Rhubarb, raw

(Todd Chester) #1

Rhubarb, raw, 1 cup, diced
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2056/2
Glycemic load: 2 YIPPEE!
Carbs: 5.5 g

One cup is A LOT of rhubarb.

Any of you guys munch on it? Any tips? A little stevia?

Many thanks,
-T

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting: Not only does it taste bad itā€™s one of the vegetables highest in oxalates along with spinach and chard which I like but avoid because of the high oxalic acid content. Honestly though even cooked with strawberries and a ton of sugar I donā€™t like rhubarb. The leaves are poisonous because of very high oxalic acids. Not a quality I like in a vegetable Iā€™m going to eat. Excess oxalates can cause many issues, notably kidney stones and other complications and they are one of the primary reasons many turn to a carnivore diet. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Todd Chester) #3

Uh oh! Thanks for the heads up!

Rhubarb now. Not Kale? :slight_smile:

I do like raw spinach. Cooked it tastes like toxic waste

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #4

I LOVE raw rhubarb :scream::scream:

(Todd Chester) #5

Double scream. Huh. A good scream or a bad scream

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #6

@ToddAndMargo Lol, i was constantly told to not eat itā€¦But Iā€™m a rebel.:wink::scream::scream:ā€¦So double scream.

(Todd Chester) #7

I canā€™t tell if you are teasing me or if you really like the stuff

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #8

@ToddAndMargo No I really do like the stuff. I like the sour tanginess. Thatā€™s what scares meā€¦Itā€™s nice cooked too, but raw I can handle. Lol

(Todd Chester) #9

do you add anything to it? Stevia?

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #10

@ToddAndMargo I havenā€™t had any since ketoā€¦But I avoid sweetner usually. But if I was to have it, then yeah I would probably add Stevia.

chopped, cook it in some white wine with sweetener and a few drops of vanilla. Serve on yoghurt or with whipped cream.

(Todd Chester) #12

Thank you!

(Jennifer Kleiman) #13

We (Moonā€™s Grove Farms) make candied rhubarb with allulose that I think is pretty good but Iā€™ll be the first to admit itā€™s not our best seller. Recent etsy review: ā€œ4/5 Very interesting flavor and texture.ā€ LOL, yes, accurate.

Growing up we had rhubarb in the garden, the big thick green type not the spindly red kind. As a kid I loved picking a stalk and eating it straight, usually pealed the skin off. I still love it and intend to plant some one of these days. I love sour things, drink lemon juice and eat limes whole.

(KetoQ) #15

I grew up on raw rhubarb. In one backyard where we lived there was an apple tree, peach tree, strawberry patch, blueberry bushes, grape vines, chestnuts and a rhubarb patch.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I just discovered it. My neighbor gave me a couple of bunches. I peel,( do not eat the leaves!) the stems then slice thin and I like salt on them because the flavor is lemony with a hint of sweetness that the salt brings out. I have just munched on them, please note I am an odd ball who can eat whole raw lemons, or if having a salad, I add them chopped up to that. I think they could easily blend into a smoothie, but I havenā€™t tried that yet. .

(Todd Chester) #17

I have it on the shopping list!

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

My neighbor asked me how I liked it. Told her I loved it, she said she has way more plants than she needs and when the time to comes to prep for winter, she will give me a plant of my own so I can have it next spring. It is a gorgeous plant in spring so I am excited about that.