (BPC), yummy meals. But I still lack energy and the rise in resting heart rate is a concern. Has anyone else noticed anything like this. If not, I may want to check in with my Doctor.

(Allie) #2

You’re in the adaptation phase so readings will get a bit squiffy as your body is going through massive changes, but also, Fitbit is not accurate for RHR - it had mine up as high as 74 which made no sense, but since I changed to Garmin I’ve found it’s closer to 50.

(Carl Keller) #3

Here’s a thread that echoes what @Shortstuff is saying:

Heart rate during Keto adaptation

Another common cause of increased heart rate is electrolyte deficiency. In a ketogenic diet, it’s recommended we get 2+ teaspoons (8+ grams) of sodium and up to 8 cups (2 liters) of water per day. We are constantly flushing sodium out of our system when we are not eating carbs (which helps retain it). If this falls out of balance, problems are likely to occur.

https://perfectketo.com/ketosis-side-effects/

Are you getting enough salt?

If you don’t have enough, your body will get rid of (precious) water in order to keep the salt/water ratios just right. This will mean your heart will race to push the smaller quantity of water around further to compensate for not having the full quantity.

If you’re fighting an infection the rate will go up, it’s healing time.

Otherwise my numbers were similar before and after keto.

You may need some other vitamins or minerals. A multi-vitamin without iron is not unheard of in keto circles. As well as magnesium/potassium- but I wouldn’t guzzle pills until one works, get lab tests.

(Peg Prince) #5

Thanks Alex,
I had heard that your body will tell you when you need salt (you’ll crave salty). But just in case, I’m going to start sipping on broth and trying to make sure that I get at least 2000 mg/day. I haven’t been measuring my salt intake.

Peg

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Hmm, I don’t know, maybe in extreme cases or something? But before keto I barely had any salt I never felt any cravings? I don’t know …

Last time I heard Dr Phinney mention sodium he was saying 5000-6000 mg per day. Please check that 2000mg number it seems way too low to me.

On keto the kidneys get rid of sodium and since it isn’t stored anywhere we must resupply it daily.

(Allie) #7

My body never craved salt, actually I dislike the taste and still do, but when I started adding in salt capsules I felt massively better.

Many people need closer to 6000mg sodium a day as 2000g just doesn’t cut it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8
  1. We excrete sodium at a higher rate when we stop eating carbohydrate. The high insulin level was keeping the kidneys from excreting sodium at their normal rate.

2. Several recent studies indicate that the healthiest sodium intake is between 4 and 6 grams/day. This translates to 10-15 g of table salt (NaCl). People with salt-sensitive hypertension should stay within this range, because their risk curve rises steeply as their intake falls too low or rises too high. As for the rest of us, the risk curve rises just as steeply if we go to low, but doesn’t rise nearly as steeply if we exceed the range.

(Peg Prince) #9

Thanks Alex!

(Peg Prince) #10

Wow, thanks. I don’t crave saltat all, so I will really have to start tracking my intake and adding capsules…thats the only wsy I can tolerate it.
Peg

(Jennibc) #11

My fitbit is usually right on the money. Every time I go to the doc and they take my resting heart rate in lines up with fitbit or is a single beat off. That’s been about 15 times over the past three years. I have the Blaze so I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

(Allie) #12

Mine was the Ionic, I’ve given it to a friend who is very happy with it and now use Garmin which has way more reporting features.