Returning to Keto - need help

(Mtl) #1

I started my keto journey 4 years ago. It was amazingly easy: late night cravings stop day one and i felt fulfilled after my meals, was easy to do IF. Lost 30lbs in 6 months and was happy despite being 10lbs from my goal. I maintained my weight for a long time keeping low carb most days and IF. Slowly gain back 10lbs in the past year. 6 months ago tried to get back into keto to loose the weight gain and try to reach my goal. I am struggling as my cravings remain and i never feel full and satisfied… last 2 month gained another 5lbs might be hormonal as i am 47. I am very active i run 3 days a week and walk/yoga the other weeks. Anyone did it once easy and struggle second time around but was successful? If so how did you do it?

Thank you

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

Welcome back MTL. I am in same boat as you. I found it extreamly helpful to re-read some of the old threads on here.

(Mtl) #4

Someone named exit_star sent me a link for a book but can’t open it can you please just share the name of the book would appreciate it:)!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #5

Ya, that was probably spam and removed by a MOD!

Place all carbs into garbage bags and take to local shelter or dump. Then fast for a day to clear out the glycogen and gain mental sharpness.

(Tammy) #7

I am going to start up again for fat loss. I’ve maintained for about six months.

I’m sure my problem is 1) carb creep I’m going to weigh and measure foods. And 2) added fats. You don’t need to add any fats to your day. I will “try” to limit my HWC. I don’t do the other crazy added fats, no mct oil, no coffee, I will also keep my protein up, but I don’t think this has been a problem.

Good luck.

Tammy

(Marianne) #8

My first thought is that you aren’t eating enough, especially if exercising. If you are exercising, I would do it because you like/love it and not because you may want to speed up your weight loss (if this is part of the reason). That is just another form of self-purging that we learned from conventional dieting.

I would return to the basics and trust the process. For me, that meant eating three meals a day (even though I had never done so before), until my body told me it didn’t need me to do that anymore. In the beginning, I got my fat and protein macros and met or exceeded them each day, while keeping the carbs as low under 20 as I could. Again, I did this until my body let me know I didn’t need to continue eating at that level.

Good luck on your journey.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

A ketogenic diet is not about limiting calories, but about eating in a way that works with the body, rather than against it. If you have always been trying to lose fat by cutting calories, then your body may be at the point where it really wants abundance, hence the hunger.

While lowering insulin by lowering carb intake is essential to freeing up excess fat to be metabolised, there are other things going on in the body, some of which can hinder fat loss. For instance, when we cut our food intake, the body cuts its metabolic expenditure to compensate. Short rations is the signal to the body that there is a famine going on, and it had better hunker down and conserve all possible resources, in order to get you through the hard times. By contrast, give your body an abundance of food, and it ramps up the metabolism, spending energy freely, and feeling free to draw on its store of extra energy—your stored fat.

These forums have many posts from people, especially women, who found that eating more, not less, was the key to starting their fat loss. You might give it a try. I suspect that, like me, you will at first eat a lot, but as your body begins to trust the abundance, your appetite may soon drop noticeably, as mine has done. Dr. Phinney advises eating only when hungry, stopping eating when no longer hungry, and not eating again until hungry again. In other words, don’t pay attention to the clock, just your body. If you find yourself snacking between meals, make sure it’s a low-carb snack, and then eat more at the next meal.

Thanks @PaulL - this is super-practical, solutions-focused, well-explained and exactly what I needed to read!

Much like you @Mtl I’m struggling to get back into eating well after a long break indulging my inner carb junkie and am frustrated because first time round it was so easy. It still makes as much sense for my wellbeing (including but not solely weight loss) so why can’t I just do it now like I did before? Lots of self-reproaching going on!

From what I’m gathering my mistake is trying to pick up where I left off with keto - very empowered around food, energy and self-esteem. Fasting was easy, I had no carb cravings, was steadily losing weight, and generally feeling energised. I think what I should be doing is picking up where I started originally, though.

Also I started keto when I lived alone and am now living with my partner. I can’t entirely empty the cupboards and fridge now which is taking just that little bit extra willpower that I just don’t seem to have. He’s very supportive though and he’s eating keto meals with me and we’re just trying to figure out the balance.

Meal planning very simple keto meals and having the kitchen stocked with plenty of cream, cream cheese, eggs, vegies and almond milk are some of the first minor adjustments to be made here :slight_smile:

(Alex ) #11

@Mtl

I’ve wrecked and restarted keto and general anti-carb living many times. I have to admit, every single time I start again the re-entry / restart process seems to be just a bit more savage (headaches, energy problems, bloating, cravings) - it’s absolutely not easy going into food group exclusion and re-programming your life around it, especially if you have other stresses in life with work, family, whatever.

You just have to believe in it and give yourself lots of time to adapt, the longer you do it, the better it seems to get. From my perspective, the best advice I can give is to keep your food simple, easy to make, and made from quality ingredients. The best diet/plan/lifestyle is the one you can stick to, so make it easy to stick to.

(Pragya Gupta) #12

Hi, I have an amazing Keto salad recipe with goodness of Ayurveda that I tried, sharing it with you all here.

Tangy Tex-Mex Salad

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Serves: 2 person (400ml)

Ingredients
2 cups of your favorite variety of lettuce, chopped (Romaine works best as it adds to the crunch), 1 cup of Arugula, ¼ cup of Caramelized onion, ½ cup of sliced mango, Salt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt), 1 big avocado, ½ cup plain yogurt (preferably full fat), ½ t garlic powder, ½ t cumin powder, ½ t ginger powder, 1 t honey, 1 T chopped cilantro, Juice of ½ lemon, 1 Jalapeno, Freshly ground black pepper

Method

1. For salad dressing, Blend yogurt, avocado, lemon juice, honey, garlic powder, ginger powder, cumin powder, jalapeno, salt, and olive oil into a smooth paste.
  2. In a mixing bowl, add lettuce, arugula, caramelized onions, mango, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste and drizzle the dressing on the salad. Mix together and serve.

(Mtl) #13

Thank you all for your comments it has really motivated me enough yesterday to have a good Day one ! I followed recommendation a few of you made: to eat more. I did not count anything just stayed away from carbs, took lots of greens and added heathy fats, I skipped the IF - so took a breakfast, lunch and dinner, drank plenty of water with electrolytes. I had crazy vivid dreams last night so I guess it is working because I never get to dream or remember dreams and last time I did keto I remember having crazy dreams that felt real!!! Ok week end at the cottage with friends will be a challenge but will try to stay focus. Your support and encouragement really helped thank you!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Do your best and don’t worry about it. Even if you eat a few carbs, it’s not the end of the world, unless you find yourself in the doughnut shop ordering one (dozen) of everything, lol!

I’ve never been pure Keto but definitely cut back carbs. I found my normal pattern of how to eat to hold my weight to completely stop working once I hit menopause. So you might be dealing with that. I had to go to fasting at least 36 hours at a time.