Returning to Keto after awhile but things seem different now

(Ryan Tuttle) #1

So I lowcarb/keto stuff a few years ago. When I first found it what I discovered was that if I ate low carb for about 3 days then I would feel amazing by the 3rd or 4th day. No bloating, more energy, more focus etc. I lost a bunch of weight. However, I started going to the gym in January of 2019 and I basically stopped keto and decided to just eat whatever because I was going to the gym. Things were going well more or less until I was injured in a car accident in august. Then I fell off the gym wagon and I was eating crap.

After a doctor appt showing that I had gained weight I decided to go back to low carb eating. But the odd thing is this time something is different. After being on it for over 3 days I didn’t experience the obvious change like I had experienced in the past. I used the urine strips and they show no ketosis for some reason. I am not sure what I am doing different this time. It’s a little frustrating because before the change was fairly quick and felt amazing. It could be that the strips are no good but I don’t think it is because it doesn’t feel like I am experiencing the reduction in bloating.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

3 days?

(Susan) #3

Are you keeping your carbs to 20 grams or less and tracking what you eat? Carbs are very sneaky and it can easily go over the 20 if you are not tracking.

I use cronometer.com it is a free app and you can type what you are eating to keep track of your macros.

Maybe read this over again, in case you were missing something this time around =)).

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Your body is different, it has and is probably still continuing to heal itself. Three days only, I wouldn’t be expecting much. Give it time. Keep the carbs under control and carry on.

(Ken) #5

This is all because you have still retained a significant amount of adaptation from when you went keto initially. It takes quite a while to develop all the negative resistance states that come with the NAD, so you did not follow a carb pattern heavy enough or long enough to reestablish them again. You probably never got too far into chronic overcompensation of glycogen, which really is the trigger for negative adaptation.